Why all the martinez hate?

bmaher

I would put the order of our problems from UCLA's game from biggest to littlest in the following order:

1. Defensive Line Play

2. LB Play

3. Brett Maher suddenly sucking(all mental)

I would put the problems at DB ahead of any of these three. Our DBs looked like they had absolutely no clue what they were doing all the way from coverage to tackling.

I'm sorry, but when the QB can stand back there and scratch his nuts for 5 seconds before deciding where to throw it then I blame the defensive line. It's hard to cover people for that long. I thought Mitchell played pretty well. I can't say that about any of the defensive line.

I disagree.

There were MANY times that the ball was thrown quickly and our DB had absolutely no play on the ball. Now, there were a few times that their receiver/TE just simply made great plays like the TD against Stafford and the long reception against Baptist. The Baptist reception was simply an amazing play by a WR.

BUT, there were many other times when the DB seemed out of position to make a play or simply was beat and it wasn't because the QB had forever in the pocket.

And, that doesn't even begin to talk about their tackling in run support.

Which to brings up my question: when the offense is on the six yard line, and your 6' DB is man to man on a 6'6" TE, wouldn't it be prudent to jam him at the LOS and not let him run to the goal line then use his height advantage to take a jump ball for the TD.

I would put the order of our problems from UCLA's game from biggest to littlest in the following order:

1. Defensive Line Play

2. LB Play

3. Brett Maher suddenly sucking(all mental)

I would put the problems at DB ahead of any of these three. Our DBs looked like they had absolutely no clue what they were doing all the way from coverage to tackling.

I'm sorry, but when the QB can stand back there and scratch his nuts for 5 seconds before deciding where to throw it then I blame the defensive line. It's hard to cover people for that long. I thought Mitchell played pretty well. I can't say that about any of the defensive line.

I disagree.

There were MANY times that the ball was thrown quickly and our DB had absolutely no play on the ball. Now, there were a few times that their receiver/TE just simply made great plays like the TD against Stafford and the long reception against Baptist. The Baptist reception was simply an amazing play by a WR.

BUT, there were many other times when the DB seemed out of position to make a play or simply was beat and it wasn't because the QB had forever in the pocket.

And, that doesn't even begin to talk about their tackling in run support.

if your post would have singled out the safety play, I will agree with you totally. The corners especially in one on one match ups and jump balls played very well. As for the safeties it was a carousel of comedic play.

Which to brings up my question: when the offense is on the six yard line, and your 6' DB is man to man on a 6'6" TE, wouldn't it be prudent to jam him at the LOS and not let him run to the goal line then use his height advantage to take a jump ball for the TD.

At the start if the play it looks like Fauria was going to be bracketed with an extra man over the to. When they motion the help guy went with the motion man. To top it off PJ was late in his rotation to help

I also believe stomping on Barney Cotton's cubes after this loss is out of line as well.

Sorry j49 this guy just hasn't produced a good OL since he was hired. I don't think its entirely his fault because the S&C coach has to accept some of the responsibility for a group that is obviously not in the kind of condition we expect. We used to own the 4th Qtr and now we are saying, "O woe osme the OL was out of gas." 100% the S&C couch's fault for 30% of the prob. 70% rests on Cotton's shoulders. I sometimes think the only reason he's still with us is because he has sons on the team.

T_O_B

G>B>R

:bigredn:

If Maher doesn't miss and we don't go full retard in our own end zone, are we having these conversations??

Field position is an underrated area of consideration. Our field position last Sat cost us at least 11 points. Erstad's punting was a major factor in our 1st NC under TO.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I also believe stomping on Barney Cotton's cubes after this loss is out of line as well.

Sorry j49 this guy just hasn't produced a good OL since he was hired. I don't think its entirely his fault because the S&C coach has to accept some of the responsibility for a group that is obviously not in the kind of condition we expect. We used to own the 4th Qtr and now we are saying, "O woe osme the OL was out of gas." 100% the S&C couch's fault for 30% of the prob. 70% rests on Cotton's shoulders. I sometimes think the only reason he's still with us is because he has sons on the team.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I'm as big of Barney hater as you're going to find. However, I don't think our OL play in this particular game is something to go off on. We did run the ball pretty darn good against some very aggressive and fast defenders. The OL isn't going to be able to pick up the blitz each and every time. If they did, no one would ever blitz. Losing to UCLA didn't come down to how Martinez played, and it didn't come down to how the OL played.

If Maher doesn't miss and we don't go full retard in our own end zone, are we having these conversations??

Field position is an underrated area of consideration. Our field position last Sat cost us at least 11 points. Erstad's punting was a major factor in our 1st NC under TO.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Completely agree with this statement. Our field position absolutely stunk. The offense takes some of the blame. BUT, most of it comes down to defense and special teams. Our defense did not give our offense ANY form of good field position other than the one fumble they recovered.

he folds under pressure and i think this is why people are criticizing taylor. its not all his fault by any means... our d is flat our o line didnt play well. not many people had their best performance... and as people always say you see your biggest improvement from week 1 to week 2.. this is scary

Its hard to get anything accomplished when you have 1200 pounds of Dlinemen in your face all night.... Martinez and Abdullah were the only reasons we were in the game!

he folds under pressure and i think this is why people are criticizing taylor. its not all his fault by any means... our d is flat our o line didnt play well. not many people had their best performance... and as people always say you see your biggest improvement from week 1 to week 2.. this is scary

Its hard to get anything accomplished when you have 1200 pounds of Dlinemen in your face all night.... Martinez and Abdullah were the only reasons we were in the game!

some guy named Kenny Bell disagrees. But I get what your'e saying. Honestly though it was more like 1200 pounds of DL, and 600 pounds of LBers/Safeties...because they brought a couple extra quite frequently. Funny how that disrupts and offense.

some guy named Kenny Bell disagrees. But I get what your'e saying. Honestly though it was more like 1200 pounds of DL, and 600 pounds of LBers/Safeties...because they brought a couple extra quite frequently. Funny how that disrupts and offense.

Pretty sure Bell dropped a ball.

You're right, how could I forget Bell.... He is turning into an outstanding WR, and at this pace he could be the best we've had in a long long time.... Count me as a big believer in Martinez, and the offense.... Its funny, I have heard very few people mention the fact that we were playing without our best player, Rex Burkhead. If we had Rex then I believe we win that game, because in the late game situation Beck would have had no choice but to give him the ball. As an OC you couldn't forget about Rex in that situation, the way that Beck apparently forgot about Abdullah....