What We Learned

walksalone

1. Nebraska has forgotten what has made them Nebraska football. (Power/Option football + Aggressive/Swarming Defense = The real Nebraska football.)

2 We need to return to naming permanent team captains at the beginning of the season.

3. We need to return to handing out ONLY 11 blackshirt jerseys at the beginning of the season and use those 11 jerseys as incentives to the rest of the defense that covets being defensive starters at Nebraska. Being a Blackshirt isn't just a name...it's a mindset, a style of play, an expectation of excellence.

I could go on, but I will stop at 3 for now.

-Martinez has not progressed like husker fans have hoped

-Our line play on both sides of the ball is lackluster...we got pushed around a lot

-Kenny Bell is a boss

-Ameer Abdullah has a bright future, but we missed Rex Burkhead tonight

-We need a leader of the defensive side of the ball

-Losing Dennard and David hurt just as much as I feared it would

-Pelini isn't the defensive godsend that we all thought he was

Our defense is worse this year than last year. Our secondary showed some flashes of defending well against the pass, but we should have had 3 INTs in this game. Our D-line needed to put their hands up a bit more to knockdown those passes.

Our defense got out-classed by a redshirt freshman, that is just pathetic.

I think some folks are gonna bad mouth the offense, but i think they did great in the 1st half, 24 points on UCLA was a good start, unfortunately our defense couldn't keep them from scoring so much. 2nd half was mediocre to terrible. I have to hand it to UCLA for making adjustments in the 2nd half, but our offense (Taylor Martinez) tried too hard at times to force things and make something happen because of the lack of defense we were playing.

So i have to pin the loss mostly on the defense. I think if our defense played better against UCLA, our offense wouldn't have made so many mistakes late in the 2nd half to try to come out with a win.

I'm heading out of here before the bashing party arrives.

I learned that my four year old daughter has a better grasp of tackling fundamentals than the defensive starters on our team.

What's funny is that this is true--she came at me full force to give me a hug because she felt bad about the loss, and she tackled me for a loss.

Anyone on that D, save for SJB, should be worried that she'll walk-on next year.

• Fire 1