All their eggs were in this basket

With Nebraska accepting a Cap One bid and a matchup with most likely Georgia, I can't help but think how badly Bo has made January 1 for himself. He and his players spent the whole week saying "if we don't win Saturday, all this was for nothing" and after the game "this was a failure, we set out for a championship and we failed."

Take a defeated attitude into a month of bowl prep and you will not be prepared to play your best. Now add to that an opponent in Georgia. 4 yards from playing for the 'ship. Screwed themselves over with horrendous clock management. Those boys are gonna be fired up.

The talent disparity alone would be enough to make this game a potential blood path (if you thought Wisconsin was running circles around NU, wait til them southern boys start runnin), but add onto it the two different frames of mind, oh boy. You may not want to watch Jan. 1.

Well, the flipside is, UGA is down and out. Do you think they have one player on that team that is going to be pumped up for this game? It is basically two teams that really just had emotionally draining games, of course, on opposite ends of the spectrum with NU getting killed and UGA losing a heart breaker.

• Fire 1

honestly, the way i see it, who cares? Its a bowl game. Do you know what you get if you win? a piece of metal with some writing on it. The kids still get to go to Orlando and have a good time with the nice weather and fun trip. By the time Jan 1st rolls around the kids won't be thinking about the CCG, they are going to try to erase that game as quick as they can. And for all we know they could come out ready to prove that we aren't as bad as we played and i think they will play hard. We won't win, but we will compete imo. This is a different situation that the Udub game at the holiday bowl. These kids will be hearing sh#t for the next 4 weeks about how bad they played and rumors of coaches fired and all sorts of adversity, but that will make them only want to practice and plan harder to prove everyone wrong. I know players on this team, they won't give up. It sucks massive D that we can't show up in a big game and win a CCG for once, especially after we all felt this was our best chance and we finally got over the hump. Oh well, sh#t happens, life goes on. GBR

• Fire 1

honestly, the way i see it, who cares? Its a bowl game. Do you know what you get if you win? a piece of metal with some writing on it. The kids still get to go to Orlando and have a good time with the nice weather and fun trip. By the time Jan 1st rolls around the kids won't be thinking about the CCG, they are going to try to erase that game as quick as they can. And for all we know they could come out ready to prove that we aren't as bad as we played and i think they will play hard. We won't win, but we will compete imo. This is a different situation that the Udub game at the holiday bowl. These kids will be hearing sh#t for the next 4 weeks about how bad they played and rumors of coaches fired and all sorts of adversity, but that will make them only want to practice and plan harder to prove everyone wrong. I know players on this team, they won't give up. It sucks massive D that we can't show up in a big game and win a CCG for once, especially after we all felt this was our best chance and we finally got over the hump. Oh well, sh#t happens, life goes on. GBR

1- I would agree with this except for one thing: this staff is still trying to close on HALF it's recruiting class. 2 embarassing blowouts against real competition (UGA means a little more than Iowa) do not help you close on guys considering you or Ohio State.

2- Maybe, but their stated goal all year hasn't been "prove we are good" it's been "prove we're champions". After an entire year of convincing yourself that's all that matters, it can be hard to change your mindset once that's out the window. I hope you're right, though.

1- I would agree with this except for one thing: this staff is still trying to close on HALF it's recruiting class. 2 embarassing blowouts against real competition (UGA means a little more than Iowa) do not help you close on guys considering you or Ohio State.

2- Maybe, but their stated goal all year hasn't been "prove we are good" it's been "prove we're champions". After an entire year of convincing yourself that's all that matters, it can be hard to change your mindset once that's out the window. I hope you're right, though.

I can't argue with those points. The 2nd one scares me because as you said, the entire team and coaching staff has basically said championship of bust in all of their pressers.

Well, the flipside is, UGA is down and out. Do you think they have one player on that team that is going to be pumped up for this game? It is basically two teams that really just had emotionally draining games, of course, on opposite ends of the spectrum with NU getting killed and UGA losing a heart breaker.

I dont know what the next few weeks will hold, for NU, but UGA is going to have a hard time focusing on us. A demoralized team like UGA could just implode. What ever mental scar last night put on the guys and staff I hope they get past it. They are going to be in for a huge uphill battle.

I dont know what the next few weeks will hold, for NU, but UGA is going to have a hard time focusing on us. A demoralized team like UGA could just implode. What ever mental scar last night put on the guys and staff I hope they get past it. They are going to be in for a huge uphill battle.

UGA will not have a hard time focussing on us. Their HC is a Nebraska man. They should of won the SEC. While on the other hand Wisky pounded NU into submission. Our teams body language said it all to me

I would hope that pride would play a huge factor in our game in the Capitol One Bowl.

The opportunity to play a team that very easily could be playing for the national title should serve as a lot of motivation. Our program has a lot to gain by at least competing against Georgia. But if we were to pull the upset, it would be ENORMOUS for both our football program, as well as the B1G conference.

Great measuring stick for us. a chance for a bowl after missing two under Cally. A chance to prove that this staff is competent and surely not as stupid as they appeared last night. A chance for the kids to leave with some pride. They have got to feel horrific today. I know I would. I would want a shot at someone, anyone to show the fans and country that we are MUCH better than we showed last night.

Most importantly, a chance to show recruits and their parents that we are worth choosing over Wisky, Michicken or OSU. After last night, I would not be surprised to have lost some recruits.

I'm confused as to which team you watch.

That defense gave up last night.