Early Creighton Thoughts

A few things at the front of my mind looking forward to the game Thursday. Not expecting a win, but a heck of a lot more optimistic than I was preseason.

-Slow the pace. Nebraska will not beat CU in a shootout, if Nebraska can keep CU in the low 70s the game could get interesting.

-Foul trouble. Nebraska hasn't faced a front court like this yet. What Nebraska is going to have to try and pull off is taking advantage of match ups. Almeida needs to be on the court when CU subs in their string bean back up center Artino.

-Who guards McDermott? Ubel will most likely get charged with the task most of the game. The one game McDermott has struggled this season was against UAB. They were able to get him in foul trouble and ran a lot of different guys at him and were really physical pushing him off the block. I think Tally is strong enough to guard him a bit and Rivers will no doubt get matched up a few times. Guys will need to step up.

-Make Wragge put the ball on the floor. The guy is straight money from beyond the arc. Someone, anyone will need to close on him fast when the ball heads his way.

-Pressure Chatman. He is a quick guy that can hit an open jumper, but has struggled with control from time to time and has gotten benched during key times of some games.

-Sag, then pressure, Gibbs. He doesn't shoot jumpers so there is no need to over pursue when the ball swings to him. Sag when his dribble is alive and pressure him when he picks it up to disrupt his passing lanes.

-Exploit CU's permitter defense. They have a history of letting scoring guards have huge games against them, two guards have had 30+ point games against them already this season. Gallegos is the type of player that can give them trouble.

-Be loud. This is CU's first true road game of the season. Nebraska fans need to be loud and show our guys support.

-And lastly play loose. Nebraska has no pressure to win this game and no one would worry if they lose. Go out there play hard and play confident and they have a shot to pull off the upset.

• Fire 4

I think the who guards Doug is the biggest question mark. Especially if Ubel gets into foul trouble which he will have a propensity to do. Rivers is quick enough, but would get abused in the block.

IF Andre can play quality minutes like the last two games and avoid the fouls he can abuse CU down low.

Gallegos needs to stay hot

Talley needs to continue to spread the ball to the other the scorers like he has and if love to see him continue his great defense on Chapman. He must shoot better than 4-14.

And finally as it always had been with this team the last however many years limit the turnovers

Confidence is a good thing for a team with a limited past. Nebraska is not the most talented team in most of their games this year. Miles is turning the corner I think with these kids and they seem to play hard. I also see them having shorter stretches of scoring droughts. If they can find Gallegos and he can knock down the 3's this scrappy bunch will surprize a few teams.

As I have run out of football kool-aid, I have now turned to my batch of basketball kool-aid. I don't think that we will beat Creighton(haven't drank enough kool-aid yet, but there are still a couple of days) but with what I saw last night made me feel better about this season.

We all know it probably is not going to be a great season but these kids are playing well right now and I think they may surprise a few teams. I said at the beginning of the year that we would win 13 games. I still think that is about right but if we can get a big win against either Creighton or Oregon that might springboard us toward a special season. Now I am not saying we will win the Big 10 or even be in the top half but nobody expects that anyway. Middle of conference would be a monumental success in my eyes and I don't think these kids will pack it in if they have a few bad losses. They will come out and fight the next game, at least I hope.

Great now the Jay-skers are going to come out and flood huskerboard lol. The game last night hopefully gave them enough confidence to at least compete with the gayjays. After B1G play starts I hope that we just are able to be compettitive with them. I think Miles has already shown alot of upside, but they still make some pretty dumb mistakes. Like Talley loving to dribble himself into a trap in the corner and turning it over, but they still overcame all of the dumb stuff and looked really pretty good last night. GBR