What are Your Expectations??

Year in and year out, what exactly are your expectations for Husker football? What would make you content every year?

Honestly, what are your hopes for Husker football every year?

Ok I'll contribute. My expectations are that we are pre-ranked in the top 7 every year without question. I expect us to be among the dominating forces in college football every year - bc if Alabama, Oregon, LSU, OU, Florida, and even UT can all play (do that), why shouldn't we? I expect us to be favored to win almost every game even if it's close - and then win. I expect us to have a QB that is a baller. I expect our defense to be the badass Blackshirts that makes the opponents nervous. I expect us to protect our house! We don't lose at home - ever. I expect us to be tough enough that we always find ways to win on the road no matter who we play and the other teams think they "almost had us beat". I expect us to win.

When we lose my expectations drop based on how we lose. Sometimes the better team loses in the end. Occasionally we get outplayed and the other team deserved to win.

Losing a game by 10+ points is to ask me to lower my expectations. Winning 8-9 games a year does the same. Since we have a 12 game schedule every year plus a bowl game (13 math majors) I expect us to win 11 every year. Which means there are 2 games that we could possibly lose. Which takes weeks to get over the fact.

I have not been content in years. I have just been someone who has played all the major sports and excelled and had high expectations from myself and held my teammates accountable and together we have always / mostly won. So in other words, when I see what we see on the widescreen - I just cannot believe how stiff and unsure these guys play (except a handful who make us all proud). And I see the players take on the persona of their sourpuss angry coach that bitches at the refs when the chips are falling. They don't do that when we play Arkansas State. Leaders lead, adjust, stay focused and determined - and bring out the best in their teammates and/or players. So that's what I expect.

Now as far as the product we have each week, each year? I just bite my lip and keep my mouth shut. I'd like to just brush off all probables and try to enjoy a game as it unwinds. I have taught myself and learned to tolerate it to some degree because you have to become numb in order to deal with any outcome or else you will just go crazy. :)

Those are my expectations.

With all things considered, going 8-4 has been the staff and team's MO for the past several years which makes me think that things will be more the same. Not solely because of the record, but because of what happens on the field. So I just expect them to do that and I roll with it. Content or not.

Year in and year out, what exactly are your expectations for Husker football? What would make you content every year?

Honestly, what are your hopes for Husker football every year?

Ok I'll contribute. My expectations are that we are pre-ranked in the top 7 every year without question. I expect us to be among the dominating forces in college football every year - bc if Alabama, Oregon, LSU, OU, Florida, and even UT can all play (do that), why shouldn't we? I expect us to be favored to win almost every game even if it's close - and then win. I expect us to have a QB that is a baller. I expect our defense to be the badass Blackshirts that makes the opponents nervous. I expect us to protect our house! We don't lose at home - ever. I expect us to be tough enough that we always find ways to win on the road no matter who we play and the other teams think they "almost had us beat". I expect us to win.

When we lose my expectations drop based on how we lose. Sometimes the better team loses in the end. Occasionally we get outplayed and the other team deserved to win.

Losing a game by 10+ points is to ask me to lower my expectations. Winning 8-9 games a year does the same. Since we have a 12 game schedule every year plus a bowl game (13 math majors) I expect us to win 11 every year. Which means there are 2 games that we could possibly lose. Which takes weeks to get over the fact.

I have not been content in years. I have just been someone who has played all the major sports and excelled and had high expectations from myself and held my teammates accountable and together we have always / mostly won. So in other words, when I see what we see on the widescreen - I just cannot believe how stiff and unsure these guys play (except a handful who make us all proud). And I see the players take on the persona of their sourpuss angry coach that bitches at the refs when the chips are falling. They don't do that when we play Arkansas State. Leaders lead, adjust, stay focused and determined - and bring out the best in their teammates and/or players. So that's what I expect.

Now as far as the product we have each week, each year? I just bite my lip and keep my mouth shut. I'd like to just brush off all probables and try to enjoy a game as it unwinds. I have taught myself and learned to tolerate it to some degree because you have to become numb in order to deal with any outcome or else you will just go crazy. :)

Those are my expectations.

With all things considered, going 8-4 has been the staff and team's MO for the past several years which makes me think that things will be more the same. Not solely because of the record, but because of what happens on the field. So I just expect them to do that and I roll with it. Content or not.

As I stated in my OP: I like the idea of end season rankings, with the Huskers in the 10-15 range on a yearly basis. With rankings like that, we would be playing in some CCG's. Some years we would be in the top 10, some years around 15-20.

What are my expections for Nebraska football?

I would like Nebraska to have big, tough players that go out and work hard, expect to win games and lose very hard. I want players that refuse to get beat, who have a lot of pride. I want Nebraska's players to be the ones who intimidate by their play and presence, not the ones being intimidated.

