Tom's Take (Shatel)

I am not trying to be a negative person here, but I found myself "questioning" Beck all day..... I am not saying he needs to be fired, but am somewhat suprised by the "love" that he is getting...... For the life of me, I can't figure why Rex takes us down the field (aided by 2 pfs), and once we get inside the 20, Beck dials up 3 straight passes..... I am a Tmart fan, but 22 should have touched the ball at least twice in that sequence.....we settle for field goal

Later, 3 and 1....... I know that Beck didn't fumble and if Ameer holds onto the ball, the play worked,..... but even before they ran the play, I was asking "why"..... in that situation, WHY risk a fumbled snap under center to a RB... and then take it out of Rex's hands and put it into a sophomore.... yes, I know how great Ameer has done this year and I really, really like him....but I am going down swinging with my senior stud...... Don't get fancy..... just let Taylor take snap and let Rex get the yard... It was a YARD, not the endzone (which is when Beck used the same play earlier in year...worked a few times and Rex fumbled the other)....

** To me, that turnover may have been the turning point of game....Beck didn't fumble, but WHY ?

Also, Taylor bailed Beck out a few times...noticeably when Beck dialed up the 3rd shovel pass that Georgia was finally "sitting" on...

and.....He called the "diamond" formation 1 time....and Tmart took it for about 8 yards....never to be seen again... I would guess that Taylor's completion % from that formation on play action is probably 85% or better, yet not one play-action from the formation that stretches and stresses the defense the most.

and...why line up in a tight bunch-trips....only to shift out of it EVERY TIME....at least run 1 play from that look or what good does it really do? When the defense is ready to shift and follow, it doesn't create that much of a diversion at the top notch level.

I just don't understand all the Beck hype......but compared to JP's defense, Beck could be the Mayor !!

I thought Beck called a very good (not great) game. I agree that we could have used Rex more. However, I don't think it is fair to pull out a handful of plays and complain. You could do the same thing by pulling out certain runs and passes (two to Cotton) and make Beck look like a genius.

If they would have reviewed Ameer's fumble I truely feel we win this football game and ESPN is talking about us and a MNC run next year.

Was I the only one that thinks the back judge whistled it dead and ruled him down initially???

the fumble was reviewed. I thought he may have have been down too, but after watching the review I could not be 100% sure...neither cuold the officials ( terrible officials the Big12 has) and that is why they did not overturn the call. I did notice that Ameer did not contest it very much though...maybe that is good character on his part, but most RB's would have. He seemed pretty dejected on the sidelines.

Yes there were some bad/questionable calls. No, they didn't cost us the game. Worst tandem calls of the day; Georgia QB obviously grounds the ball from inside the tackle box with no receiver within 30 yards- no call. Next series, Martinez throws one away within the seven yards of an eligible receiver- and that's intentional grounding? Bad calls are part of football, especially in the B1G or especially when you're Nebraska with a Big 12 crew BUT officiating was not the problem, our defense was.

Also, it seemed as if the cameras were never in position for a good replay review. I'd bet dollars for doughnuts that Ameers knee was down before he fumbled but of course they did not have a camera where it needed to be. F'n ESPN.

They probably had all of them (extra cameras) at the Rose Bowl. (sarcasm). If I never hear another Rose Bowl promo, it will be too soon.

This is no knock on T-Mart, but wait until Beck gets a consistent game manager....lights out.

I completely agree!!! TMart is a talent that most of us take for granted including me at times, but when Beck gets his game manger type it is going to be special.

laughoutloud.gif

And what the hell does this mean?

I'm laughing at the concept that a "game manager" would be better than a guy who is a threat to take it to the house every single snap. "Game managers" are guys who don't do anything to lose you the game - but who rarely do anything to win the game, either. Zac Lee was the consummate game manager.

We have a guy whose final two years are going to put him on par with the Junior/Senior seasons of some of the best quarterbacks we've ever had at Nebraska, and you're saying it'll be better when we have a guy who isn't like that, he just "manages" the game. Unless I'm reading that wrong, that's a pretty funny statement to make. Martinez is a beast. Embrace him.

• Fire 1

If they would have reviewed Ameer's fumble I truely feel we win this football game and ESPN is talking about us and a MNC run next year.

