Cheering when we caught punts vs. NW

knapplc

It was more than obvious watching on TV that the cheer after the punt catch was mocking the previous 2 drops. Absolutely no question. First thought into my mind was "what a bunch of jerky fans" but that was immediately replaced by the realization that I was jeeringly cheering too. And then I quit holding my breath.

I'm forgetting the exact game but if memory serves it was 2003 vs CU... anyway, when he was under any kind of pressure, Jammal Lord would always run out of bounds, ball firmly in hand. 10-15 yard loss... On one play, he threw the ball away just before stepping over the line and he got a huge cheer from the crowd- on an incomplete pass. I was among those cheering and was surprised when so many others did so as well as it was an automatic reaction.

Listening to the radio afterwards people called in with exactly the same reaction as now. some saying it was unbecoming and wrong. Others saying it was a genuine celebratory cheer.

In both cases, call it sarcasm or whatever you want but personally I was happy with the result of the play vs the alternative we'd been seeing all game (or in the case of 2003, all season).

Honestly I was hoping Bell and Abdullah would see some time on the bench after those shenanigans. Not the whole game, just enough time to let them realize we can't afford to have our star players playing like idiots. There seems to be little to no consequence for sloppy play. Hence all the sloppy play 5 years running.

Honestly I was hoping Bell and Abdullah would see some time on the bench after those shenanigans. Not the whole game, just enough time to let them realize we can't afford to have our star players playing like idiots. There seems to be little to no consequence for sloppy play. Hence all the sloppy play 5 years running.

If fumbles, stupid penalties and your more generic "sloppy play" is the criteria, that's a lot of guys you'll have to bench. Including Rex Burkhead.

The standard coaching response to this is to send them right back out to do the job correctly and show a little faith in them.

If fumbles, stupid penalties and your more generic "sloppy play" is the criteria, that's a lot of guys you'll have to bench. Including Rex Burkhead.

The standard coaching response to this is to send them right back out to do the job correctly and show a little faith in them.

Well I hope that passive approach starts working some day.

Who says they didn't pay for it in conditioning? I think they need to practice in Memorial again so they can run stairs, seems like every time my day officiated practice there were 2 or 3 top players running stairs for all sorts of reasons and some where doing it multiple times.

Those things are not fun. Ran them a couple times at a camp and the stairs actually get bigger the higher up you go.

Who says they didn't pay for it in conditioning? I think they need to practice in Memorial again so they can run stairs, seems like every time my day officiated practice there were 2 or 3 top players running stairs for all sorts of reasons and some where doing it multiple times.

Those things are not fun. Ran them a couple times at a camp and the stairs actually get bigger the higher up you go.

It would be interesting to know what the consequence is for fumbles is on this team. Whatever it is, it's not working.

The bench Bell/Abdullah thing was more spitballing than anything. It might be a useful tactic. I mean, we have plenty of other guys on offense who can get the ball for a series or two. Sitting two of your star players down would show the whole team things like that are no longer tolerated.

Something has to change. Constant mistakes like that are the difference between maybe being a top 5 team, and being a mediocre 35ish team, or whatever we are now. Seriously.

No doubt I agree that turnovers are the major thing holding us back. But those are two of our top offense threats and we need them on the field so you can't really bench them both on offense. I think Ameer probably got benched on special teams because they put Bell in after his second fumble (or something like that, I can't remember too well). I just don't know who you would go to after that because Marlowe just got back from an injury, Turner would be like Niles Paul juking for 2 yards, and Wullenwaber the fastest guy tore his ACL. After all those nobody is going to be a real threat returning punts.

I'm forgetting the exact game but if memory serves it was 2003 vs CU... anyway, when he was under any kind of pressure, Jammal Lord would always run out of bounds, ball firmly in hand. 10-15 yard loss... On one play, he threw the ball away just before stepping over the line and he got a huge cheer from the crowd- on an incomplete pass. I was among those cheering and was surprised when so many others did so as well as it was an automatic reaction.

Listening to the radio afterwards people called in with exactly the same reaction as now. some saying it was unbecoming and wrong. Others saying it was a genuine celebratory cheer.

In both cases, call it sarcasm or whatever you want but personally I was happy with the result of the play vs the alternative we'd been seeing all game (or in the case of 2003, all season).

I remember this. It was more a cheer of..."Finally! He threw it away and saved 8 yards." Didn't see anything wrong with it as I did the same thing from my couch at home.