State of HuskerBoard

walksalone

There are just some posters that you can't report. The report function works for one post that contains an attack, but you can't just report all 8000 posts of derp that don't contain offensive material but make the board worse. You've gotta start giving out 1 or 2 day bans for sucktitude or trolling or general bad posting or else the losers will never learn.

au contraire. You can report one of those posts, and in the comments section let us know that the person's whole body of work is derptastic. We can look into it, and make a decision.

The fact is - and this is especially for walks, since he took my last post so poorly - there are some posters here you're not going to like or get along with. That's just the way life works. If they're not causing problems overall for the board, leave them alone, use the Ignore Function, or report them. But starting a thread like this griping about the overall tenor of the board doesn't do much. We can't tailor this board to suit the tastes of each individual, and you shouldn't expect us to. We'll do the best we can, and we're going to miss some stuff.

It probably feels like the Mods are here all the time, seeing everything, and we do try to stay ahead of all the problems. But the fact is we're human, we get busy (or, in my case right now, quite ill) and we just can't catch everything. A good board is good because it's full of good people. That's why I became a member here, and that's how it'll stay good here. You all have to self-police this place, too. Help us. We're only human, and you have to remember that the Mods are only volunteers. Cut us a little slack, walks.

• Fire 3

I think the tension on any board is usually a reflection of the unity in opinion of the fanbase. Things go well, and the interwebs are smooth. It wasn't too many years ago when the anti-Callahan bunch were a somewhat vocal minority often run off or paid little attention. Then 2007 happened...

For some time Bo was totally untouchable, but that's no longer the case. The poor showings, especially this year, have some people positively livid. And the solid winning % has Bo still enjoying a lot of ardent support.

There's no right or wrong here and there will always be biased positions or uninformed opinions, and that's OK. Trolling's not OK, but neither is returning fire in kind...because that only adds to the cleanup project. I don't know if I'd agree that there are more trolls than usual, more guys who are out to cause problems -- just more overall friction, as reflective of a fanbase more fractured in opinion than we've had in some time.

Things are always a little feistier when there's more disagreement than kool-aid going around. Allow for that, keep shed stuff in the shed, argue to your heart's content, without going nuts on each other. For our part, we'll do what we can. I'd ask everyone to remember, though, that the goal of moderator action is to keep everybody apprised of our community standards, and not to mete out punishment and address grievances.

One thing I hope we can all agree on -- if the Huskers would start winning 12 games a year, please, that'd be really, really swell :D .

The fact is - and this is especially for walks, since he took my last post so poorly - there are some posters here you're not going to like or get along with. That's just the way life works. If they're not causing problems overall for the board, leave them alone, use the Ignore Function, or report them. But starting a thread like this griping about the overall tenor of the board doesn't do much. We can't tailor this board to suit the tastes of each individual, and you shouldn't expect us to. We'll do the best we can, and we're going to miss some stuff.

It probably feels like the Mods are here all the time, seeing everything, and we do try to stay ahead of all the problems. But the fact is we're human, we get busy (or, in my case right now, quite ill) and we just can't catch everything. A good board is good because it's full of good people. That's why I became a member here, and that's how it'll stay good here. You all have to self-police this place, too. Help us. We're only human, and you have to remember that the Mods are only volunteers. Cut us a little slack, walks.

Well, how was I supposed to take it?

"Geez Knapp, thanks, I'm a gigantic a-hole. You're right, I should have never doubted you and your all knowing wisdom. I am a fool, and I will make sure I run everything I post past you, so that I don't make myself or the board look bad"

Would have that been a better response?

Next time I'll check in with you Cochise, before I make the mistake of speaking my mind about something...

• Fire 2

I thnk what pisses me off more than anything is all the damn sarcasm. Ever freakin thread has to have someone throw a jab at someone or something.

Yeah, sadly a lot of the jabs are directed to our own team. To our players, and especially our coaches. It seems like some people expect our guys to complete every pass, make every tackle for a loss, call the perfect play in every situation, win every game we play, and beat the point spread doing it. Unfortunately it just doesn't work that way in football. Or in real life for that matter.

