The block by Kenny Bell.

Yes.

1. Bell is leading with his shoulder ... not his head.

2. Not only is he not leading with his head ... Bell's head is tilted slightly AWAY from the tackler.

3. Any helmet contact is incedental ... caused by the tackler's head recoiling from the collision.

4. Therefore if someone should be flagged for helmet contact it should be the tackler. (Physics be dammed! Helmet contact is not tolerated).

If those hits are now going to be called a penalty, they should start letting the blocker start tackling the defender if he is still in front or to the side of the would be defender. If their going to change the way we grew up watching and playing the game. They can't let the refs decide it on the field any more, it moves way to fast for them. I know this idea is just as bad as the call was, but makes about as much sense as that call. :lol:

GBR!!!

Great picture Landlord. I've never seen this picture of the situation before, but it clearly shows that the call was a terrible call and that Bell lead with his shoulder and didn't even come close to "targeting". Also, I have come to the conclusion that NothingToSeeHere has done a great job of stirring people up here and he is probably just sitting back and enjoying the show. Ignore him and he will go away, or I really hope that he looks at Landlord's picture and will finally admit that he is wrong!

What difference does our level of playing football have to do with anything?

Ask BIGREDIOWAN and Atbone95...I didn't bring it up.

I asked if you ever played football, please show me where I asked what level you played football at? See this is what someone does when they have no argument. They redirect questions, try to make it sound like they are being mistreated, and start trying to point the finger at someone else. That picture shows you have ZERO reason to believe it was a dirty hit until you post a similar image showing a helmet-to-helmet hit, that's vicious, not incidental, the argument is over. If you did in fact play college football then your post about putting his hands up on a guy that is running full speed is absolutely ridiculous. The chance of injury to Bell wouldn't be worth it or he would become part of the problem. As a former defensive football player, I played through high school, I never shy'd away from a hit, maybe you did cause you "didn't want to hurt someone" but that's part of the game. This wussyness that is trending in football is sickening!

Lost in all the bickering is the fact that the call was "unnecessary roughness", not helmet-to-helmet contact or defenseless player. No matter how much we disapprove, the official rulebook does NOT define the term "unnecessary roughness". Everyone is free to download the rulebook and read it for themselves if they don't believe me. The term is open to the interpretation of the refs on the field. That's it. It's not black and white. Until the rules are modified with a precise definition, the NCAA is putting the final interpretation on any given play in the hands of the refs on the field. We may strongly disagree with the ref's interpretation, but he isn't technically wrong by the rulebook.

Sorry for the delay guys...I've been busy with church and family activities all day today.

So here is the breakdown of the helmet-to-helmet contact. In the first two photos of the top row, I've drawn a veritcal line to show where Bell's head is at just before impact. They are even in the first shot, but his head is out in front in the second screeshot. Bell's helmet is LEADING the shoulder. It's out in front and makes contact with Smith first.

You can clearly see that Smith's head turns to the left just before the impact is made with Bell's shoulder both in the side view angle AND the endzone angle. By rule, this type of hit is illegal.

unnecessaryroughness.jpg

The screenshot that you guys keep posting is AFTER Bell's shoulder hits Smith. His helmet hit Smith FIRST.

Unnecessary roughness. Offense #80. 15 yards from the spot of the foul. First down.

Sorry for the delay guys...I've been busy with church and family activities all day today.

So here is the breakdown of the helmet-to-helmet contact. In the first two photos of the top row, I've drawn a veritcal line to show where Bell's head is at just before impact. They are even in the first shot, but his head is out in front in the second screeshot. Bell's helmet is LEADING the shoulder. It's out in front and makes contact with Smith first.

You can clearly see that Smith's head turns to the left just before the impact is made with Bell's shoulder both in the side view angle AND the endzone angle. By rule, this type of hit is illegal.

unnecessaryroughness.jpg

The screenshot that you guys keep posting is AFTER Bell's shoulder hits Smith. His helmet hit Smith FIRST.

Unnecessary roughness. Offense #80. 15 yards from the spot of the foul. First down.

The angle that your pictures show from is a terrible angle. If you combine your photos with the other ones also posted you can clearly see that Bell is leading with his shoulder and his head is going to the right trying to avoid having a helmet to helmet. Your photos are not even close to being from the side where there is the best view of the situation. I'm not attacking you personally as I have seen some people on here, I'm simply stating the facts. The fact is, it was a solid hit that looked a lot worse than it actually was because of the fact that Smith didn't see it coming and he just got lit up. If you combine your pictures with the one that Landlord posted earlier, you can clearly see that there was no helmet to helmet contact at all. Bell lead with his shoulder and Smith wasn't looking which made it an unfortunate circumstance for him.

unnecessaryroughness.jpg

The angle that your pictures show from is a terrible angle. If you combine your photos with the other ones also posted you can clearly see that Bell is leading with his shoulder and his head is going to the right trying to avoid having a helmet to helmet. Your photos are not even close to being from the side where there is the best view of the situation. I'm not attacking you personally as I have seen some people on here, I'm simply stating the facts. The fact is, it was a solid hit that looked a lot worse than it actually was because of the fact that Smith didn't see it coming and he just got lit up. If you combine your pictures with the one that Landlord posted earlier, you can clearly see that there was no helmet to helmet contact at all. Bell lead with his shoulder and Smith wasn't looking which made it an unfortunate circumstance for him.

So what you're saying is that between the time of the third column of screenshots that I posted and the pic that Landlord posted, Kenny Bell pulled his head back to the right to avoid helmet-to-helmet contact?

You guys might be on to something with the whole Superhuman Kenny Bell thing...