Tom's Take (Shatel)

"Beck shows confidence: Tim Beck showed he’s worth the money, whatever the money is, on Tuesday. It was a good, imaginative, fun game plan with Beck using all the toys. There were a couple of times you wished he would have stuck with Burkhead and the run game. But Nebraska played aggressively and with confidence on offense in a big game. If they get any defense at all next year, it’s going to be a big one."

http://sports.omaha.com/2013/01/01/toms-takes-georgia-45-nebraska-31/

I am not trying to be a negative person here, but I found myself "questioning" Beck all day..... I am not saying he needs to be fired, but am somewhat suprised by the "love" that he is getting...... For the life of me, I can't figure why Rex takes us down the field (aided by 2 pfs), and once we get inside the 20, Beck dials up 3 straight passes..... I am a Tmart fan, but 22 should have touched the ball at least twice in that sequence.....we settle for field goal

Later, 3 and 1....... I know that Beck didn't fumble and if Ameer holds onto the ball, the play worked,..... but even before they ran the play, I was asking "why"..... in that situation, WHY risk a fumbled snap under center to a RB... and then take it out of Rex's hands and put it into a sophomore.... yes, I know how great Ameer has done this year and I really, really like him....but I am going down swinging with my senior stud...... Don't get fancy..... just let Taylor take snap and let Rex get the yard... It was a YARD, not the endzone (which is when Beck used the same play earlier in year...worked a few times and Rex fumbled the other)....

** To me, that turnover may have been the turning point of game....Beck didn't fumble, but WHY ?

Also, Taylor bailed Beck out a few times...noticeably when Beck dialed up the 3rd shovel pass that Georgia was finally "sitting" on...

and.....He called the "diamond" formation 1 time....and Tmart took it for about 8 yards....never to be seen again... I would guess that Taylor's completion % from that formation on play action is probably 85% or better, yet not one play-action from the formation that stretches and stresses the defense the most.

and...why line up in a tight bunch-trips....only to shift out of it EVERY TIME....at least run 1 play from that look or what good does it really do? When the defense is ready to shift and follow, it doesn't create that much of a diversion at the top notch level.

I just don't understand all the Beck hype......but compared to JP's defense, Beck could be the Mayor !!

• Fire 4

If they would have reviewed Ameer's fumble I truely feel we win this football game and ESPN is talking about us and a MNC run next year.

Was I the only one that thinks the back judge whistled it dead and ruled him down initially???

• Fire 1

It really is as simple as this, Hang on to the damn ball. The play was there every team has something they do. Georgia had there wildcat and we had that. It worked too so IMO it was a great call. YOU JUST HAVE TO HANG ONTO THE DAMN BALL.

I agree with what you are saying. In fact, I said that in my post.... My question is why run a "trick" formation for a play that was designed for 1 yard, not a "let's catch them off-guard home run" play. I would bet that 99.9% of husker fans would rather have the ball in 22's hands than anyone else on entire team..... I know that if Ameer holds on, everyting is ok...but I would still question it... I think he got a little too "cute" and it cost us... just my opinion.

Furthermore, when we got inside the 20 again, Beck dials up another pass...which Taylor almost missed Burkhead...great catch...but again, as much success as we were having on the ground, into the weakness of their defense, why did Beck insist of putting the ball in the air... Once again, Rex made a great catch, or people would be questioning that "call" too.

If they would have reviewed Ameer's fumble I truely feel we win this football game and ESPN is talking about us and a MNC run next year.

Was I the only one that thinks the back judge whistled it dead and ruled him down initially???

Lol.

Big XII officials

actually I thought the game was called fairly evenly

Perhaps now that Beck has established himself, T-mart has improved dramatically, and we now have awesome depth at RB, Bo be able to put more of his focus on the D. The Offense appears to be in (mostly) capable hands. This should let Bo be able to get back to focusing on shoring up the D, much like he did when he first got here. I think we graduate some talent, but also some liabilities on D. If it were up to me, the offense being the most potent it has been in a long time, I would like to think Bo's added focus and influence on the D could get them to be about as effective as the 2008 defense.

Lol.

Big XII officials

I agree with EZ, saw the same thing he did blow it dead. The Georgia players got them to make another call. As far as fair...what about the 2 point conversion? Anybody else see 72 come out of his stance? Yea, no call, but we sure got the call on the other side of the line.

Lol.

Big XII officials

I agree with EZ, saw the same thing he did blow it dead. The Georgia players got them to make another call. As far as fair...what about the 2 point conversion? Anybody else see 72 come out of his stance? Yea, no call, but we sure got the call on the other side of the line.

Let me start by saying officiating did not cost Nebraska the game, but I agree with both of you guys....let me add to it.... I may be wrong, but later in the 4th qtr, when Tmart was running out of bounds, he took a good shot, pushing him under the bench (Mickey Joseph vs OU all over).... the contact was made inbounds, but it was obvious that Tmart had given himself up.... the ref probably made the right "no-call", but there is a part of me that truly thinks that if it was a Nebraska player hitting the opposing QB, a flag would have been thrown.

Lol.

Big XII officials

Let me start by saying officiating did not cost Nebraska the game, but I agree with both of you guys....let me add to it.... I may be wrong, but later in the 4th qtr, when Tmart was running out of bounds, he took a good shot, pushing him under the bench (Mickey Joseph vs OU all over).... the contact was made inbounds, but it was obvious that Tmart had given himself up.... the ref probably made the right "no-call", but there is a part of me that truly thinks that if it was a Nebraska player hitting the opposing QB, a flag would have been thrown.

That and the final sack trying to behead martinez. I'm sorry but this is total bs. As much as I'm the "it's football bla bla bla" type, theyre trying to do so much to protect players, and more exlusively qbs, these are the situations that just make me shake my head when nothing is called. I guarantee you and would bet everything I own that if Eric Martin woulda shoved Aaron Murray out like that or tackled him in the manner that Taylor was, not only would a penalty have been called, but he probably wouldve been ejected. Now, we can all be honest that back in the haydays, we would giggle when our guys roughed up opposing qb's. I guess I cant blame the players in the situation as dirty as it was, becuase if these "pu&&y" rules as I call'em are not consistently enforced, this stuff will keep happening.

Yes there were some bad/questionable calls. No, they didn't cost us the game. Worst tandem calls of the day; Georgia QB obviously grounds the ball from inside the tackle box with no receiver within 30 yards- no call. Next series, Martinez throws one away within the seven yards of an eligible receiver- and that's intentional grounding? Bad calls are part of football, especially in the B1G or especially when you're Nebraska with a Big 12 crew BUT officiating was not the problem, our defense was.

Also, it seemed as if the cameras were never in position for a good replay review. I'd bet dollars for doughnuts that Ameers knee was down before he fumbled but of course they did not have a camera where it needed to be. F'n ESPN.