Lightning in a Bottle

Bill Snyder is doing it TODAY in the state of Kansas. So much for the popular "changed landscape will forever doom Nebraska" theory. It is damn hard to make that argument when you have guys like him proving it otherwise with less resources than we have here. If K State can do what it does with less, then we certainly can have a Top 10 program that is in the national conversation in most years and plays occasionally for the big one. For those that say we can't achieve that, please explain why it is impossible to find a recipe for success like Snyder's, and I'll never mention his name again.

Doesn't he have a huge amount of JUCO's on his squad?

I don't know the exact number of the current squad, but they have had remarkable success with juco players over the years. Bishop, etc

We were actually very good in the late 1800's through 1920's, including a season where we didn't give up a single point we didn't become 4th in all time wins (that's more than Oklahoma, Ohio state and Alabama mind you) by being good for only 40 years. Nebraska had some amazing history before the Devany Era, for example The famed Four Horsemen of Notre Dame only lost two games in their four year run....both to Nebraska.

We weren't a fluke, Nebraska really is one of the greatest programs of all time.

There is nothing wrong with JUCO players as we take them as well. The name of the game is to get the best possible talent one can get. If we can get 3 or 4 big time JUCO players at positions of needs sprinkled in with the high school kids, we will be doing alright. More times than not those JUCO kids are equivlent to 4* star high school kids and on occasions are 5* talents (Auburn won their NC due to Newton and Fairley).

College football, like all things is cyclic.

We had an extraordinary run for about 4 years. We had an outstanding group of teams from the 70's through the early 2000's. This spoiled a lot of us, but just because we might be a bit spoiled, doesn't mean we're not ungrateful.

Lo's post really struck a chord. We need that one guy, and I don't think T-mart is that guy. We had that guy in Suh. We all were fortunate enough to watch him be able to complete take over games on his own. I'm not sure where that next guy is going to come from, but all I know, we need to find him fast.

One things that really KILLED us, and small population schools in general, is when the prop 48 thing went out the window. That was probably the only thing that helped us be able to recruit as well the southern and west coast teams. We could get those kids in here, help them with their school work, get them a college degree, and they helped us with their talent. I swear it was squashed so we couldn't be so good all the time(conspiracy theory of course).

One things that really KILLED us, and small population schools in general, is when the prop 48 thing went out the window. That was probably the only thing that helped us be able to recruit as well the southern and west coast teams. We could get those kids in here, help them with their school work, get them a college degree, and they helped us with their talent. I swear it was squashed so we couldn't be so good all the time(conspiracy theory of course).

Conspiracy theory aside, we did use that to our advantage. Jared Tomich is a good example. He wanted to go to Purdue or Notre Dame, both local schools to him, but they wouldn't accept partial qualifiers, so he came to Nebraska. He didn't take his tests with the other kids, he had a tutor give him his tests verbally. (that is a fact). Came as a walk-on, but ended up being an All-American.

Bill Snyder is doing it TODAY in the state of Kansas. So much for the popular "changed landscape will forever doom Nebraska" theory. It is damn hard to make that argument when you have guys like him proving it otherwise with less resources than we have here. If K State can do what it does with less, then we certainly can have a Top 10 program that is in the national conversation in most years and plays occasionally for the big one. For those that say we can't achieve that, please explain why it is impossible to find a recipe for success like Snyder's, and I'll never mention his name again.

Doesn't he have a huge amount of JUCO's on his squad?

I don't know the exact number of the current squad, but they have had remarkable success with juco players over the years. Bishop, etc

Kansas has a big JUCO population. Rozier came from Cofffeyville, KS. Good for Snyder for using that resource.

Yes, he is doing it. Bill Snyder also has his own formula for success. It was not Nebraska's formula. He has had 2 good years so far since he came back. Lets see how he does next year.

Yes, he is doing it. Bill Snyder also has his own formula for success. It was not Nebraska's formula. He has had 2 good years so far since he came back. Lets see how he does next year.

True. How many MNC's does Bill have.

I have to agree with the down hill run in recruiting partially due to not accepting partial qualifiers. Most people don't or did not understand Prop 48. Tomich is Dyslexic and therefore qualified to have the test read to him. That doesn't mean he is dumb, just means he needed the extra help. Now, not having the advantage in recruiting these kids, you now see smaller U's and Colleges competing at higher levels because they can accept Prop 48. I know Nebraska took a lot of heat for their Prop 48 kids, especially from our then conference brothers, but at least we gave them a chance to play Division 1 at a high level.

I have to agree with the down hill run in recruiting partially due to not accepting partial qualifiers. Most people don't or did not understand Prop 48. Tomich is Dyslexic and therefore qualified to have the test read to him. That doesn't mean he is dumb, just means he needed the extra help. Now, not having the advantage in recruiting these kids, you now see smaller U's and Colleges competing at higher levels because they can accept Prop 48. I know Nebraska took a lot of heat for their Prop 48 kids, especially from our then conference brothers, but at least we gave them a chance to play Division 1 at a high level.

And get a degree/education.

MNC or not, what Snyder does works and you can't deny it! What he does isn't that much different than the Nebraska Way in reality. Actually what he is doing now is a LOT closer to Osborne than what Bo is doing or has always done.

The style Bill Snyder uses is just plain and simple smart hard nosed football. There is no other way to explain it. Play hard, don't make silly mistakes, don't turn over the ball, force turn-overs, great special teams, run the ball and pass enough down field to keep the opponent honest. Doesn't that sound familiar?

MNC or not, what Snyder does works and you can't deny it! What he does isn't that much different than the Nebraska Way in reality. Actually what he is doing now is a LOT closer to Osborne than what Bo is doing or has always done.

The style Bill Snyder uses is just plain and simple smart hard nosed football. There is no other way to explain it. Play hard, don't make silly mistakes, don't turn over the ball, force turn-overs, great special teams, run the ball and pass enough down field to keep the opponent honest. Doesn't that sound familiar?

His formula works for him. Again there is no denying it. But you arn't looking at the big picture, you are looking at right now. Two years ago the mildcats were 6-6. Everyone on this board would have blown a gasket if NU was 6-6 in a year. They would have wanted BP fired. BS might be 6-6 next year. The reason why they are so good is Colin Klien. He is a great QB. Big, strong and was all the intangables. He is a winner

Bill Snyder is a frickin anomoly. What would he do at an Alabama, or USC(shivers)? He just quite have the horses it takes to get over the top. Cant stand Kansas St. but have the upmost respect for Bill Snyder. What he has done, twice now, is insanely incredible. Comparing anyone to him is as ridiculous as comparing them to Osborne. Snyder may even have a slight edge on Osborne, because he's done with crap to start with, TWICE.

His formula works for him. Again there is no denying it. But you arn't looking at the big picture, you are looking at right now. Two years ago the mildcats were 6-6. Everyone on this board would have blown a gasket if NU was 6-6 in a year. They would have wanted BP fired. BS might be 6-6 next year. The reason why they are so good is Colin Klien. He is a great QB. Big, strong and was all the intangables. He is a winner

Wasn't this his first year after returning from retirement? He was left a dumpster fire from the previous coach and had to rebuild the program. If I had to root for someone other than Nebraska it would be Ks St. In spite of the recruiting disadvantages inherant to Ks St, Bill S has produced a consistant winner. If we overcame our disadvantages as well as they have we would be a top 5 program.