What can Bo do to regain your support

Honestly, Bo would have to almost literally become a completely different person to regain my support. Sure, winning would help me be a little more willing to look past some things. But at the end of the day, I just flat don't like the way he comes off and represents Nebraska.

If our record was exactly what it is today and Bo just had a little bit of class, I'd be much more supportive of him. But the guy acts like a little bitch constantly and embarrasses Nebraska. From his entitled stance when he wasn't handed Frank's job to the way he treated Bill Snyder to his wife's FUSP gloves...all the way through to the flipping the clipboard at our own crowd to just flat out acting like a dick to every single media member he comes across to his sideline tantrums and everything in between. There really are too many instances to name or try to remember. An isolated instance like that or two and it's a funny side note on who Bo is. But Bo's personality flaws and tantrums and outbursts and the like are so frequent that they have come to define who he is and truly override any positive personality traits he may posses. And, unfortunately, those same flaws are coming to define Nebraska football. I have a problem with that.

The Nebraska I know doesn't act that way. Nebraska people don't act that way. Bo is less "Nebraska" than any head coach I can remember and he's not who I want as a face for one of the things that identifies Nebraska the most. He's not the perception I want the rest of the college football nation to have of Nebraska. The way he acts is not what I want my son/daughter growing up idolizing.

So, he would have to completely change who he is in order to gain back my support and given that he's in his 40's, I don't see that happening. He is who he is and it's not who I want representing our once proud Nebraska program.

The Nebraska "you know" was gone as of January 3, 1998.

• Fire 1

With all of the Bo stinks posts, I wanted to see what y'all think about ways that BO can gain back support. Not saying folks want to fire Bo, but after Saturdays debacle, his support seems to have taken a hit.

We have had thread after thread about how we stunk, but what can we do to fix it. I have a few suggestions.

One thing that has always annoyed me is the lack of letting the fans feel wanted and or important. Seems petty, but NU fans, IMO, identify to a degree with our success or failures. Across the country, Big Red supports the Huskers and rides an emotional roller coaster like no other fan base. Ahman Green said that NU reminded him of Green Bay with the fans base and support. He loves /loved it there because of that. I would appreciate Bo saying in a presser this week or next that he hopes the NU faithful will be in mass at NW. Say something that even though they might get low on a Sat loss, the next week they are again filling the stadium to full capacity to cheer on their team. Would love to hear some Big Red fans at NW next week. Means a lot to the team and the staff to see the fan support. Knows we play better at home and there is a reason. The atmosphere, unlike any other in college football.

I am also really hoping to see an obvious scheme change. I know that we can not implement a brand new scheme in 2 weeks, but last year he did a great job against MSU with the stand up D line. A very noticeable tweak. Same with Mizzou in 2009 with the "spinner role". I also hope to see a lot of the young kids get meaningful playing time. Rose, Santos, Peat, Alfalva etc.....We need speed. After UCLA, I thought we would make more "permanent" changes, but I was wrong. Allow the athletes to make plays and yes mistakes. IMO, an athlete making a mistake can recover and turn a negative into a positive. A less athletic person turns that mistake into 6 points.

I would like to see a significantly more aggressive D. Put the CB's on an Island and let loose the dogs of war. Let them eat. Send them every series.

I would like to see permanent captains named. Rex, Martinez, Evans, Compton? Guys who by position and continued presence as permanent captains will feel more "ownership" to get in folks faces and demand more. A weekly leader probably feels less inclined to really be able to "rightfully" get into the faces of guys when he is only a captain for a day. Honorary if you will. Kind of if you are an "acting supervisor" at your current job are you really going to say to co-workers what is needed?

I would also like Bo to go into an offensive "shell" and try to limit Martinez's miscues. Our O is doing well in spite of ourselves. IIRC correctly, we leed the nation in fumbles and are very close in turn overs. We also have 3 walk-ons starting on the OL. Unheard of, but we are racking up points. I would love to see Beck try and not put so much pressure on Martinez to pass to get us out of or into trouble.

For me, this is a crossroads for Bo as many have stated. I hope that he chooses Progress or Pride and Winning over being Right. Even if we lose, IMO it will not be as bad if I see Bo trying something different. Any thing different to try and fix this floundering team.

