Let the coaching carousel begin (2012 Edition)

I dont see any of our assistants leaving quite yet for HC positions, but some of our position coaches for position jobs or even coordinator postitions could be a possibility. Our coordinators still have something to prove before they start reeling in HC offers.

one of the positives of Bo hiring these guys that had little or no Coordinator experience. Maybe they reward him by staying an extra year or two. Instead of taking HC jobs at smaller schools. If we have a lot of success with this group of coaches I hope the AD rewards them financially. A stable staff is very underrated especially in recruiting.

Of our asisstant coaches, who is the most likely head coach possibility? Barney Cotton at a high school perhaps. It seems that Ron Brown is the only real 'journeyman' coach besides Cotton. But he hasn't shown a desire towards being a HC. I think Beck will be the first but his offense is still developing - I think he would want to work next year wt TM as the year sets up for a national championship run. He also has some great QB recruits - so he may want to stay longer and see if he can build an offense that is really special. I think offensively we have that potential - to be really great over the next 3-4 years. At this point, I think the D side of the ball, our assistant coaches don't have enough experience yet to be a HC. Joseph is doing a good job wt the DBs. Fisher has been a pleasant surprise wt the receivers. It is nice seeing receivers who actually block downfield once again in support of the run or the pass. My wish is that the new AD will reward coaches for loyalty and persuade them to stay long term. This is what created the Osborn steamroller in the 90s - on the field consistency begins wt coaching consistency.

IMHO it seems that Beck and JP have the type of personalities that lend towards leading programs rather than be lifers as coordinators. And that's fine. I see structure in what Bo is building on the field. I hope he has plans in place to provide stability once his staff starts getting offers and leave.

I hate that it's this way but money is a huge factor. If JP or Beck has a chance to secure financial independence for their families foreseeable future, then you take HC jobs. Even if its schools like Fla Atlantic. Who knows what their goals are as far as coaching but the money talks. Especially to wifey!

It doesn't talk to Les Miles apparently

I dont see any of our assistants leaving quite yet for HC positions, but some of our position coaches for position jobs or even coordinator postitions could be a possibility. Our coordinators still have something to prove before they start reeling in HC offers.

one of the positives of Bo hiring these guys that had little or no Coordinator experience. Maybe they reward him by staying an extra year or two. Instead of taking HC jobs at smaller schools. If we have a lot of success with this group of coaches I hope the AD rewards them financially. A stable staff is very underrated especially in recruiting.

Of our asisstant coaches, who is the most likely head coach possibility? Barney Cotton at a high school perhaps. It seems that Ron Brown is the only real 'journeyman' coach besides Cotton. But he hasn't shown a desire towards being a HC. I think Beck will be the first but his offense is still developing - I think he would want to work next year wt TM as the year sets up for a national championship run. He also has some great QB recruits - so he may want to stay longer and see if he can build an offense that is really special. I think offensively we have that potential - to be really great over the next 3-4 years. At this point, I think the D side of the ball, our assistant coaches don't have enough experience yet to be a HC. Joseph is doing a good job wt the DBs. Fisher has been a pleasant surprise wt the receivers. It is nice seeing receivers who actually block downfield once again in support of the run or the pass. My wish is that the new AD will reward coaches for loyalty and persuade them to stay long term. This is what created the Osborn steamroller in the 90s - on the field consistency begins wt coaching consistency.

IMHO it seems that Beck and JP have the type of personalities that lend towards leading programs rather than be lifers as coordinators. And that's fine. I see structure in what Bo is building on the field. I hope he has plans in place to provide stability once his staff starts getting offers and leave.

I hate that it's this way but money is a huge factor. If JP or Beck has a chance to secure financial independence for their families foreseeable future, then you take HC jobs. Even if its schools like Fla Atlantic. Who knows what their goals are as far as coaching but the money talks. Especially to wifey!

It doesn't talk to Les Miles apparently

Les Miles' agent begs to differ after the raise and extension he just got his client!
You can probably add Tennessee to the list.
No way. I don't think Bo could pull of that nasty ass orange look.

One of the more interesting rumors I've seen is Tennessee is trying to entice Jon Gruden and part ownership of the Cleveland Browns is on the table. The owner of the Browns is supposed to be a big Tennessee booster and is willing to give a percentage to Gruden if he coaches. It is being investigated whether this would be legal.

Tubby to Cincy? Hmm...seems like a downgrade but maybe he figures he can have an easier road in their conference. Texas Tech is not likely to jump the big boys in the Big 12...although they are pretty good at knocking them off once in awhile.

I hope Petersen stays put for now. Would be a killer if Wisky got him. Petersen is going to go eventually. He needs to join the big leagues as we move into super conferences. Nebraska is a great fit for him and he would consistently challenge for the Big 10 championship. If we get blown out in our bowl game the heat on Pelini & Co. is just going to intensify. He will be our coach next year but he has to win Big 10 next year and avoid the types of defensive meltdowns he is becoming famous for.

If Pelini wins big next year and has a defense that we can all be proud of, I will gladly eat crow. If not, welcome Chris Petersen. The ball is in Bo's court. Get R Done. (If the reports are true about his eyeing other jobs, I don't think he is off to a good start).