Why all the martinez hate?

bmaher

TM is fine, he's asked to cover for the joke that is the entire staff. I personally think TM deserves some sort of college football Silver Star for trying as hard as he does for this inept staff. He's a good kid, hopefully he gets a shot at safety/ special teams or something at the next level

See above comments about going full retard in our own end zone, and apply them when you refer to the post above. Never go full retard.

• Fire 1

TM is fine, he's asked to cover for the joke that is the entire staff. I personally think TM deserves some sort of college football Silver Star for trying as hard as he does for this inept staff. He's a good kid, hopefully he gets a shot at safety/ special teams or something at the next level

You touch upon something here that others might cringe at --- but I think is perhaps a real issue. Maybe I am extrapolating from your perspective too much, and if you get flamed along with me... sorry...

You stated something about covering up for an inept staff...

I surmise that a reasonable subset of the players are, at this point, aware that the NU coaching staff is inept and in over their heads --- and that a reasonable subset of those players have lost confidence in their coaches abilities. If this is so, it is understandable. I have no knowledge in a direct sense that this is happening... but in an indirect sense we do have this...

The team is under-prepared week in and week out. They do not play aggressively and are out hustled most weeks. They play flat, look confused on the field, cannot line up correctly in a timely fashion and they are constantly frantic as the snap approaches on defense trying to determine what they are to do... All of this is consistent with coaching problems. It is rather embarrassing for our staff not to have been able to correct TMarts mechanics and an outside coach did. And most on the team read the posts here and elsewhere on other sites and there are now many, many, many posters that are calling out our coaches for their lack of performance. This is not unnoticed, I am sure, by the players. I have seen this at the HS level several times... where the players lose confidence in their coaches and they play, well... very much how we see NU playing. We have a problem and, I am afraid a problem that will not go away until this staff goes away.

• Fire 1

This loss was on the Play calling of the Offense and the inability to adjust on Defense how many times does it take to see the running back motion out of the back field and our linebacker follow him and leave the middle of the field WIDE open. We never covered it. I for sure thought that we would cover it in the 2nd half but no. Then can anyone tell me why we run the toss sweep down their throat 1 drive and when its 3rd and one we give it to the fullback to get stuffed.

You touch upon something here that others might cringe at --- but I think is perhaps a real issue. Maybe I am extrapolating from your perspective too much, and if you get flamed along with me... sorry...

I surmise that a reasonable subset of the players are, at this point, aware that the NU coaching staff is inept and in over their heads --- and that a reasonable subset of those players have lost confidence in their coaches abilities. If this is so, it is understandable. I have no knowledge in a direct sense that this is happening... but in an indirect sense we do have this...

The team is under-prepared week in and week out. They do not play aggressively and are out hustled most weeks. They play flat, look confused on the field, cannot line up correctly in a timely fashion and they are constantly frantic as the snap approaches on defense trying to determine what they are to do... All of this is consistent with coaching problems. It is rather embarrassing for our staff not to have been able to correct TMarts mechanics and an outside coach did. And most on the team read the posts here and elsewhere on other sites and there are now many, many, many posters that are calling out our coaches for their lack of performance. This is not unnoticed, I am sure, by the players. I have seen this at the HS level several times... where the players lose confidence in their coaches and they play, well... very much how we see NU playing. We have a problem and, I am afraid a problem that will not go away until this staff goes away.

I doubt you need to surmise anything, it's all pretty much cut and clear you hit the nail right on the head. Would you have confidence in this staff of boneheads? The recruiting is going to get even worse if that's possible the longer this circus is allowed to continue

I honestly never in my wildest dreams would think that what I bolded would be said about a Pellini coached team. Not saying a disagree with it. Just am shocked that it is now said about his team.

Taylor was the reason we didnt get blown out.... He had two horrible plays(that counted) the INT and safety.. the int that got brought back would have made 3.

Taylor isnt perfect, but all in all, he isnt the problem.

