Next year's schedule

Put me in the camp of only three returning defensive starters is more of a positive than a negative. Some basic athletic ability and speed is all that would be needed to improve on this side of the ball. To be completely honest, 0 returning would not concern me. Of course I assume the cupboards are not bare and that we might actually have some guys capable of pressuring an opposing QB and tackling correctly; just a couple of the obvious things we struggled with this year.

Having said that, I don't know how anyone can expect to be 12-0 or 11-1.

Ohhhh... you're new here.

haha well I've been lurking in the shadows for quite some time so I have seen it quite a bit. I guess I meant that I don't see why people are marking down UCLA, MICH, and NW as wins at this point.

Only wins I am chalking up are Wyoming. Iowa, FCScrubs, southern miss, Minny. We got a decades worth of breaks this season. I don't see us pulling off 6 wins to close out the regular season again. UNLESS we land several solid JUCOs...and that is looking bad currently

Again!

Are wins the only thing that is important? Easy schedule this year, the Big 10 is just above the Least.

Do any of you feel proud of how this team plays, like a real competitive team. I know the kids try, but I think they are being failed badly.

More important to show and look like you belong there. We never do anymore. I could care less if we lose 8 games or all of them if we actually looked and played like a competitive team. WE ARE NOT.

It is beyond sad, it is close to sickening seeing a once proud program flounder around like a snake with out a head. No guidance, no development, no ability to correct continous problems, the same exact problems we have had for years. When does it change. Every year it is this year. WE HAVE AN EASY SCHEDULE, WE WILL BE UNBEATABLE. Screw that, to be the best you have to beat the best, never mind we never do and never will with the leadership we have. And currently I put the AD in that category. He has done nothing to develop a true head coach, just along for the ride. Never thought I would even think that let alone type it.

Next season, according to my copy of NCAA 13 for the Xbox 360, has Nebraska losing only one game next year. The team overcame an early season loss to Illinois, defeated the #1 Hawkeyes for a spot in the conference title game, and beat Duke to win the National Championship. A crazy year indeed.

I think the young LB's and young defensive lineman will actually be an upgrade from the ones we had this year. Rose, Brown, Afalava, Curry, Valentine, McMullen, Moss, Anderson (if his knee heals properly) will all be upgrades in overall athletic ability.

Agree! They might have a hard time adjusting to Bo's ridiculously complex defensive system, but at least we should have better athletes on the field.

Well apparently Lavonte didn't "get" the scheme either, and we all know how he turned out.

Fisher, Compton and Whaley might have been the slowest group of LB's we've had in a long time, I won't be sad to see them go.

I agree with all of this. Really hoping the young guys we have yet to see are going to turn some heads immediately. It's not out of the realm of possibility. Also, Coimpton, Whaley, and Fisher were slow, no doubt. But they were very bright, hard working guys and they deserve a lot of credit and respect. I agree the younger LB's appear far more talented athletically. Let's just hope those young guys picked up on the work ethic of the 3 names above.

Losing all of the experience on D makes me think it will take 2/3 of a season for the new guys to get the scheme down and begin to remotely look like a defense should. UCLA 2012 could look like a victory compared to UCLA 2013.

Our schedule was not anywhere close to as difficult as people seem to believe. We played three teams currently ranked: UCLA, Ohio St. and Michigan. We beat Michigan when they played the worst QB in FBS, Penn State was decent and the rest were average to terrible (Rothman ranks USM as the worst team in FBS). Despite this, we were a handful of crazy plays away from being 7-5. Two of our losses were all-around embarrassing. The other was defensively embarrassing (most yards given up in the history of the program). Largest average margin of defeat in at least 50 years, maybe ever.

Hopefully Bo realizes there are issues and takes serious steps to fix them. He strikes me as too stubborn to do this, but I hope I'm wrong.

Not to nitpick, but Northwestern is also ranked and Wisconsin is too in the coaches poll. That's 4 or 5 ranked teams, though you can question how deserving Northwestern is.

Here's my takeaways, just based on these statistics:

Our offense should be great. Our defense will take a step back.

nuke2.jpg

PS: I don't know if they will be great - but I think they can be consistently average. In which case I think they will end up better overall. It's like going from BC to Bo. It can't be any worse can it?

Way too early prediction:

NU-55 WY-51 shootout. Luckily at Lincoln

Our schedule was not anywhere close to as difficult as people seem to believe.  We played three teams currently ranked: UCLA, Ohio St. and Michigan.  We beat Michigan when they played the worst QB in FBS,  Penn State was decent and the rest were average to terrible (Rothman ranks USM as the worst team in FBS).  Despite this, we were a handful of crazy plays away from being 7-5.  Two of our losses were all-around embarrassing.  The other was defensively embarrassing (most yards given up in the history of the program). Largest average margin of defeat in at least 50 years, maybe ever.

Hopefully Bo realizes there are issues and takes serious steps to fix them.  He strikes me as too stubborn to do this, but I hope I'm wrong.

Not to nitpick, but Northwestern is also ranked and Wisconsin is too in the coaches poll. That's 4 or 5 ranked teams, though you can question how deserving Northwestern is.

Good call. Forgot about northwestern. my basic point still stands though

by the time we get to the Mich game, we will likely be in control of our own destiny as far as the Legends, and we all know how that ends up with this team.

You mean like this year? We were in control of our own destiny this year and we won out.

With a decade worth of football luck and bounces... Doubt we get it next season :-(