Was I the only one that thinks the back judge whistled it dead and ruled him down initially???

the fumble was reviewed. I thought he may have have been down too, but after watching the review I could not be 100% sure...neither cuold the officials ( terrible officials the Big12 has) and that is why they did not overturn the call. I did notice that Ameer did not contest it very much though...maybe that is good character on his part, but most RB's would have. He seemed pretty dejected on the sidelines.

They are saying in the papers that there was no review of the play. Again, I could have sworn the back judge called him down.

Exactly......

Tmart runs this offense very well and is a threat no matter what the play call is. To say we will be better when we have a game manager is ridiculous. To even imply that a beret qb is the missing link too championships is totality not understanding the Gabe.

This is no knock on T-Mart, but wait until Beck gets a consistent game manager....lights out.

I completely agree!!! TMart is a talent that most of us take for granted including me at times, but when Beck gets his game manger type it is going to be special.

laughoutloud.gif

I'm laughing at the concept that a "game manager" would be better than a guy who is a threat to take it to the house every single snap. "Game managers" are guys who don't do anything to lose you the game - but who rarely do anything to win the game, either. Zac Lee was the consummate game manager.

We have a guy whose final two years are going to put him on par with the Junior/Senior seasons of some of the best quarterbacks we've ever had at Nebraska, and you're saying it'll be better when we have a guy who isn't like that, he just "manages" the game. Unless I'm reading that wrong, that's a pretty funny statement to make. Martinez is a beast. Embrace him.

laughoutloud.gif

I have to agree with you on Martinez. I also have to say that I just watch and wonder, when is that bad mistake going to happen from him. Seems that he has a way of starting or turning off the momentum, a bit every game, all by himself. I was always surprised when T Frazier or S Frost or T Gill caused a drive to stall by their own doing. Not with T-Mart, I wait for it. I think he will turn out to be one of the all time great q/b in Husker history in the stats category. Whether he can lead next years team to the elite status, comes down to those mistakes. He should be better at cutting those way down by next year, you would think. He has all the talent to do it with.

GBR!!!

I am not trying to be a negative person here, but I found myself "questioning" Beck all day..... I am not saying he needs to be fired, but am somewhat suprised by the "love" that he is getting...... For the life of me, I can't figure why Rex takes us down the field (aided by 2 pfs), and once we get inside the 20, Beck dials up 3 straight passes..... I am a Tmart fan, but 22 should have touched the ball at least twice in that sequence.....we settle for field goal

Later, 3 and 1....... I know that Beck didn't fumble and if Ameer holds onto the ball, the play worked,..... but even before they ran the play, I was asking "why"..... in that situation, WHY risk a fumbled snap under center to a RB... and then take it out of Rex's hands and put it into a sophomore.... yes, I know how great Ameer has done this year and I really, really like him....but I am going down swinging with my senior stud...... Don't get fancy..... just let Taylor take snap and let Rex get the yard... It was a YARD, not the endzone (which is when Beck used the same play earlier in year...worked a few times and Rex fumbled the other)....

** To me, that turnover may have been the turning point of game....Beck didn't fumble, but WHY ?

Also, Taylor bailed Beck out a few times...noticeably when Beck dialed up the 3rd shovel pass that Georgia was finally "sitting" on...

and.....He called the "diamond" formation 1 time....and Tmart took it for about 8 yards....never to be seen again... I would guess that Taylor's completion % from that formation on play action is probably 85% or better, yet not one play-action from the formation that stretches and stresses the defense the most.

and...why line up in a tight bunch-trips....only to shift out of it EVERY TIME....at least run 1 play from that look or what good does it really do? When the defense is ready to shift and follow, it doesn't create that much of a diversion at the top notch level.

I just don't understand all the Beck hype......but compared to JP's defense, Beck could be the Mayor !!

I thought Beck called a very good (not great) game. I agree that we could have used Rex more. However, I don't think it is fair to pull out a handful of plays and complain. You could do the same thing by pulling out certain runs and passes (two to Cotton) and make Beck look like a genius.

Not to mention that on the first two plays that he was complainnig about, we had guys wide open for TD that TMart didn't see. That isn't on Beck, it's on TMart.

