*** What we learned ***

That we can overcome critical mistakes.....

Eric Martin is a baller....

The only thing that can stop Rex is kryptonite..

We make adjustments on defensive in the second half....

Beck's play calling was a little iffy yesterday.....

Marinez needs to work on his footwork and throwing....he's better, but he needs to take another step...

I find myself calmer at the beginning of games because I know we will come back to win....not good for the blood pressure!

We averaged 4.5 yards per pass attempt and 3.8 yards per rushing attempt.

Passing on 3rd and 4 isn't a stupid call.

But it still freaks out certain Husker fans.

Not much to love about this game. But the part that you can love -- Rex Burkhead carrying the Huskers to the Big 10 title game on his shoulders -- made it feel like a pretty good Friday after all.

Sure if you completely oversimplyfy it to the point of being laughably soft on context.

Nebraska is going to have more running plays simply because Nebraska runs far more plays in general.

Nebraska has held the ball for 338.58 minutes this year (30.53 per game)

Iowa has held the ball for 326.39 minutes this year (29.14 per game)

:rollin

Pretty impressive verbiage there. Here's the full context, as to not "oversymplyfy":

Iowa had run 730 offensive plays. 365 rushing. 365/730 = 50% rushing

Nebraska had run 816. 513 rushing. 513/816 = 62% rushing

Nebraska is still significantly more of a rushing team.

Nebraska is also a far more up tempo team than Iowa and has far fewer short drives.

Don't know what that means. Do you mean they had more short drives? Faster tempo = shorter drives. But not sure how that relates to weather either way.

...rarely pass for more than 10 yards through the air.

Average yards per completion is 10.17. That's average. Meaning completions of over 10 yards are not particularly rare at all.

Iowa's best play on their lone scoring drive was a perfectly thrown 25 yard corner route. In the second quarter, Iowa had a wide open receiver for a 30-yard touchdown and the wind held it up. Would have been 14-3 had it been complete.

When we had the wind at our backs, Taylor was Taylor and threw it to the deep route without reading the safety. The pass looked really nice, and was right to the Iowa safety. He dropped it.

Today's weather was ... completely detrimental to how Nebraska does.

To say that wind and cold is completely detrimental to an offense that runs the ball on 62% of its snaps is absurd, regardless of who the opponent is.

But anyway, what is the ultimate point you're trying to make? That because Nebraska throws more deep passes, the weather was the primary cause of this game being close? That had it been 55 degrees with no wind, we would have won 35-7? I'm afraid not. It was the same questionable calls, poor execution (in certain areas) and sloppy play. Not wind or cold. It was just a lot of the same issues we've had throughout the season (which has been great weather, by the way) that has allowed mediocre teams like Iowa, Michigan State and Northwestern to come dangerously close to beating us. Feel free to show me specific plays where we were hurt by the weather in a way that Iowa was not. Or show me evidence of the absurd claim that Beck "tossed out 4/5ths of the playbook". You'll have a very difficult time convincing me or any fairly unbiased observer that intently watched this game, in its entirety, that Iowa significantly benefited from the wind. And I'm not saying that wind did not affect plays. Just that it didn't significantly benefit Iowa.

I think the point he is making is that Nebraska's offense is high powered and big play...but without the threat of our recievers the running game suffers greatly. Now thankfully Iowa's offense was so bad we weren't going to have to shoot it out regardless of weather but I think this brought the game to a lower scoring affair which favored the weak offensive hawkeyes.

Sure if you completely oversimplyfy it to the point of being laughably soft on context.

Nebraska is going to have more running plays simply because Nebraska runs far more plays in general.

Nebraska has held the ball for 338.58 minutes this year (30.53 per game)

Iowa has held the ball for 326.39 minutes this year (29.14 per game)

Nebraska is also a far more up tempo team than Iowa and has far fewer short drives.

Nebraka has run a total of 816 plays, Iowa has only run 750 plays.

Nebraska also gains an average 8.1 yards per pass attempt (.3 tenths of a point below Michigan for best in the Big Ten)

Iowa only gains an average of 5.9 yards per pass attempt (.2 tenths of a point above Illiois for worst in the Big Ten)

But besides all that,

Iowa by design is a two tight end downhiill power team that though they pass often rarely pass for more than 10 yards through the air. Their passing game is predicated on short routes to the perimeter to draw the outside linebacker coverage to the edge and open up the middle for their halfback to run against a 6 vs. 6 matchup (4 D-linemen a linebacker and a saftey vs. 5 O-linemen and a fullback). They pass to be balanced not to be a passing team. (heck through todays game they have 365 pass attempts and 365 rush attempts on the season)

Nebraska by design is a spread team that runs the ball to the edge to wear the linebackers out running sideline to sideline before going up the middle all while drawing the safeties up against the run in order to go vertical down the field.(before the Minnesota game how many times have you seen a screen pass this year?)

Iowa has 41 receptions on passes thrown 20 yards or more on the season and 84 on passes that were thrown fewer than 10 yards.

Nebraska has 68 receptions on passes thrown 20 yards or more on the season and just 33 on passes that were thrown fewer than 10 yards.

(all stats except the one I specifically stated otherwise are through last weekend and don't have today's game factored in)

Today's weather was perfectly suited for how Iowa likes to play on offense and completely detrimental to how Nebraska does.

This is the correct answer. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that DoNU has more of a vertical passing threat than does Iowa and their horizontal passing game, regardless of how many 20+ passes were completed today.

This is the correct answer. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that DoNU has more of a vertical passing threat than does Iowa and their horizontal passing game, regardless of how many 20+ passes were completed today.

Unfortunately for this argument, the wind was primarily North-South. Yes, there were occasional gusts in different directions, but it was mostly North-South. See: Maher's FG. This wind actually benefits downfield passes more than sideline passes. At least for the team with the wind at their back. (And that's only even relevant if you care to simplify the offensive plays and styles to a high degree.) But for those who want to simplify the reason why Nebraska didn't win any particular game by five touchdowns to something not related to, "Nebraska didn't play that well", carry on. I don't think Kirk and staff were walking around during pre-game warmups thinking, "Perfect weather. We got them right where want them!"

The good news is: Nebraska won. Whether we would have won by considerably more in calmer air, no one can say for certain. I've yet to see a convincing argument.

2. Why'd we abandon the toss?

After watching the runningback bobble the ball time and time again on toss plays, due to the high winds, do you really have to ask this question? Or are you still on your derp quest?

I was trying to ask a question, but I'm only going f'tarded responses, then...

After watching the runningback bobble the ball time and time again on toss plays, due to the high winds, do you really have to ask this question? Or are you still on your derp quest?

Your first point suggests derp quest.

Your first point suggests derp quest.

Thanks for clearing that up. I needed the nod from the arbiter of all things Husker football...