He is the best NE can have this season at QB..

WR's dropped balls.. O-line was inconsistent... Beck made some horrible play calls... Defense didnt take advantage of the momentum(or keep it going) from the Offenses big plays...

He played fine most of the game but he craps his pants in pressure-filled situations a lot. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the 4th quarter. I didn't like the playcalling either, but Christ most of you people will blame the coordinator for him playing like sh#t. Call it what it is. He had a great 6 quarters of football followed by 2 mediocre quarters. It happens. Unfortunately you can't count on an offensive line to always give a QB 5 seconds to stand back there and make up his mind. That's football. He has to step it up just like everyone else or we just need to run the ball and not put it in his hands when the game is on the line. I would put the order of our problems from UCLA's game from biggest to littlest in the following order:

1. Defensive Line Play

2. LB Play

3. Brett Maher suddenly sucking(all mental)

Big Gap Between

4. Offensive Playcalling in the 4th quarter

5. Taylor getting rattled

6. Offensive Line Pass Protection

7. 3 drops by WRs (may have been more but I only recall 3)

RBs and WRs are generally awesome so I'm not really concerned at all with them. Taylor is further down the list but you can't ignore the fact that he stunk it up for a while and started making more facepalm plays similar to his Holiday Bowl against Washington. With a decent defense we probably wouldn't be having this conversation at all and no one would have bothered to bring it up.

The fact is though when most quarterbacks start getting hit and have pressure right in their face their accuracy is going to decrease and bad decisions happen. Instead of passing all the time Beck should've called some run plays to both slow down the rush and calm Taylor down a little. But from little league to the nfl once quarterbacks start getting hit or pressured accuracy is going to decrease plain and simple.

bean, I don't think people believe Martinez played a perfect game nor that it wasn't his fault on that interception. That throw was definitely a bad throw and he has to be better than that. I think we're all in agreement here but have trouble saying it the right way. Here's what I think - Martinez played a pretty good first half, and spent the second half trying to win the game and getting absolutely no help around him from the coaches, his line, or his receivers. He tried to do too much, made a couple of mistakes, and they cost us. I think it's a perfect example of someone trying to carry the team and nobody being able to help him out.

Your list is very good, btw. Completely agree. Everything about the defense, and Maher, are significantly more worrisome than what we saw offensively. People seem to be forgetting that had Maher not shanked one of his last field goal attempts, we'd have been up 33-29, and who knows what would have happened then.

I would put the order of our problems from UCLA's game from biggest to littlest in the following order:

1. Defensive Line Play

2. LB Play

I would put the problems at DB ahead of any of these three. Our DBs looked like they had absolutely no clue what they were doing all the way from coverage to tackling.

I would put the order of our problems from UCLA's game from biggest to littlest in the following order:

1. Defensive Line Play

2. LB Play

I would put the problems at DB ahead of any of these three. Our DBs looked like they had absolutely no clue what they were doing all the way from coverage to tackling.

I'm sorry, but when the QB can stand back there and scratch his nuts for 5 seconds before deciding where to throw it then I blame the defensive line. It's hard to cover people for that long. I thought Mitchell played pretty well. I can't say that about any of the defensive line.

1. Defensive Line Play

2. LB Play

I'm sorry, but when the QB can stand back there and scratch his nuts for 5 seconds before deciding where to throw it then I blame the defensive line. It's hard to cover people for that long. I thought Mitchell played pretty well. I can't say that about any of the defensive line.

I disagree.

There were MANY times that the ball was thrown quickly and our DB had absolutely no play on the ball. Now, there were a few times that their receiver/TE just simply made great plays like the TD against Stafford and the long reception against Baptist. The Baptist reception was simply an amazing play by a WR.

BUT, there were many other times when the DB seemed out of position to make a play or simply was beat and it wasn't because the QB had forever in the pocket.

And, that doesn't even begin to talk about their tackling in run support.