Matt McGloin doesn't know Husker Fans very well

knapplc

I think both the 'Memorial Stadium is loud' and 'Memorial Stadium isn't loud' arguments are valid. Memorial can be either/or at any given time. I think I've resigned myself that that will always be the case. As long as it's loud when the team needs it to be loud is all that I can really hope for/expect. The Texas 4th quarter snow game had a horrible ending, but it is definitely the loudest I've ever heard, and the team needed it that way. Is it going to be loud when NU is up 49-0? No. But I'll be extremely pissed if NU is down 3 TD's or less and the crowd is disinterested and quiet. Especially when the Cardiac Kids have proven they can stop shooting themselves in the foot long enough to stage a big comeback. The crowd noise definitely helps pick these guys up.

It's hard to make any sort of objective statement about it unless you have someone measuring from the field with a decibel meter every game, and then do the same thing, with proper controls, at other stadiums. Any fan perspective is going to be, at least to an extent, distorted by where they're sitting, who's sitting in their section and various biased perceptions.

My personal view, having been to about 15 home games in the past several years, is pretty much in line with Lyons. The crowd has its moments, but almost never maintains a decent level of defensive noise throughout a good portion of a game. The times they tend to be the loudest are:

1. The first couple defensive plays of the game
  2. After a terrible call or perceived terrible call by the officials
  3. When trailing in the second half and things are starting to seem like "now or never"
  4. When the defensive players are telling them to be

A couple things have always bothered me. Most of the crowd doesn't start to cheer on third downs until the loudspeaker tells them to. For being the smartest fans in football, you wouldn't think we'd need the PA announcer to tell us when to stand up and shout. Also, we wait until the offense is lining up to start the noise. Why not give them the noise when they're huddling up too?

I guarantee there will be multiple third downs and of course many first and second downs against PSU where 80%+ of the non-student section fans are seated and making little to no noise. I'm not asking people to scream their lungs out on every defensive play, but if we could at least clap or make a little noise on the vast majority of them, that would be fine by me.

Again, I can't give any sort of truly objective measure, but I would expect us to be ranked in the 18-20 range of the perennial top 25-type college football programs should such a study be conducted.

• Fire 1

It's hard to make any sort of objective statement about it unless you have someone measuring from the field with a decibel meter every game, and then do the same thing, with proper controls, at other stadiums. Any fan perspective is going to be, at least to an extent, distorted by where they're sitting, who's sitting in their section and various biased perceptions.

I guess I should say that when I talk about noise level it is in comparison to all other experiences at Memorial stadium where I have been in the same spot just off field level. I have attended every game at home the last 4 years and this year has to be one of the least impressive years as a whole. I would say the only game that gets above average grade this year over the last 4 years would be the Wisconsin game. That isn't saying much imo.

Yeah, I think anyone trying to measure from their own perspective isn't ever going to have a full picture on how loud the stadium is. We've had conversations about it this year about how loud the stadium sounded on TV v. radio v. being there in person. It's just tough to tell. I agree with the situation noise statements quite a bit, but to just make a blanket statement and say 'it's not loud' doesn't tell the whole story either. Been going to games at least since the late 70s (first time I can remember Dad taking me - he was in pharmacy school at UNMC at the time, and I can remember going with him to a game - I was thinking it was Oklahoma, but I can't be sure), and the stadium has pretty much ALWAYS been that way. Sitting in the student sections over the years, I can remember some really LOUD games, and some that weren't quite so much. But through it all, when the team needed it, and when the game warranted it, it always seems like the crowd delivers, in my opinion. And I have seen, at various times, the noise level make a difference, regarding needing a timeout, regarding it taking more time to get the play called, and regarding false starts. Again, situational, but I've heard it VERY loud at times. Night games, for whatever reason (some would say the bluehairs would stay home, that may play a factor, but who knows) seem to me to have always carried the loudest levels. Seems to always carry that type of environment to it.

Anyway, my perception. Take it FWIW. That and 50 cents a dollar, two bucks, five bucks (depending on where you get it) could get you a coffee/espresso/latte/mocha/coffeedrinkofchoice. :D

Maybe the reason I think the crowd is always loud is I spend all my time being loud, not sitting back listening to the crowd. Maybe if everyone did that, we'd have a louder crowd.

I'll admit I'm not nearly as loud as I could be. I'll whoop and hollar here and there, but as far as constant noise-making, I just cant do it. I can't afford to lose my voice regardless. I love it when it's loud however. I go to games for the atmosphere. I'm always afraid of missing that next "big moment". I love it when the folks around me are loud and rowdy. I try to make as much noise as I can without losing my voice, but it's not much of a contribution.

@CoryGiger

#PSU QB McGloin said it's fun going on road and winning big. Goal Saturday is to "try to eliminate that crowd as quickly as possible."

Son... that's not something you want to tell Husker fans. We don't get quiet at our house. We get louder as the game goes on.

I hope they're up by 14 late in the second half now so we can really, really get loud. It'll make the comeback that much sweeter.

This holds true 99% of the time, I went to the Kansas game when Turner Gil was coaching. You could hear a mouse fart in the second half.

• Fire 1

@CoryGiger

#PSU QB McGloin said it's fun going on road and winning big. Goal Saturday is to "try to eliminate that crowd as quickly as possible."

Son... that's not something you want to tell Husker fans. We don't get quiet at our house. We get louder as the game goes on.

I hope they're up by 14 late in the second half now so we can really, really get loud. It'll make the comeback that much sweeter.

This holds true 99% of the time, I went to the Kansas game when Turner Gil was coaching. You could hear a mouse fart in the second half.

That was one of the most boring games, if not theee most, in the history of Memorial Stadium. Was there. Cold. Night. A game going in that everyone knew we would win easily. We played in our sleep for 90% of the game and still won a lot easier than the 17-3 score would suggest. So yes, I agree with your "99%" of the time assessment.