TO

MT949597

I think most fans, those over age 30 anyway, learned a lesson in humility and patience during the Pedey years. We are fortunate that Tom was willing to step in to put things right.

In Tom We Trust. That probably sums it up for me. Who better to guide this school right now, and for as long as he wants? If Tom ever decides a change needs to be made, whether it be football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, I trust that he knows better than I do, and better than anyone.

For football that time has not come, and I trust Tom's wisdom in this.

I think Tom will probably step down in the next few years, as well. I only hope we get someone half as good to take up this important work. We don't need another disaster because alumni, donors, fans, got impatient. The football world is very different than it was in the 90's, and we would be foolish to change this staff when they continue to win this many games. Sure, we all want championships, but never forget there are an ever-increasing number of schools with that same goal, and growing resources. It will not be an easy accomplishment, but a sure way to never get there is to change coaches every 4 years.

See Texas A&M for a good example of this. They have 3, maybe 4, head coaches they are currently paying off. Sumlin may get the job done there, but I doubt it. I suspect Sumlin will develop into a solid coach with a decent record and very few breakthroughs.

Honestly guys I get some of you would run through a wall for TO, but your all telling me that at this point in his career and the best thing for Nebraska is keep him as the AD, with our football program remaining in the exact same place it's been since 2008, heck 2002 for that matter. I'm all for TO and respect the Hell out what he did for our program and think he might go down as the greatest college football coach of all time and love him for it, but as the AD I don't know if I can say the same.

Its pretty obvious you don't know Tom nor have you had any dealings with him. I can tell you he's done a great job and is doing a very good job still. He's shown that he can make tough decisions like firing Doc whom was a very good and close friend for the betterment of the program. He also made a very difficult change for him with Anderson in the baseball program. He's continued the improvements that Steve Pederson started (say what you will about Pedy he knew how to build building) and the fundraising levels have been outstanding. He's also helped us navigate to a more stable conference where the school (not sports) will be much better off for the long term. While I don't always agree with some of his thoughts and he's not afraid to do whats also good for Tom if he desires, I can't really complain about the job he's done.

Having personally been around the athletic department under the previous two AD's and knowing several employees from high to low levels there I will say its the most stable and comfortable that it has been there in my adult life. He's still got the vigor to do what needs to be done and I will say the only thing taking a toll on his health is his age and there really isn't anything anyone can do about that.

Please run along now to the RSS where the sky falls hourly and the IQ's are below sea level.

RSS has become a joke, you won't hear an argument from me.

First off, let me say this is the discussion I wanted and I knew I'd get the response I did the moment I mentioned TO, unless you're saying something positive you don't say anything at all on that subject in Husker Land, I get it, it's a thing of respect and I would never disrespect TO, I just wanted to know if it was time for change in the AD, it's well documented Bo and TO have had their issues and Bo and the AD have had their issues and that's as much on Bo, but the question comes that many people want to know is what if Bo struggles the rest of the year, will TO be able to put aside the fact that even though he hired Bo he realizes he needs to go in different or will he ride out something that isn't working and allow the new AD to figure it all out wants he leaves, I truly feel from what I've heard he wants the Bo experiment to work, but if he doesn't will he wait or will he act.

Is it?.............

Really. Is it? I can't find it, and if it was "well" documented, it shouldn't be hard to find. Granted, TO has had to calm Bo down a couple times, and Bo apologized for a couple things; but I never seen a documented story where Bo and Tom do not like each other. I love my Dad, and I'm sure he loves me, we have a great relationship. But he's called me out on some things that I've later apologized for...

It's week 3 in the 2012 football season..... We are 2-1... OMG WE HAVE ONE LOSS FIRE BO!... Can we see how the season pans out please. If we lose the rest of our games then yes fire Bo, or at least put him on the very hot seat but that won't happen.

And fire T.O. also. I'm still mad about those 7 straight bowl losses, and he did absolutely nothing after that.

