Nebraska fans: Thoughts on year 2 in the B1G

I dont remember the Big 12 having this many game-changing bad calls. That's the thing this year. These arent just a missed holding call with 6 minutes left in the 2nd qtr. What we're seeing are bad calls that are changing momentum and the entire course and strategy of game, at any time during the game. How many times did momentum swing, resulting in a change in strategy and approach during the Michigan St game becuase of a questionable call? And it was against both sides too.

Our experience in 2010 when there was an obvious agenda (I know, I'm a nutcase, but the writing was on the wall) overshadows the fact that Big 12 officiating, to me anyway, wasnt nearly as determining as it is in this Big 10.

And as far as game changing -- 0:01.

Even as a husker fan, it is clear that there was still time on the clock when the ball landed out of bounds.

:ban

The B1G is always going to be behind the south in terms of baseball, simply as a by-product of their location.

Really, NU needs to shift their focus from baseball to basketball. Once you guys can field a decent bball team (and I think you've made the right step with Miles), the move over to the B1G will be even better.

I agree.

+1 for you.

I still fully support the move to the Big Ten. The Big 12 sucks because the University of Texas controls the entire conference, regardless of its football team's record in any given year. And the Big 8 is long dead and will never return.

My only criticism of the Big Ten is the "B1G" logo. It sucks. I really hope they change that eventually.

What's great is that with the Big 10, it appears that we'll get out of it what we put into it; to note:

DoNU has put a stronger emphasis on academics since we joined the Big 10 community, and it's paid dividends. Plus, the CIC is there to help out, which is an invaluable tool that we didn't have before in the Big XII.

In basketball, if we put forth an effort, as we are, we're going to get interest, talent, and a good team--plus, if we have a good team in the Big 10, which is the pinnacle basketball conference in the land, we know we're going to have a real contender for the first time since the 1940s and 1950s.

In dealing with the fanbases, our positive attitude and sportsmanship to visitors at Memorial Stadium has rubbed off and paid dividends. For the most part, we're seeing the best that tOSU, Michigan, and the fans of other schools have to offer when we return the trip, with some schools making a concerted effort/drive to reciprocate the good will fostered in Lincoln.

With the BTN, DoNU is already putting a stronger effort towards marketing, which will help everything--academics, athletics, fundraising...you name it. And frankly, the Nebraska commercial is perhaps the best one to come out of Lincoln in the past 30 years...being part of the B1G forced us to step up our game in this regard.

---

I guess what I'm getting at is that now, Nebraska is getting back what money, time, and effort we put into the conference and getting rewarded for doing the right things. That wasn't, doesn't, and isn't happening in the Big XII, unless your school resides in Austin and has a pointy female reproductive system for a logo.

That's why the move to the Big 10 works so well and why we're better for it--we're actually a member of a true conference, and not a loose confederation of schools ultimately out for themselves, and no one else. This, if nothing else, embodies what Nebraska is about--everyone pitching in, rolling up their sleeves, and reaping the benefits of hard work put into the collective whole.

I love the conference.

The only thing I hate about it so far is personally for me. I live in Oklahoma City, so I was able to travel to a lot of the away games. Also OKC hosts the Big12 baseball championships every year. So now that is out of the window for me to. When I moved to OKC, I was happier then a slinky on an escalator, but 5 yrs later, it all fell away.

Do you go to the Cornhuseker Club in OKC? I attend the Tulsa club.

Really, NU needs to shift their focus from baseball to basketball. Once you guys can field a decent bball team (and I think you've made the right step with Miles), the move over to the B1G will be even better.

This is a crime just saying this, I will be shocked if your not banned from just posting this.

Baseball in Nebraska is a tie for second. Omaha has the college world series every year and it is sold out for every game (I believe, been awhile since I been there, but my cousin goes every year and gives me the high lights). That series is what hockey is to Michigan. NU just needs to get their team back up to the ranks.

Basketball is our worst sport and barely gets the support. It will be awhile before it does. We are hoping that the new arena helps out, but I doubt it will.

Football, Baseball and womans volleyball are our top 3 sports and don't see them moving anytime soon.

