Shatel: Osborne says loss could help NU

Nexus

People can compare this to the Fiesta if they like, but I don't see it. The most comparable game I can think of is the 01' stomping we took at the hands of CU. These two games are very comparable. Wisconsin really didn't do anything too special than just simply hit us in the mouth time and time again which is the same thing CU did back in 01'.

You know another parallel that's interesting is big brother stoops. He was brought in by spurrier to fix the D. He did. He went on to OU and in 2000 their D absolutly shut down Florida State in the title game. Now when you look at bob stoops teams they are offensive powerhouses with less defense lately. So I guess every coach has up and down years in their "specialty."

Lol exactly! The point is that he went on to win a national championship as a head coach (year 2 nonetheless)... regardless of what would happen after. I can't remember ou ever being throttled by the tune of around 70 points under Bob.

We were not throttle by 70 points. It was 40. And yes, Stoops has had some embarrassing losses too. Bo Pelini and Nebraska are not the only coach/program that has really bad days at the office.

2003 Big 12 championship game Kansas St lost 31-7

2004 USC lost 55-14

2007 West Virginia lost 48-28

2009 Texas Tech lost 41-13

2011 Okla St. lost 44-10

No, Stoops has never had one of them days. He's so perfect in every way.

What gets me is when our team does play really well and gets a win, it's because the other team sucks. The double standard here would make folks in D.C. rub their head.

First of all, if Wisky had wanted to win by 70, they very easily could have. No question about it.

Second, look at those teams you name and think about the offenses they had in the repsective years that you name. Save for that KSU offense, (which, as we all remember, manhandled the Pelini-led defense badly enough that the ever-classy, then 35 year-old coach had to berate a 60+ year-old man post-game) those were all very legit offenseive teams. UCLA has what, the 30th best scoring offense (on PAC-10+2 defenses, mind you); Wisky was somewhere in the 80s before we so graciously helped them pad their total. Even OSU barely cracks the Top-20.

I'm by no means saying that "Big Game Bob" is perfect, but try comparing apples to apples.

and Bo can rack up as many of these games in 2 seasons as Bob has in 10. 1 every other year isn't as concerning as 3 per.

You know another parallel that's interesting is big brother stoops. He was brought in by spurrier to fix the D. He did. He went on to OU and in 2000 their D absolutly shut down Florida State in the title game. Now when you look at bob stoops teams they are offensive powerhouses with less defense lately. So I guess every coach has up and down years in their "specialty."

Lol exactly! The point is that he went on to win a national championship as a head coach (year 2 nonetheless)... regardless of what would happen after. I can't remember ou ever being throttled by the tune of around 70 points under Bob.

We were not throttle by 70 points. It was 40. And yes, Stoops has had some embarrassing losses too. Bo Pelini and Nebraska are not the only coach/program that has really bad days at the office.

2004 USC lost 55-14

2011 Okla St. lost 44-10

What gets me is when our team does play really well and gets a win, it's because the other team sucks. The double standard here would make folks in D.C. rub their head.

you know exactly what i meant sir. we got 70 points put on us... bobby doesn't know what that's like.

He's so perfect in every way? Lets not get emotional... I never hinted at anything of the sort.

When you said

this years loss in the CCG would be comparable to Spurriers loss in the 96 fiesta bowl if Florida scored zero points.

it sure sounded like you were talking margin of victory, not points given up.

Anyway, in the Florida case, they ran into an awesome offense with playcalling that was always 2 steps ahead of their defense. Our game seemed a lot more like the 01 CU game, when they just ran through gaping holes all game long with the same set of plays and never had to change. The aftermath of that game wasn't too pretty.

I think Osborne is trying to send a "don't panic" message out, which is probably correct, but it's that age old practice of trying to draw a parallel of a successful team/person who went on to make changes to get over the hump. For everyone that has been able to do it, there are dozens who never made it over the hump.

• Fire 1

2004 USC lost 55-14

2011 Okla St. lost 44-10

you know exactly what i meant sir. we got 70 points put on us... bobby doesn't know what that's like.

He's so perfect in every way? Lets not get emotional... I never hinted at anything of the sort.

I figured that's what you meant. Not trying to starte heated argument. But just in case I wanted to point out that we did lose by 40, not 70, and that Stoops has lost by similar margins on just more than one "fluke" case, as a way to show that everyone has their bad days. Alabama lost to Texas A&M and could stop the Aggies to save their ass.

I know it has happened here lately with a little more frequency than others, which does point to some issues that need corrections. It seems to be getting spun that we're the only ones getting blown out on occasion, so we need to start over again.

Well, the first part of the song works, anyway... :) Not so sure the second part is a pick me up...

Oh, but he's just looking at the bright side of life. And the alternative. :dunno

/ actually I was just looking for an excuse to post something Monty Python. lol

I can find no fault in this. You are what make the internet worthwhile, Sir. :)

2004 USC lost 55-14

2011 Okla St. lost 44-10

none of hose teams were 7-5 they were all top 10 teams big difference

People can compare this to the Fiesta if they like, but I don't see it. The most comparable game I can think of is the 01' stomping we took at the hands of CU. These two games are very comparable. Wisconsin really didn't do anything too special than just simply hit us in the mouth time and time again which is the same thing CU did back in 01'.

I think you are correct about this. When a team continues to run the same plays with great success and we can't make adjustments to stop it, the team has some serious problems. If coaching is the problem, we'll see similar things in the next couple of years. If the problem is players, it could get fixed by next year. If the problem is a combination of coaching and players, things may get much worse. I hope I'm wrong but I can see this game kicking off the same sequence of events that occured in the years after the '01 CU game.

I had a dream last night that TO was still coaching and we beat Wisconsin 55-17 to win the Big Ten Conference and capped an 11-1 regular season with a BCS bowl invite. Did it through a punishing run-oriented offense, tireless defense and coaches making changes at half-time so we dominated the last two quarters. Then I woke up:(

I agree with TO that this kind of game can be instructional. But we've seen about 5 of these meltdowns in the last 2 years. How do we know this is going to be the one that's instructional? We obviously didn't learn much the last 4 times around.

Under Osborne, I would definitely see this game being instructional.

But this is under Pelini. I hope he learns from it, that would be fantastic, we'd be a force then. But I need to see it first.