A fan base stuck in the past and obsessively comparing the current teams to the past does have a major impact on the perception of a program.

You are correct. It means we have TRADITION which, in turn, brings a FANBASE that is PASSIONATE. So passionate they DONATE, BUY merchandise, and SELLOUT games so the University can upgrade/build FACILITIES in order to compete in the world of RECRUITING.

I don't give a damn if you want to lock yourself in your basement listening to Radiohead's Creep on repeat, but don't bash other fans who want to remember fondly the greatest stretch in Nebraska Football history.

Not looking back at the past and not pushing to return to elite status does have a MUCH, MUCH larger impact on the perception of the program.

• Fire 2

A much more interesting film (and one that would fit the 30-for-30 style much better) would be the ramifications of Steve Pederson and Bill Callahan and their assault on the tradition of the program. That might not be the best look for the program, but it would be incredibly interesting, especially if the filmmaker did a lot of digging.

it would have to be done by a local guy/gal. alexander payne?

A much more interesting film (and one that would fit the 30-for-30 style much better) would be the ramifications of Steve Pederson and Bill Callahan and their assault on the tradition of the program. That might not be the best look for the program, but it would be incredibly interesting, especially if the filmmaker did a lot of digging.

For me, A much more interesting film (but probably would NOT fit the 30 for 30 style) would be a story on the life of Brook Berringer. With the country tribute song already out there, I'm somewhat surprised it hasn't been attempted by some form of filmmaker.

A fan base stuck in the past and obsessively comparing the current teams to the past does have a major impact on the perception of a program.

Why do posts like this exist in every thread? The fan base looks bad when some fans continually try to tear down other fans, simply for being fans for longer than the last decade and remembering the great teams.

On to the actual topic, I'd rather not have ESPN do anything Nebraska related, although they have been kinder since our move to the B1G. Still don't trust 'em.

• Fire 1

Being great and having probably the greatest run for any single team in season history during the 90s was amazing, and I still rejoice in those years and brag about them to fans of other teams from time to time even though I was really young when it all went down. HOWEVER, it does bug me how much that negatively affects the national perception of our fan base. Sadly, the stereotypes are true, but it is especially annoying for me since I go to school in Missouri and worked all summer in Kansas. My 2 cents.

I'm certainly glad that the program is less focused on the 1990's than the fan base seems to be.

"You're only as good as your next game."

Spoken like a true Kansas State fan.

Go whine somewhere else. If you don't remember past glory, more's the pity for you. Pissing on everyone else's parade is childish and serves no purpose.

• Fire 3

I'm certainly glad that the program is less focused on the 1990's than the fan base seems to be.

Go whine somewhere else. If you don't remember past glory, more's the pity for you. Pissing on everyone else's parade is childish and serves no purpose.

tumblr_m7s6ciICEk1qiq5w9.gif

I'll +1 this later.

Who is whining?

If you want to live in the past, be my guest. There should be no need to even watch the games in 2012 since we were so awesome in 1995. Just watch those games on Youtube and give yourself high 5's until you're happy.

I simply voiced an opinion that living in 1995 is a bit weak, for individuals and fan bases, a full 17 years after the glory. My opinion is unchanged, despite your attemps to twist my words into a scenario where I have no respect or admiration for the past. I have great respect for Husker football, and it's history. I've been a fan for 30 years and some tantrum by a mod on a message board will not affect my fan status, nor my opinion.

Why do posts like this exist in every thread? The fan base looks bad when some fans continually try to tear down other fans, simply for being fans for longer than the last decade and remembering the great teams.

On to the actual topic, I'd rather not have ESPN do anything Nebraska related, although they have been kinder since our move to the B1G. Still don't trust 'em.

I would give you more +1's but, sadly, I can only give one per post. Agree wholeheartedly. This nonsense about forgetting the past as some kind of virtue is stupid. I have no idea where such sentiment comes from, but I have zero respect for it. We are Nebraska because of the titles in the 1970s. We are Nebraska because of the titles in the 1990s. But we are also Nebraska because of the heartache and tribulation of the 1980s and 1960s. We are also Nebraska because of the football legends of the 1920s and 1930s.

We are Nebraska because of George Flippin, because of Johnny Bender, because of Jumbo Steim, because of Dana Bible, because of [/font]Samuel Fuenning, because of Bob Devaney and Lyell Bremser and Dave Humm and Johnny Rodgers and because of Tom Osborne and Turner Gill and Mike Rozier and Steve Taylor and every player who fought and struggled and held their heads high despite never winning a championship.

We are Nebraska because of 36 straight years of beating Kansas and because of 21 straight years of beating Missouri and because of 31 straight years of beating Kansas State and because of 19 straight years of beating Colorado. We are Nebraska because we barely beat Oklahoma more than we lost to them in the greatest stretch in the history of our program.

This is who we are. It's a history that dates back 121 years. Remembering that, respecting that, cherishing that isn't wrong. It's what separates us from the rest of college football, and what sets us among the pantheon of the all-time great programs in the history of the sport.

I feel sorry for people who cant enjoy that. I pity people who have no respect for that. They're missing out on what's best about being a Nebraska Cornhusker. It's as if the definition of their fandom rests solely on this year, this game, this play or this player. Such a mindset utterly fails to grasp the grandeur of one of college football's greatest teams.

It's sad that some fans feel this way. But I don't. And I never will.

And I'll tell you this much - you're wasting your time trying to make me or any other fan who truly understands what that N on the helmet means feel like there's something wrong in recalling the glory of the past. Maybe you don't get it, but I do. More's the pity for you.

• Fire 1