I will still support Bo even in a loss with no changes, but it will be VERY HARD.

GO BIG RED

First of all, he still has my support. I want to make that clear because I think it is important.

I like the offense and I think it would be a big mistake to reign in any part of it. Is Taylor the perfect fit for running it? No, but in spite of that, he has done a pretty good job back there this year. His interceptions this game were bad and he knows that. Hopefully it doesn't happen again this year. On the flip side, he has had games where his passing has been very good.

Reigning in the offense will potentially scare off future recruits. We need to keep developing that side of the ball and showing those kids what our offense is.

As for the defense, I would like Bo to learn from Taylor Martinez. I would like him to do what McBride did in the early 90s and go learn from someone how to drastically improve his scheme. Something is wrong with that side of the ball right now and he needs to man up and admit that and go find answers. That is what a true leader is. He has grown in many ways as a head coach since he has been here. He needs to have a gut check and fix what needs fixed.

Also, the captain issue is a big issue to me. He needs to designate who his leaders are on this team in August. Those are the guys on the side lines in games like OSU that can be on the field and on the side lines talking to players and getting their minds headed in the right direction. Having leaders ON the field is so important in those situations. The coaches can only do so much.

Honestly, Bo would have to almost literally become a completely different person to regain my support. Sure, winning would help me be a little more willing to look past some things. But at the end of the day, I just flat don't like the way he comes off and represents Nebraska.

If our record was exactly what it is today and Bo just had a little bit of class, I'd be much more supportive of him. But the guy acts like a little bitch constantly and embarrasses Nebraska. From his entitled stance when he wasn't handed Frank's job to the way he treated Bill Snyder to his wife's FUSP gloves...all the way through to the flipping the clipboard at our own crowd to just flat out acting like a dick to every single media member he comes across to his sideline tantrums and everything in between. There really are too many instances to name or try to remember. An isolated instance like that or two and it's a funny side note on who Bo is. But Bo's personality flaws and tantrums and outbursts and the like are so frequent that they have come to define who he is and truly override any positive personality traits he may posses. And, unfortunately, those same flaws are coming to define Nebraska football. I have a problem with that.

The Nebraska I know doesn't act that way. Nebraska people don't act that way. Bo is less "Nebraska" than any head coach I can remember and he's not who I want as a face for one of the things that identifies Nebraska the most. He's not the perception I want the rest of the college football nation to have of Nebraska. The way he acts is not what I want my son/daughter growing up idolizing.

So, he would have to completely change who he is in order to gain back my support and given that he's in his 40's, I don't see that happening. He is who he is and it's not who I want representing our once proud Nebraska program.

When was his last tantrum this season?

• Fire 1

I support Bo, but after the piece that Hail Varsity worked up, it's evident that while Bo is one of the smartest guys that knows defense, he could still stand to get some outside and experienced input.

In hindsight, Pauchipis wasn't exactly a stellar move, and we likely need to bring in a DC with experience to back Bo's play and perhaps give him another outside perspective on things. Too much promotion from within tends to retard an organization's growth, regardless if it's sports, business, or academia, and I think we're seeing the effects of that now.

So what would I like to see? Bo shake up the coaching staff and get an experienced DC, preferably one that is familiar with different schemes so we can get a fresh set of eyes and ideas too look at our reoccurring problems in the offseason.

For this season? Open up the depth chart and burn redshirts for kids that are willing to do so. Don't be afraid to bench seniors if need be--if they're not playing up to snuff, then they don't get the time, simple as that. Perhaps look at experimenting with a 3-4 so we can get more speed on the field--supposedly we have this cupboard full of young, speedy stud LBs, so let's get them on the field. Yeah, we aren't going to have stellar stats with a 3-4, especially against the run. But we should have enough speed to stop all of the teams and at least get back to a 'bend but don't break' type of defense.

Bo is quoted in the Journalstar today saying "Honestly, I don’t listen to what people say. I don’t know what they say. I could really care less what they say."

This line speaks very accurately to flaws that I would like to see Bo improve upon:

1. This is a lie. We all know it is a lie -- see Chatelain, Dirk, press conference last season. see references to "message boards." Bo does hear what "people" are saying. Big deal. How about say, "I know what people are saying. They are frustrated. I am frustrated. The team is frustrated. We are working to improve." But stop the nonsensical blather that you don't hear this stuff. You do. We all know it. It's ok to admit that you see/hear/read it.

