In loss, Penn State earns Nebraska's respect

knapplc

From every photo and video I've seen, to me, that clearly looked like a touchdown. Remove your bias. That's two weeks in a row that I have seen the other team get screwed by the refs in the late game...but it happens. We've been on the other side of this coin before. It's part of the game.

Also, I agree that this would have no where near sealed the game. The PI last weekend on the other hand...

That PI call last week made up for their TD off that B.S. Stafford push and a couple questionable PI calls against us.

I doubt many Husker fans feel too bad considering the 2009 and 2010 season in the big 12. Also, the fumble recovery resulted in a touchback. Touchdown or not, one could argue the rest of the game would have played out the same. 32-30 NU.

I get the humor in this tshirt, but I'd hope Husker fans don't fall for this cheap marketing ploy. That call in 1982 cost us a shot at a national championship. This call cost Penn State... nothing. This isn't even remotely in the same ballpark.

I was two when that game occured.....................don't remember that call? :lol:

I get the humor in this tshirt, but I'd hope Husker fans don't fall for this cheap marketing ploy. That call in 1982 cost us a shot at a national championship. This call cost Penn State... nothing. This isn't even remotely in the same ballpark.

I was two when that game occured.....................don't remember that call? :lol:

Same here, but I understand the importance of that game, as we had a great shot at the national championship that year. I recall a former offensive lineman saying that he'd put the '82 team up against the '83 team any day of the week because he was that confident. Too bad we never got to find out if they would have sealed the deal. Can you imagine the load off TO's shoulders if it would have happened then instead of having to wait another 12 years?

I agree with Knapp, this doesn't make up for that game then.

TAMU was Dan Beebe's escape goat. Probably a big reason why they are no longer part of the Big 12. Because of the officiating, it made TAMU look like the crooks, when we all know it was not in their hands, or the coaches hands. I never had a bad taste in my mouth about TAMU from that game, I just had a bad taste in my mouth, because of the people who run the show. Anyway, back to 2012 lol

chuckleshuffle

TAMU was Dan Beebe's escape goat. Probably a big reason why they are no longer part of the Big 12. Because of the officiating, it made TAMU look like the crooks, when we all know it was not in their hands, or the coaches hands. I never had a bad taste in my mouth about TAMU from that game, I just had a bad taste in my mouth, because of the people who run the show. Anyway, back to 2012 lol

I once used an "escape goat" to bust out a friend from prison.

I once used an "escape goat" to bust out a friend from prison.

Needless to say you ended up in prison with him.

Same here, but I understand the importance of that game, as we had a great shot at the national championship that year. I recall a former offensive lineman saying that he'd put the '82 team up against the '83 team any day of the week because he was that confident. Too bad we never got to find out if they would have sealed the deal. Can you imagine the load off TO's shoulders if it would have happened then instead of having to wait another 12 years?

I agree with Knapp, this doesn't make up for that game then.

I don't think the T-shirt is entirely accurate. I was told the PSU field has an notch on the other side of the field where a pass that we caught inbounds was ruled out of bounds. Apparently a similar picture of PSU's field was published as a cartoon back in the day. And no it doesn't make up for losing out on a NC!

Combine that .gif with the first pic in the OWH gallery I linked to earlier, and you can clearly see the ball was in his possession the instant he crossed the goal line. In the .gif, when the frame freezes, he has not yet been hit by Santos. In the still image on OWH, before he's hit by Santos you can clearly see he breaks the plane with the ball in one hand.

Those are still-frame shots, but I have to say that if the B1G doesn't have replay abilities that can show this stuff with this clarity in real time, then they should shelve their whole replay system and not use it.

Still-frames. Still images. GIFs. Are you kidding me? The fact that this is still so close with all the damn modern technology is funny. You have that technology back in 1982 and the replay guys are laughing their asses off at the refs at their call and the fact they have to review it.

Strange how 30 years can create a completely different sports universe.

bangbang.gif

It's funny, all along I've thought it was a touchdown. This has actually put a shred of doubt in my mind. Right before the frame freezes, you see some movement of the ball. It looks to me like right before the nose reaches the plane, Santos hits it with his hand and the ball's course is altered slightly. I had never seen it until watching this view. I still think it probably should have been a touchdown, but thought it was funny that this clip that would prove it once and for all is actually what has caused me to doubt it a little bit.

bangbang.gif

I have talked too a couple refs i know from the community college i went too and the ones i talked too who saw the play considered the play called as accurate. their reasoning was that as he stretched the ball out too the goal line, that at that point the ball was in motion, and from the time he extended his hands too when it clearly came out was continuous. thus in their eyes when the ball crossed the Goaline it was in the process of being fumbled and thus no TD.

Two of them said they could see how the play was called and upheld, especially since the kids hands were blurry on the screen, which they said either indicates his hands or the ball was moving, which again makes possession and the TD questionable.

But they also said on a such a quick play like that one that their was no real easy call, and that the safest bet was too stick with the call on the field as it poses the least harm too both teams.

Either way i think we will be talking about this for years too come. And also these refs i talked too are Juco refs so their perspective is just something too think about and not take too seriously.

But i did find it interesting.