The wins and competing for championships will then take care of themselves...and the occasional losses will not be embarrassing.

Undefeated National championship seasons would still not be good enough for many. They are just wired that way.

You don't really believe this do you?

My answer: finish top 20 every year and be in the national title hunt every 5-10 years. Would be nice to have a conference championship once every 5 years.

My expectations:

1. Win at least 9 to 10 games.

2. Be competitive every game.

3. Be competitive for the league championship (not just the division championship) every year. Be in the hunt for a national championship like we always were from 1969 to 2001.

4. Consistent play on both sides of the ball game in, game out. I hate hate HATE this jeckal and hyde crap that's plagued us for the last 5 years. I am so tired of wondering which team will show up.

4a. Beat teams that we should beat and beat the handily (See Wisconsin)

5. I wanna see us start recruiting better players out of HIGH SCHOOL. I'd really like us to start getting some kids who we can establish a base around. These JUCO players we get, while good, are only quick fix solutions and before we all know it....they're gone.

6. Steal a page from Damon Benning, we need to start recruiting athletes who match our system. We are killing ourselves trying to convert QB's with no spread experience into our system.

7. Finishing in the Top 15 AP/Coaches Polls annually.

They're all simple expectations. I want us to be back in everyone's minds like OU, Alabama, USC, etc, etc are every year just like we used to.

1 - Play hard and be competitive in every single game. No exceptions.

2 - Play good defense, the Blackshirts need to mean something.

3 - A top 15 finish every year, This is not crazy, it still allows for 2-3 losses a year. Not every year can any team with them all, but 4 losses is not something we need to see year in and out.

4 - Make regular appearances in the B1G title game. And win at least half of the appearances.

I'm not asking for anything we didn't have from the 70s through 2001.

Just want to say I am a B1G Husker fan from out here in Massachusetts,where we have horrible high school & college football.I usually stay away from message boards but NU's struggles lately have led me to comment a bit.

My expectations for Nebraska football is to always:

1.) compete for conference championships

2.) compete for national championships & respect

3.) recruit the type of student athlete that fits the mold of the Nebraska people and midwest(went to college in ohio)

4.) continue the strong walk on program

5.) play hard and to dominate on defense

We have not done the last part lately and there needs to be changes made in recruiting and on the defensive staff.

THIS UNIT IS CALLED THE BLACKSHIRTS,IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE INTIMIDATING AND MEAN AND AGGRESSIVE.WE ARE SUPPOSE TO ATTACK OUR OPPONENTS THE SAME WAY THE PIRATES DID AS THEY FLEW THE JOLLY ROGERS HIGH AND PROUD IN THE 1700'S.

Just want to say I am a B1G Husker fan from out here in Massachusetts,where we have horrible high school & college football.I usually stay away from message boards but NU's struggles lately have led me to comment a bit.

My expectations for Nebraska football is to always:

1.) compete for conference championships

2.) compete for national championships & respect

3.) recruit the type of student athlete that fits the mold of the Nebraska people and midwest(went to college in ohio)

4.) continue the strong walk on program

5.) play hard and to dominate on defense

We have not done the last part lately and there needs to be changes made in recruiting and on the defensive staff.

THIS UNIT IS CALLED THE BLACKSHIRTS,IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE INTIMIDATING AND MEAN AND AGGRESSIVE.WE ARE SUPPOSE TO ATTACK OUR OPPONENTS THE SAME WAY THE PIRATES DID AS THEY FLEW THE JOLLY ROGERS HIGH AND PROUD IN THE 1700'S.

Well at least you had the Pixies :-)

Nice post too, stick around.

And the others above, good stuff. It's nice to hear the high expects remain without rose colored glasses...just strong beliefs.

5. I wanna see us start recruiting better players out of HIGH SCHOOL. I'd really like us to start getting some kids who we can establish a base around. These JUCO players we get, while good, are only quick fix solutions and before we all know it....they're gone.

I'm more than okay with our recruiting of the JUCO ranks. The only JUCO guys we get are guys that make an impact on the depth or playmaking ability of the team. If we didn't recruit JUCO guys, we would never have had the privilege of calling Damion Stafford, Dejon Gomes, Lavonte David, Yoshi Hardrick, and many others Huskers.

My expectations are simple (seemingly)...

1. Put our best athletes on the field at EVERY position (including QB)

2. Not get embarrassed on national TV twice every season

3. To have a D not quit EVER no matter what the score

4. Develop back-ups

5. Develop the talent they do get

6. Utilize the strengths of your QB (not a pocket passer)

7. Protect the football

8. Appoint team captains for season

9. Give out Blackshirts before season starts (back-ups, you want one...earn it! Starters, you want to keep it...get better!)

10. Ditch 2-gap

11. Blitz, blitz and blitz some more

12. If something works on O, stick with it.

13. Recruit speed

14. Find new special teams coach