Nebraska Defense tries to 'stop the bleeding'

ladyhawke

"I have been through this before and I have a good idea on how to fix it," Pelini said.

Ummm....he's been through it for about 3 seasons now and it's still not fixed. Gotta wonder.

Exactly!

I'm all about being aboard the Bo Train. I'm not trying to unduly rip the guy, but listen - if your calling card is tremendous defense, there is never an excuse for a game like this at UCLA. And we've had several like this over Bo's tenure.

Enough with the words. Bo says all the right words. I'm sick of hearing the words. Just get this crap fixed.

• Fire 2

+1 for you knapp. That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm not getting all over him and bashing him, but if you are a Defensive guy, then the defense should be pretty good. I could see struggles on offense with what's happened over those years, but the defensive struggles have me really wondering.

H

"I have been through this before and I have a good idea on how to fix it," Pelini said.

Ummm....he's been through it for about 3 seasons now and it's still not fixed. Gotta wonder.

Exactly!

I'm all about being aboard the Bo Train. I'm not trying to unduly rip the guy, but listen - if your calling card is tremendous defense, there is never an excuse for a game like this at UCLA. And we've had several like this over Bo's tenure.

Enough with the words. Bo says all the right words. I'm sick of hearing the words. Just get this crap fixed.

Yeah hard to disagree with this sentiment at this point. I can handle guys not being as athletic because you're still figuring out how to recruit and be the man but I can't handle the fundamental mistakes. I mean if Mike Leach has recievers running poor routes and lineman misreading blitzes constantly and poor in game adjustments on the offensive side in his 4th year at WSU do you think people will begin to question his ability as an offensive guy?

Exactly!

This is Bo Pelini. His defenses should not "need fixing". They should be a well oiled machine throttling opponents, eating running backs for lunch and pooping qb's from day one. I would have thought after last years debacle with the defense he would have "fixed" it before this season ever started.

Exactly!

This is Bo Pelini. His defenses should not "need fixing". They should be a well oiled machine throttling opponents, eating running backs for lunch and pooping qb's from day one. I would have thought after last years debacle with the defense he would have "fixed" it before this season ever started.

Um,

I can recall several instances on the 2005-2007 LSU team where his defense got gashed plenty of times. Or an OU team against USC. Hell, KState in 2003.

Even the best defenses are prone to lapses. I'm not thrilled at the performance of the defense so far this year, but these comments border on the unreasonable.

• Fire 3

Exactly!

Absolutely. There should be nothing needing fixing. This defense is still on the blocks, no transmission, chassis out of alignment, leaking oil.

At this point in his tenure we should be polishing the tires, not looking for any old retread we can find.

Exactly!

Um,

I can recall several instances on the 2005-2007 LSU team where his defense got gashed plenty of times. Or an OU team against USC. Hell, KState in 2003.

Even the best defenses are prone to lapses. I'm not thrilled at the performance of the defense so far this year, but these comments border on the unreasonable.

I agree, great defenses are prone to lapses and will trip themselves up every once in a while. However....when the Huskers defense is constantly tripping over themselves trying to figure out what it's supposed to do, it becomes a problem and a concern. We've seen what Bo's defense are capable of when they're working like that well oiled machine. It's the inconsistency that bothers me. I'm not on the "fire Bo" bandwagon but I'll be honest, this is getting old real quick.

The scary thing is these are his guys. His recruits. Guys who have only known the "Bo way". Why are some guys (in year 5 with BO) still making fundamental errors. I hate to say it, but if these errors have not been fixed yet, they won't be no matter what the coach speak says. Maybe he can change schemes and just attack. Use the athletes to play. Move to a 3-4 and bring in Cooper/Osbourne/Smith/SJB as LB's with Compton/Santos/Anderson (Compton guy is slow, but at least he makes tackles) A better scheme will also make sure that Compton is never on an Island covering a back or receiver.

Bring back Super D with SJB as a LB. Keep the 4-3, but have 2 of our 3 backers be converted safeties. Hell the B1G isn't as bruising as it was made out to be.

Ticks me off to hear Bo last year say the B1G will have to adjust to us. We owned the spread teams in the Big XII and one year removed we get owned by a spread team in UCLA. We need speed. TO knew we needed speed, hell Paps and Bo admitted we need speed. If it is on the bench in the true fresh, throw them to the wolves and get them some experience.

Exactly!

There is no question the responsibility for the defense falls on Bo, but the guy didn't just forget how to coach defense. His scheme works, he has proved that for years now. I think where Bo has failed is on the recruiting front. He has missed on some of his defensive guys his first few classes, that fact is showing it's head now. I will give Bo some credit though, because it seems that he is on his way to fixing the issues with better recruiting. This last years class seems to have better athletes.

In my opinion Bo is a fantastic coach, and a great defensive mind. Where Bo, and Saban are seperated is in the fact that Saban CAN afford to miss on some recruits, whereas Bo CAN"T.... And he clearly has....

Rock, please do not compare Bo to Saben, that is laughable.

In what way? I agree that Sab"a"n is a much more accomplished coach, but is he a better defensive mind then Pelini? The perception seems to be that they are similar in that aspect, even though their schemes are different. Saban has the benefit of MUCH better talent. We have seen what Bo can do with similar talent, and it is pretty special. That 2009 D with Suh, Hagg, Gomes, Prince, Dennard, and Crick was absolutely stifling.

I would agree that Bo has a long way to go to be compared to Saban when it comes to accomplishments, but I don't know if Bo takes a back seat to anybody in football when it comes to defensive knowledge.

I think the big issue is that the scheme may be too complicated. Not saying i would change it, but there needs to be a better job teaching it. His best athletes are not on the field. Why, because they don't know the defense well enough. If you look at the tape of the last game, a lot of guys where just getting in the proper alignment when the ball was snapped. At that time, they didn't have enough time to comprehend and react. Your a lot quicker when your ready to go.