Could you live without the Internet for a year?

Dude Living Without Internet For a Year Will Prove What We Already Know: It’s Distracting

Dodai Stewart, July 20, 2012, www.jezebel.com

<snip>

Simple? Ha! Sounds like a huge pain in the ass. As a stunt, it's a pretty good one, but it seems like Miller has already learned in three months what living without the internet for a year can do: He says he is much more productive, he writes more, and his mind is "less cluttered." And: "There is less to distract me while I am writing." Earth-shattering! Pretty sure all of us already know that the internet is distracting. It's full of amusement and wonder and horror and rabbit-holes of ridiculousness, endless gif walls and jpegs and videos and everything. Everything. It will suck your life away if you let it.

Still, maybe we can learn something from Miller without actually going cold turkey. He says: "I am definitely coming back to the Internet, but my goal is to be a little more in control and intentional in how I approach it."

LINK

It'd be hard to go without the Interwebz for a year. I send/receive a ton of email each day--I would actually have to talk to people again. No instant weather reports at my fingertips. I'd need to figure out how to use paper maps again. Naaww, I don't think I could do it.

i would have to say that using the ipad a having someone else upload it to the internet really violates the terms of the whole no internet thing because he is not directly using it but he in indirectly using it. kind of a cheat if you ask me.

That's what I was thinking. Really if he didn't want to use the Internet he should have used a landline with a fax machine to send his story via PSTN. But maybe his editor didn't want the hassle of scanning it in at his end.

If you go without the internet for a year, you're putting yourself probably 10 years behind in your career. Nearly every job outside of manual labor requires internet and email use now. Not to mention the networking that is done via email, LinkedIn, etc.