It's week 3 in the 2012 football season..... We are 2-1... OMG WE HAVE ONE LOSS FIRE BO!... Can we see how the season pans out please. If we lose the rest of our games then yes fire Bo, or at least put him on the very hot seat but that won't happen.

And fire T.O. also. I'm still mad about those 7 straight bowl losses, and he did absolutely nothing after that.

Yea I mean CMON it took him how long to win the big one? :sarcasm But in all honesty he means a ton to the University of Nebraska and the football program. He will step down when either asked or when he sees fit. I'm not in a rush to find a new ball coach or AD.

Has Tom's time as the AD run its course? Is he going to make the decisions needed for this program to succeed, is a job with this level of stress put on an individual at his age the right thing at this point in time. I can tell youhave I've heard stories about how people close to him are concerned with his health and this job isn't good for him much longer, thoughts? And I know in some people's mind TO could never do any wrong.

Lets get rid Tom because he only gave us a new basketball facility, a new basketball arena, a renovated devaney for volleyball, and an expanded football stadium.

Don't forget the conference change. That's a big deal (no pun intended).

First off, let me say this is the discussion I wanted and I knew I'd get the response I did the moment I mentioned TO, unless you're saying something positive you don't say anything at all on that subject in Husker Land, I get it, it's a thing of respect and I would never disrespect TO, I just wanted to know if it was time for change in the AD, it's well documented Bo and TO have had their issues and Bo and the AD have had their issues and that's as much on Bo, but the question comes that many people want to know is what if Bo struggles the rest of the year, will TO be able to put aside the fact that even though he hired Bo he realizes he needs to go in different or will he ride out something that isn't working and allow the new AD to figure it all out wants he leaves, I truly feel from what I've heard he wants the Bo experiment to work, but if he doesn't will he wait or will he act.

It's not time. So now you know. /thread

• Fire 1

Honestly guys I get some of you would run through a wall for TO, but you're all telling me that at this point in his career and the best thing for Nebraska is keep him as the AD, with our football program remaining in the exact same place it's been since 2008, heck 2002 for that matter. I'm all for TO and respect the Hell out what he did for our program and think he might go down as the greatest college football coach of all time and love him for it, but as the AD I don't know if I can say the same.

It is apparent that you think TO is less than acceptable as an AD. I would really need to see your case for that supposition because from my vantage point he has done wonders in that position. I won't reiterate some the advancements our school and sports programs have made under TO, you only need to read some of the preceding posts for those. You have posited only 2 points about why he is not fit to be the AD; 1-That our football program is in the exact same place it has been since 2008 & 2-That somebody said something about it not being good for his health. I would counter that the football program is not in the exact same place. We are out of the Big 12 and in the B1G and, I don't know about you but, I feel like the program is headed in the right direction. Have we won any CCG's or NC's in the last few years? No we haven't but I think there is a lot to be said for having some stability and seeing some on field improvement, although seemingly slow, and some growth in the HC. I am guessing that your real problem in this regard is Pelini as HC. If that is your concern then please address it as such instead of dragging Tom into it. He has shown he will and can make the difficult personel decisions when the time is appropriate. The issue here is that it is not the time. Schools that fire coaches with a record like Pelini would constantly be in flux. As for Tom's health, I think that issue is best left up to Tom and his family. I'm guessing he will know a lot better than anyone else when it is adversely affecting his job performance or his own health.

So, what is it precisely that TO is failing at in his role of AD? You'll need to explain it cuz I sure don't see it. Not even remotely.

Alright so my feelings may not 100% sincere in this thread, first I do worry about TO's health and what all this pressure is doing to his health, but honestly with TO as the AD for now it's fine, but if something does need to happen with the football program I'm hoping he will do it, which he cares too much about this program not to. And TO knows how to handle the boosters don't worry about that. But when this thread was going nowhere because I legitimately wanted to know how people felt about TO and how much longer he could do this job but nobody was giving a response and I know this group well enough that the only way to get a legit discussion going was to create a little controversy. There were some posters who did think TO has done his job and he could move on. No big deal, I just wanted to get people's true feelings and if that meant playing the bad guy so be it.