2. This is truth. Maybe Bo doesn't listen to anyone. He professes to have really studied what was wrong with stopping mobile qbs all offseason. But I think he still believes his system works to stop mobile QBs. In theory, perhaps it does, but in practice, oi, it doesn't. Perhaps it is time to really listen to some new ideas.

I hope Bo succeeds. In year 5, it remains hard to see improvement in some of Bo's coaching flaws beyond that he hasn't had a spit-spewing meltdown on the sideline (or perhaps the TV cameras have chosen not to highlight it). The offense remains a turnover machine. The defense looks barely more credible than Cosgrove's unit.

Stinkney, I am sure doesn't want to state that his team is frustrated, as it would show weakness, something that Pelini tries to hide. I love how people talk about these "meltdowns". I don't see it as a meltdown, as much as I do a guy who is not afraid to let someone know that they did something wrong, and he has a PASSION for the game. Rather have a passionate coach than a hush puppy.

Your comment about him not knowing what people say, of course we know its a lie, but why admit it, so more people rant and cry? Maybe the lack of support from a lot of people has an issue with his coaching? You never know, but never show weakness as a HC. Take accountability and move on.

For my answer to the OP, he has had my support since day one and still does. When we have a losing season, then I will question my support. People tend to forget, this is his first head coaching job. No coach has won a National Title in their first 5 years of becoming a HC for the first time.

We are getting better where we were weak. People are too blind to see that sometimes. Offense is 1000 times better than it was when Pelini got here, sure there are turnovers, but WE SCORE POINTS, and that is all you can ask for. Defense has gone slightly downhill every year, but your looking at a whole new coaching change from last year to this year, you can't expect things to be peachy. New coaches bring in new talent, which helps us out a TON. The names Coach Kaz and Terry Joseph is enough to prove that statement.

I want him to buy a bigger aquarium.... That said, I want him to succeed in the worst way. However, a little better PR would help him dig himself out of the a@@hole perception most people have about him. Booby Knight could be a a@@hole, but the guy could flat out win. Bo has not proven that he can not flat out win against anyone (aside from Idaho State, you can't tell me we weren't all disappointed about South Dakota). As a fan, that makes me edgy. From what I can tell and hear, Bo appears to be having some health issues. If the guy at the top is not well, the rest of the pyramid can struggle, and it can be a matter of time till it all collapses.

The Nebraska "you know" was gone as of January 3, 1998.

Too much to ask to want it back? Or at least a modern day version of it that doesn't embarrass us?

I don't think so.

Last game. Sideline report came back after halftime I believe. Something to the effect of "I tried to interview Bo Pelini and he was trite offering nothing but one word answers." Sounded like a tantrum to me.

Offensively, it's very easy. Run the damn ball! I am all in favor of having a balanced attack, but when the run is working and the pass is skull fuxking you, STOP f'ing PASSING IT!

This kind of comment continues to mystify me. The passing game has worked very well for us. The running game has worked very well for us. The running and passing game have worked very well together, and our current ratio clearly favors the run. Declaring your intent to run the ball more will only result in a stacked box against you and stop the running game in its tracks.

The running game is also severely compromised when the defense folds and you need 21 points in 15 minutes. It was, however, a solid passing game that helped engineer the biggest comebacks in Husker history the past two seasons.

You can't snap your fingers and make it 1995, with a legendary offensive line in place. And I'll bet that team passed more than some of you remember.

Or are you talking about Taylor Martinez's four interceptions this season?

Cause we have twice as many fumbles.

Does that mean the running game is skull fu**ing us?

Are you secretly getting some kind of magical Huskerboard circle jerk points for making comments like this?

This is a forum. An anonymous forum. For discussing Husker football. On the internet. Husker football is being discussed.

I believe we found the pivot man.

Last game. Sideline report came back after halftime I believe. Something to the effect of "I tried to interview Bo Pelini and he was trite offering nothing but one word answers." Sounded like a tantrum to me.

Everyone halt, an assumption has been made.