Well, I'm not saying abandon the baseball program or anything. Despite what you hear from fans in the B1G for UM it is: 1. football 2. basketball and then hockey at 3. Basketball will generate more revenue than baseball and will garner more national interest. Obviously I understand the legacy of baseball in Nebraska but shifting focus slightly from baseball to basketball should be a part of making the move to the B1G.

We are making an effort to get our basketball program up to Big 10 standards. I think building a new arena and top notch facilities shows that we are doing everything we can for that program.

It doesnt mean we have to shift our focus from baseball in order to get basketball program moving in the right direction. We have a good coach in Erstad and top notch baseball facilities also. We can keep our focus the same on baseball at the same time as trying to get basketball better.

+1. Our baseball team turned the corner when it got new facilities. I expect the same for the basketball program and their is no reason for them to be mutually exclusive!

B1G could be a lot better in baseball if they just tried. As far as hockey, my preference is to let UNO capitalize on it. I don't expect Nebraska to get a hockey program and actually wonder if we could get UNO to be a b1g hockey team.

That would be neat. Being a state school I have no problem having them be the rep.

I didn't touch on the volleyball and wrestling programs. They are also good in the B1G. It's a good league in general.

Good topic. It seemed so exciting when Neb joined the B1G and even better when the 2011 and 2012 schedules were released. Then things went south quickly.

> Division names fiasco

> OSU-Tressel ordeal

> PSU Scandal

> Iowa's continued fall into the abyss

> Pathetic 2012 year on the field including now signature ooc wins

I was wondering if Neb fans were regretting joining the conference.

On a separate note, several mentioned the B8 days. What was the appeal of the B8 besides an annual game with OU? It seemed the B8 had some pretty bad teams save OU and a couple runs by Colorado. Is it because Nebraska pretty muched owned that conference?

it was home. it was what we grew up watching (or listening to)

Good topic. It seemed so exciting when Neb joined the B1G and even better when the 2011 and 2012 schedules were released. Then things went south quickly.

> Division names fiasco

> OSU-Tressel ordeal

> PSU Scandal

On a separate note, several mentioned the B8 days. What was the appeal of the B8 besides an annual game with OU? It seemed the B8 had some pretty bad teams save OU and a couple runs by Colorado. Is it because Nebraska pretty muched owned that conference?

it was home. it was what we grew up watching (or listening to)

Plus, you could easily travel to any of the away games. There were alot of personalities and characters back in the B8 days. Today it is so commercial and vicous, then it was about tradition and good natured fun.

This is the only conference where people complain about officiating. Everyone else has it so much better with way better officiating that nobody ever complains about, when a flag flies, fans from both teams look at one another, nod, and say, "Yes, that was a fair call." Every instance of holding is called every play, and questionable calls are always reversed. Even opposing teams are happy when favorable but incorrect calls are reversed because they all know that their officiating is perfect. Oh to be in any other conference!

Hell, how can we not love it in the B1G. It seems like the more natural fit for our program as a whole. Plus, we are 9-2 this year, 6-1 in the Conference so far. We are leading our division and looking very likely to be playing for a Conference Championship in only our second year as a member. Not only that, but with the removal of Ohio State and Wisconsin from our schedule next year, adding Illinois and Purdue, things look like they could only get better for us in the future.

BTN is a really great thing too.

> Division names fiasco

> OSU-Tressel ordeal

> PSU Scandal

Absolutely don't regret it. The things you mentioned are short-term things. As leaders Harvey and Tom had to think long term. When they heard that Texas was shopping around with a bunch of teams in tow they realized they had to be a little more proactive and find a home in a good stable league where we had a good cultural fit. The Big10 fit that bill and was the only fit really. Nebraska didn't want to be left out in the cold by not being proactive. In addition the b12 league was becoming very south-centric and Texas was obviously running the show. Nebraska loved BTN and the academic benefits of joining the big 10. The benefits of that made a big difference in the decision. The academic side was a huge plus to Harvey.

As far as the b8. Lots of us grew up with that league. NUvsOU was one of the top games in the country for years and years. Pretty much identical to the b10 in those years as to how the conference shook out.

Personally, I believe leagues should be formed around a geographical center or share borders in some way. The West Virginia team in the b12 is stupid IMO. I don't know much about Rutgers or Maryland but would rather add a ND, KU, MU, ISU, KSU team just because I am more familiar with them and they are CST, while the eastern options are not.....