But for all its faults, HB stacks up well against any other message board out there. Hats off you you Eric, and the mods. And Happy New year! :thumbs:

• Fire 2

I thnk what pisses me off more than anything is all the damn sarcasm. Ever freakin thread has to have someone throw a jab at someone or something.

Yeah, sadly a lot of the jabs are directed to our own team. To our players, and especially our coaches. It seems like some people expect our guys to complete every pass, make every tackle for a loss, call the perfect play in every situation, win every game we play, and beat the point spread doing it. Unfortunately it just doesn't work that way in football. Or in real life for that matter.

But for all its faults, HB stacks up well against any other message board out there. Hats off you you Eric, and the mods. And Happy New year! :thumbs:

+1 NUance. Well said. This board is by far the best there is. And thanks to the Mods for all you do. Happy New Year.

Kiss ass ;)

Zoogies makes a good point. When Bo was first hired we were all riding the high of TO returning to the program and looking to rebuild from a 5-7 season. Expectations were lower. Bo met them well. Year two we were "Texassed" out of the conference title and shut out Arizona in the Holiday bowl. Year 3 Taylor emerged. Suddenly the expectations went through the roof. We just haven't been able to turn the corner and people are losing patience due to the continued sloppy, undisciplined play we see.

Zoogies makes a good point. When Bo was first hired we were all riding the high of TO returning to the program and looking to rebuild from a 5-7 season. Expectations were lower. Bo met them well. Year two we were "Texassed" out of the conference title and shut out Arizona in the Holiday bowl. Year 3 Taylor emerged. Suddenly the expectations went through the roof. We just haven't been able to turn the corner and people are losing patience due to the continued sloppy, undisciplined play we see.

And if Bo would have went along the lines of 7-5, 9-4, 9-5, 10-3, 10-4 people wouldn't be nearly as angry. But because we performed much higher than expectations in 2008 and because one game made us fancy ourselves elite in 2009, we've felt an unwarranted sense of being stuck in a rut for the last few years, even though we have continued to make improvements and show a better product overall.

And if Bo would have went along the lines of 7-5, 9-4, 9-5, 10-3, 10-4 people wouldn't be nearly as angry. But because we performed much higher than expectations in 2008 and because one game made us fancy ourselves elite in 2009, we've felt an unwarranted sense of being stuck in a rut for the last few years, even though we have continued to make improvements and show a better product overall.

Don't really agree with overall improvement. Feel like we've flatlined. When we get a sharp offense and defense in the same season....we've taken the next step...

• 1 year later...

I've seen some of the low point on this board (Callahan, Cosgrove Death Threats, etc) just to name a couple.

But in the past 6 months or year even, I don't think I've ever seen this level of jackassery. If it wasn't the invasion of the refugee HP members, or some random douchenozzle starting sh*t after a loss, this year has been a dumpster fire. So many folks have just showed up, and turned what was a really good message board, into the sh*t pinata it is now, subsequently running off a lot of the guys that made this a great place to shoot the sh*t.

I'm not the only one out there, who misses how much fun this board used to be...

We're about a year later. What is the current state of Huskerboard? Better? Worse?

I've seen some of the low point on this board (Callahan, Cosgrove Death Threats, etc) just to name a couple.

But in the past 6 months or year even, I don't think I've ever seen this level of jackassery. If it wasn't the invasion of the refugee HP members, or some random douchenozzle starting sh*t after a loss, this year has been a dumpster fire. So many folks have just showed up, and turned what was a really good message board, into the sh*t pinata it is now, subsequently running off a lot of the guys that made this a great place to shoot the sh*t.

I'm not the only one out there, who misses how much fun this board used to be...

We're about a year later. What is the current state of Huskerboard? Better? Worse?

About a million percent better since the herd of people who immediately insulted your intelligence if you said anything contrary to a Bo Pelini talking point got thinned out.

There's actual, civil debate here. With some snark and passion. These are good things.