Our Backups need more play time

Branno

kelloggs passes where right on the money except maybe one. two of them hit the receivers in the numbers or hands

I'm with you. I thought the dudes throws were money.

He has a good arm...a lot of potential there. We just haven't had enough blowouts this year to get them time.

bs. there were at least 4 other games besides Idaho St. that a backup qb could've played. Bo doesn't take out Martinez so our backup hardly gets a chance to play.

kelloggs passes where right on the money except maybe one. two of them hit the receivers in the numbers or hands

He has a good arm...a lot of potential there. We just haven't had enough blowouts this year to get them time.

bs. there were at least 4 other games besides Idaho St. that a backup qb could've played. Bo doesn't take out Martinez so our backup hardly gets a chance to play.

I agree that Bo did leave TMart in for too long a few times this season during our soft OOC schedule. Esp the Idaho State game, he shoudln't have played past the 1st qtr and bringing him back in the game in the 2nd qtr after already taking him out was not a smart move IMO.

But on the other hand, you may want to look at the scores of the games before you make a statement like that. I'll give you the S.Miss and Arky State games as stated above, but other than the Idaho State game that you already mentioned, all the other games were close during conference play. I guess you could have put some in Columbus during that embarrassment, but what kind of point is that showing the team? That you gave up? I'm not sold on putting backups in while you are getting your butts kicked, if that is happening, then the starters obviously need some work. Maybe the last 5 min's or so, but nothing more.

I agree that Bo did leave TMart in for too long a few times this season during our soft OOC schedule. Esp the Idaho State game, he shoudln't have played past the 1st qtr and bringing him back in the game in the 2nd qtr after already taking him out was not a smart move IMO.

But on the other hand, you may want to look at the scores of the games before you make a statement like that. I'll give you the S.Miss and Arky State games as stated above, but other than the Idaho State game that you already mentioned, all the other games were close during conference play. I guess you could have put some in Columbus during that embarrassment, but what kind of point is that showing the team? That you gave up? I'm not sold on putting backups in while you are getting your butts kicked, if that is happening, then the starters obviously need some work. Maybe the last 5 min's or so, but nothing more.

I did look at the scores of the games. When Ohio St. was up 63-31 the only thing that Bo got lucky was that Martinez didn't get hurt. The game was over there was no way we had a chance to win. You take out Martinez so he doesn't get hurt in an unwinnable game. Michigan was also another game that Hoke gave up on and they couldn't even get a first down in the 2nd half til late in the 4th quarter. when Martinez got hurt i thought there was no reason for him to be in the game when Michigan has given up. It's going to suck when Martinez leaves after next season cause we will have a qb with no experience again starting or very limited experience. bo does need to start thinking about when Martinez is gone and start giving backups playtime when the game is over.

They do it by working with, and under the direct supervision of a senior doctor. But they aren't just thrown to the wolves, "Well I guess you graduated from med school, go do a heart transplant" that doesn't happen. They do minor surgeries, not on less important patients but in less dangerous cases. Hell, I'm a surgical technician and I once had a doctor let me perform an appendectomy (under his supervision). After a couple of those, and some other small cases, I was able to do some interesting things while I was in Iraq.

I think the comparison is apt though. Practice doesn't make perfect. Yes they're backups now, but this isn't the NFL. Many of these guys are going to be starters in the future. The more we get them into REAL games, the better our future.

So you're saying that going against Idaho St. and Minnesota gets them better prepared that going against our offense or the Blackshirts every day in practice?

This is one of those "you can't win for losing" situations. The backups came in and some played pretty poorly, so we get this conversation where several people are bemoaning the lack of PT for the backups. But if they had come in and moved the ball and done well, we'd be having a "We should have given these guys a chance" conversation, calling for the benching of players and bemoaning the fact that some guys "never got a chance."

Pretty sure I remember having that conversation about Cody Green when he left, how he got shafted by the coaching staff and never got a chance. He's getting his chance with Tulsa, but he's not doing all that much with it. 54% completion rate, 13 TDs / 8 INTs, 1,900 yards and a QB Rating of around 115. He's 90th in the country in Pass Efficiency, against a SOS 80-something spots easier than Nebraska's.

It also wasn't just all normal back ups playing either. They must have emptied the bench of all Senior walk ons because I keep seeing new linemen on both sides of the ball for most of the 4th. It wasn't a true reflection of how the actual back ups would fair. It wasn't just guys we had seen like Randle, Peat, Rome at DT and Thompson, ARod, Pensick, etc. on the oline. I can't recall how many times I had to look a name up.

Kellogg would've had a better chance to have more reps in the game if the damn WR/TD had caught the balls that hit them in their hands. Two were for 1st downs! And another of his passes was behind the player but may have been catchable. If I was him, I'd be a little pissed.

I doubt many are faulting him for the passes he threw. I was surprised how poorly the read exchanges went. And, to be fair, Beck had him in pretty limiting play calls in early down sequences which Minny correctly read.

Pretty sure I remember having that conversation about Cody Green when he left, how he got shafted by the coaching staff and never got a chance. He's getting his chance with Tulsa, but he's not doing all that much with it. 54% completion rate, 13 TDs / 8 INTs, 1,900 yards and a QB Rating of around 115. He's 90th in the country in Pass Efficiency, against a SOS 80-something spots easier than Nebraska's.

I'd like to think you're wrong about people thinking Cody Green didn't get a chance. He got plenty of chances. He was terrible.

As for Kellogg, I didn't see what the announcers were saying about Bo "not liking the way he ran the offense". I thought he did alright. Our receivers sure didn't help him out any, because he threw some decent passes that should've been caught. That said, with all due respect to him, I doubt that he'll be 2nd string next year. I fully expect Armstrong to lock up the #2 spot on the depth chart.

I'd like to think you're wrong about people thinking Cody Green didn't get a chance. He got plenty of chances. He was terrible.

At the risk of appearing to point fingers and/or call out several people, I'm not going to provide links. But that has been a point that several have attempted to make in the not-too-distant past.