Maryland, Rutgers to the Big 10

This was my fear after SEC snatched Mizzou and A&M. Now that Mizzou is off the board, besides ND, there isn't a decent Midwestern football program with a TV market to be had. I don't think an immediate money grab with Rutgers/Maryland is worth the risk of potential long term impact to the B1G's football quality, which could then have long term negative financial impacts.

I'd much rather see Virginia (which has the stellar academic reputation that the B1G supposedly loves) than either of Rutgers/Maryland. Since the B1G seems to think they HAVE to expand to keep pace with the SEC, I'd rather they break this "connected states" philosophy and go get a college football big fish like Oklahoma (I think OK is a Midwestern-values-like state moreso than NJ/MD). Although still a long shot, I think a move like that could potentially get ND's attention.

I always thought that if the B1G was going to expand that they might target stronger basketball schools. Louisville, Kansas, K-State, UConn. There is not much left for football. The ACC has poached the Big East so much that it is basically the Big East. Sports Illustrated had a good article on this topic this morning. The founder of Under Armor just sold a bunch of stock rumored to be in the vicinity of the same price as the ACC buyout. Also, Rutgers games get shown on the YES network which is owned in part by NewsCorp which has a stake in the BTN.

If this comes to truth, all I ask is that the divisions get aligned in a way that gets us versus Wisconsin every year. Maybe move MSU to the Leaders and keep Michigan in the Legends along with Illinois. That would be good with me.

I say bring on any team that is looking to move if they are Ina big TV market. It will only help recruiting.

Legends:

Illinois

Iowa

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Leaders:

Indiana

Maryland

Michigan State

Purdue

Penn State

Ohio State

Rutgers

I like this, but I might be the only one

• Fire 2

The ACC now has a $50,000,000 buyout. I doubt anyone is leaving at this point.

Also, Pony Power.

i read an article on that. Maryland believes the ACC broke bylaws by allowing Notre Dame in every sport but football. Bylaws state members must be full pledged in all sports so a potential buyout won't hold up in court.

Do you have this article handy?

If this comes to fruition, it will be interesting to see how Nebraska gets treated. If I recall correctly, we don’t get “full” compensation from the conference for a number of years. Will our second-class status be lifted to full member for purposes of the entry of two new members? And will they have to take incremental financial steps to full membership as well?

Also, on the competitive side, we were front-loaded with an extremely difficult schedule (to ensure, I believe) that no “outsider” was going to walk in and immediately take over the league. With the less-than-stellar athletic pedigrees of the new members, will Delaney and company have them walk the same plank? And if not, how will it be justified for future schedules?

Although, this probably sounds like whining, I don’t mean it that way. I’m just wondering how these issues will be addressed with any sort of comparative sense.

And, of course, how does the divisional realignment play out. This offers a perfect chance to jettison the Legends and Leaders monikers and go to an easier brand to identify with East and West divisions. Put Whisky in the west for a natural rivalry.

If Maryland is a done deal, then most likely Rutgers is too. I don't see them adding one team, without another and ruining a CCG. Unless, they are in the discussion of someone else as well. It would be nonsense to add an odd amount of teams.

As I have said to people at work, Basketball wise, its a great move, but thats it. Traveling would be horrid for places like Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota. Its honestly a bummer, and football wise, I don't have any excitement to hear about us possibly playing Rutgers or Maryland, even if its an easier win.