Braylon Heard--Where did he disapear

I think most of the time people say it's doghouse related there is almost always another reason. I used to believe in the doghouse, but I have really learned over the last couple years that kids get hurt and Bo just doesn't like to talk about who is hurt and why. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. It's great for privacy for the players and gameplanning, but it can paint a picture of not letting kids play which can turn recruits off. When in actuality, Bo is probably protecting the players who are injured and being there for them which recruits would love to see.

I agree with you 100% here. Why dont we see Braylon Heard play as much? Because he is not as good. Simple. dun. There is no doghouse. Never was. Never will be. People just look for reason to degrade the staff with bullsh#t reasons as to why the 3rd/4th guys on the depth chart isnt starting as a freshman simply because he rushed for 30,000 yards in high school, had 300 tackles and 68 touchdowns, all in one year.

Adding to your gameplanning part. Yes, why should Bo come out and say "Braylon's hurt. He aint playin Saturday." There you go Mich St, two backs down. All you have to do is focus your defense on the things that Ameer brings to the table. Or "Taylors ankle is sore. We're removing our qb run game from the plan this week" There is no rule that coaches have to report on injuries, so Bo's "he's fine" bla bla bla is good enough for me.

• Fire 3

I think most of the time people say it's doghouse related there is almost always another reason. I used to believe in the doghouse, but I have really learned over the last couple years that kids get hurt and Bo just doesn't like to talk about who is hurt and why. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. It's great for privacy for the players and gameplanning, but it can paint a picture of not letting kids play which can turn recruits off. When in actuality, Bo is probably protecting the players who are injured and being there for them which recruits would love to see.

Once again, every program holds injuries close to the vest and it doesn't affect recruiting in othe major programs. I guess we are cursed that if we do the same thing, we lose recruits. C'mon

I don't remember him getting injured last year. He had 1400 yards and was an All B1G RB. As for this year, he got hurt on his 3rd carry of the 1st game of the season so I am not sure where the "rotation" would come into play. He reinjured it against Ohio St and Northwesern and Abdullah has stepped up in a big way and Cross and Heard have contributed nicely. I have faith in the coaches ability to recognize the need to put in a player when it is their time. Cross is only a freshman and Heard was injured this last game. By the end of the year, it will all work out.

While I don't really want to delve into whether overplaying a player can lead to injury in the future--

I would love to see Bo rotate the RB's more. I don't know who is the one who determines who plays and how much-- whether it be Bo, Beck, or a trust earned from Ron Brown type of deal-- but we never really have rotated our backs well, going back to last season. A lot on this board were curious why AA or Aaron Green weren't getting as many touches. Now, I could see trusting your Jr. All-Conf RB more than a true frosh when you really need it, but why doesn't Heard get more carries? He's a true sophomore now, so it's not like he's a wide-eyed young doe who doesn't know what he's doing out there. And Cross, physically, is a monster. I don't know if he's mentally got as good of a grasp on things as say Rex or AA (I'd highly doubt it), but if you put the rock in his hands in short yardage, one would think he have a good shot to convert and get the yards you need. He hasn't shown any fumbling problems either. That was AA's vice last year.

Logically, getting Braylon or Cross more carries would just keep AA a lot fresher and lower his risk of injury. Perhaps it is a rhythm thing, but that seems unfair, since if AA starts every game and shoulders the majority of the load, how are Cross or Heard supposed to find their rhythm?

Also would like to see us get the backup QB when we know a game's fate is decided. Martinez is obviously a tough sumbitch, but what IF he does have to come out for any extended period of time? We don't want to pull a Michigan... :lol:

As the other's said Rex was never really hurt last year, he was just beat up from carrying the team on his back. And there weren't to many viable guys to rotate with. I think Braylon had a staff infection, and Green wasn't dependable for whatever reason. Ameer was probably the most reliable backup last year but he had a lot of fumbling issues that seem to have been taken care of this year, minuse punt returns.

And Rex's injury this year was just one of those freak football injuries, that can happen to anyone.

I figured injury was the reason we didn't see Heard at all on Saturday, so I'm glad to see that's the reason he didn't play. When he's healthy, Heard is just as dynamic a runner as AA, the only difference being that AA is able to fight through tackles a bit better.

I can't remember which game it was, but Damon Benning really gave Heard props. Something to the tune of Heard can do the most with tight holes b/c he's so explosive. I don't know about you, but when a Husker RB from our 90s squads says something like that, it really makes me want to see a whole lot more of Heard.

What I think we shouldve done early in the year was use Abdullah primarily in the spread sets and Cross in the power sets, so we can develop some tendencies that we could use against teams later in the year. It wouldve been a good opportunity with Rex down to do so. And this slamming Abdullah between the tackles is getting tough for me to watch, esp on the goal line.