Over-all discusion on the D

I thought at one point we had four defensive ends on the field a la NY Giants. Probably the way to go in obvious passing situations.

I loved seeing the Giants do that last year because of how well it worked. It'd be great if we saw it more this year.

Yeah, it's awesome. I first noticed them doing it in '07 when they still had Michael Strahan.

At some point I'd like to see Moss in there instead of Meredith to see if he can rush the passer. Put Moss and Carter on the inside with Ankrah and Martin on the end. Could get interesting.

The look that was shown yesterday was more of a hybrid 5-2 look with Cam and Eric playing stand up roles. It had been seen a little last fall. They still have the more standard 3-4 look that Bo has been tinkering with since last year as has been said earlier

Overall there are a few things that need working on. With reps I think these things can easily be corrected. What I really liked seeing was a steady rotation of bodies throughout the game. At times it created some confusion and guys were scrambling of the field very late. But it let guys stay fresh throughout the game and at Jerry points in a drive.

Seisay looks the part of a beat of a corner physically and played well in his debut. Avery moss keeps impressing me, just wish he hasn't gotten hurt yesterday so he could continue gaining experience.

Sometimes a game like this is what a unit needs to get going. That stand after the Ameer punt fiasco its one of those confidence building moments. Let's hope that may be the case

They looked great..........except the team they were playing didnt have a pulse. We have seen this year in and year out, look great agianst inferior competition and the second we play a decent team we either eek out a win or lose due to bonehead mistakes. Not too excited about this team so far.

Aplin was player of the year last year in the Sun-Belt and Oku is no slouch at RB either. Yes they were an inferior team, but we still kept a good offense from scoring and I was impressed. Wonder what Malzan's thoughts were on our D?

Doesn't Oku have a kid in Lincoln?

I thought it was a soild defensive effort. Considering so many people were thinking this was going to be 2007 vs. Ball State all over again and ASU had averaged over 500 yrds a game I don't think we need to complain. I understand where some people are coming from saying JP should attack more, but with that type of offense it's a very risk/reward type thing. You get too crazy and all of a sudden they have a play maker in space. Just one play to think about is the double pass, if PJ Smith doesn't stay home and contain all of a sudden ASU would have had a TD and people would be calling for JP's head...

9th ranked offense....mid-major conference....the defense did great. They played with a lot of fire and made it easy for the offense to stay with what they do best. I think the coaches recognized something had to be done and got off to a good start.

Martinez has to take care of the ball, on the other hand. It didn't matter this time but he's capable of some crazy stuff when it counts.

9th ranked offense....mid-major conference....the defense did great. They played with a lot of fire and made it easy for the offense to stay with what they do best. I think the coaches recognized something had to be done and got off to a good start.

Martinez has to take care of the ball, on the other hand. It didn't matter this time but he's capable of some crazy stuff when it counts.

Neither of those fumbles were really his fault. The first one was a pass pro failure where his boots got knocked from his blind side,and the second, Braylon just kinda elbowed the ball out on a PA pass. Miscue of playcalling most likely. The only one that was a problem for me really was the Marrow fumble. Even in garbage time. The others are all either oddities that won't generally occur, or a ghost fumble by Ameer.

We ran some 3-4.. also ran a bit of 3-3-5. Ran some standard 4-3 and some 4-3 where all four down linemen were actually DE's.

Cooper looked good at the Peso position.

All three touted young guys looked really solid. Zaire, Seisay and Santos.

Meredith still can't chase down anything if he gets sucked inside. He needs to be moved to DT IMO. Let Ankrah and Martin start at DE with Moss and Carter as the primary backups. (and I'd put Fisher at DE too once in a while)

Neither of those fumbles were really his fault. The first one was a pass pro failure where his boots got knocked from his blind side,and the second, Braylon just kinda elbowed the ball out on a PA pass. Miscue of playcalling most likely. The only one that was a problem for me really was the Marrow fumble. Even in garbage time. The others are all either oddities that won't generally occur, or a ghost fumble by Ameer.

The first one was a completely blown blocking assignment by Ben Cotton. Dude has been really, really bad at his blocking thus far this year.

Neither fumble was the fault of the QB.