Legitimate Expectations for 2012/2013

knapplc

So, what should my legitimate expectations be for Men's Hoops this year? I don't expect much success at all in Big Ten play. It looks like we're in what is very likely to be the toughest conference in the country this year, and top-to-bottom, we have tough competition to play.

Our non-con schedule doesn't appear terribly strong, but really, does that matter? We've lost the bulk of our scoring from last year's team, and the guys we have left are just not big threats.

With a new coaching staff, a tough conference, and large turnover in the locker room from last year, is there any reason to expect anything from the first Miles team?

And if that's the case, with nothing to lose, should we just go to the Bob and raise hell just for the fun of it, all season long? :D

We have the chance for a 17 win season if Miles gets these guys prepared. Who knows, we could get some upsets against teams like USC or the "big dogs" in our conference. Preseason should be pretty easy, 3 losses (USC, Creighton & Oregon). I think its a little to early to tell exactly where we are at, until we face a good opponent like USC.

Big Ten regular season title, opponents commit ritual suicide after stunning losses in conference tournament, face and beat Creighton in the NCAA playoffs causing the Blue Jays to disband the team and discontinue the program, easily win national title, NIT renamed "Nebraska Immitators Tournament", team given Nobel Peace Prizes and each member has a county in the pan-handle named after him. Disney buys movie rights to the story and allows George Lucas and Tyler Perry to joint direct, blockbuster hit of the summer... /season.

• Fire 2

Big Ten regular season title, opponents commit ritual suicide after stunning losses in conference tournament, face and beat Creighton in the NCAA playoffs causing the Blue Jays to disband the team and discontinue the program, easily win national title, NIT renamed "Nebraska Immitators Tournament", team given Nobel Peace Prizes and each member has a county in the pan-handle named after him. Disney buys movie rights to the story and allows George Lucas and Tyler Perry to joint direct, blockbuster hit of the summer... /season.

+1 I lol at that one

We have the chance for a 17 win season if Miles gets these guys prepared. Who knows, we could get some upsets against teams like USC or the "big dogs" in our conference. Preseason should be pretty easy, 3 losses (USC, Creighton & Oregon). I think its a little to early to tell exactly where we are at, until we face a good opponent like USC.

17 is in no way realistic. USC shouldn't be too big of an upset, they only need 4 more wins to match their total from last year. But even if we dropped just 3 in the non conference (I expect at least 4, shocked they won tonight with 50 points), that would still mean going 9-9 in conference play. This team lost what little talent they had since last year, no way do they get that many wins.

I say losses to Kent State, Creighton, Oregon, Wake Forest, and possibly an embarrassing loss sneaking in there, and then a 3-15 conference record. So I'm pegging them for around 11 wins.

This team's success can't be based on wins. In years past, there was one noticable flaw with Doc's teams. I know people say it was talent - but I slightly disagree. Doc brought in some guys that could play basketball - not blue chippers, but could have become BCS Conference level players. The problem was, no one ever developed. Doc didn't leave the cupboards bare, he left a couple smashed granola bars. If Miles can take those smashed granola bars and turn them into oatmeal and bananas by the end of the year, it was a success. I think we're already seeing a little bit of this in Ubel, Gallegos, Talley and Rivers. What you hope is that by the end of the year you have a team still playing for their coach even tho it was a devastating year, and you have players coming back next year that you say: 'ok, with them and the new guys, next year has some promise.'

This team's success can't be based on wins. In years past, there was one noticable flaw with Doc's teams. I know people say it was talent - but I slightly disagree. Doc brought in some guys that could play basketball - not blue chippers, but could have become BCS Conference level players. The problem was, no one ever developed. Doc didn't leave the cupboards bare, he left a couple smashed granola bars. If Miles can take those smashed granola bars and turn them into oatmeal and bananas by the end of the year, it was a success. I think we're already seeing a little bit of this in Ubel, Gallegos, Talley and Rivers. What you hope is that by the end of the year you have a team still playing for their coach even tho it was a devastating year, and you have players coming back next year that you say: 'ok, with them and the new guys, next year has some promise.'

I like this take. +1.

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

Well guys, 15-18 overall 5-13 in conference play for a 10th place finish. Surpassed my expectations.

We have to get a lot better before the record reflects anything

:yeah

Unfortunately, I think another 2-3 wins won't be too hard to come by. But after that, it gets a lot tougher.