Lol.

Big XII officials

actually I thought the game was called fairly evenly

LOL...no, I disagree. There were a significant number of non-calls for Georgia (intentional grounding, motion, blatant hold on Georgia's first TD) brought up in the game thread for things we were being watched like a hawk on. The only things that were called against Georgia were calls that *had* to be made (read: Personal Fouls) because they were beyond questionable...and because there are TV cameras on you.

Granted, the Big XII officials didn't keep Nebraska out of the game--we did a good enough job of that with our poor secondary/special teams play and offensive turnovers. But you got the feeling they were there, lurking in the background, in case Nebraska was able to obtain a lead, ready to throw a questionable hanky at the most inopportune moment.

---

Getting back on topic, though, I agree with Shatel. While Beck has his moments where we questioned him (and let's be honest, even Dr. Tom has his bugaboos when he was calling plays...), he did a very good job overall. 31 points against an SEC team :10 from playing in the NC should have been more than enough to win the game. But we've heard this refrain before: 38 should have been more than enough to put away tOSU (at the Horseshoe, no less), and 31 should have been more than enough to win against a Wisconsin team using their third-string QB.

Anyone that's still on Beck's (or Martinez's) jock strap about the offense can't see the forest for the trees, I feel: we've got a potent and (more importantly) consistent offense now. We just don't have a consistent or even competent defense (or special teams) as the necessary compliment.

Not to mention that on the first two plays that he was complainnig about, we had guys wide open for TD that TMart didn't see. That isn't on Beck, it's on TMart.

Didn't see them because he was under pressure... Go back and watch the game. How many times did Taylor actually (once again) have a decent pocket and time to throw....he typically was feeling pressure from the outside at about 2 seconds. He didn't "see" the wide open receiver because he was rolling the opposite direction !!! Again, you are playing one of the WORST rush defenses in the SEC and their pass defense is what they have hung their hat on !!

So it only makes sense to go away from our strength (run..Burkhead), which was killing their weakness (rush defense) and let Taylor throw against their strength... Yes, Cotton dropped a ball and Taylor made a bad read on his first pick..

Yes, it is fair to pick out a "handful" of plays, because some of those plays I picked were "drive killers".... Yes, the players made or didn't make the play, but you could have put them in a position of higher success %.

Maybe I didn't make my original post clear.....in fact, I know that I didn't...... I said that I didn't mean to be negative. Beck called an "ok" game.....my statement was that I couldn't understand why people where going over the top with the "love" of the game he called. He didn't call a BAD game, but he sure didn't call the game of his life as some articles referred too. I am just saying that at times, he didn't do his offense any favors.

I am not ragggin on Beck, just stating that I didn't think that he was fantastic. Yes, 31 points, but the defense scored 7 of those...so now it is 24....which, should almost be the "norm" with the athletes he has !!

Once again, just my opinion....some will agree and a lot will disagree...cool thing about opinions.

It really is as simple as this, Hang on to the damn ball. The play was there every team has something they do. Georgia had there wildcat and we had that. It worked too so IMO it was a great call. YOU JUST HAVE TO HANG ONTO THE DAMN BALL.

IMO NU wins if NU had zero turnovers. Also, I heard on ESPN that NU has the 2nd longest streak of games with at least 2 turnovers.

Lol.

I was complaining about the early whistle. I didn't even notice the fumble initially. I was mad about the whistle because I thought the refs were late with the whistle all day allowing Georgia extra hits on NU players.

laughoutloud.gif

I absolutely agree. Martinez is the reason why Rex, Ameer, etc. could find so much room to run near the line of scrimmage. They can't write TMart off when they expect a run like they can with a "game manager". Yes, he makes mistakes. Tries to do too much sometimes, tries to force throws he shouldn't, forgets to hang on to the ball sometimes. There are things he needs to improve upon. Thing is, if he does improve on them, we're going to see one of the best QBs in the nation next season.

I'll take a "game breaker" over a "game manager" any day.

As for Beck: for the most part, I like what he's done. There are times that I question his play calling, but that's only because the plays didn't work. Sometimes he does have a tendency to go away from things that seem to be working, but I'll take that over not going away from things that obviously aren't working (which seemed to be Watson's curse). I think as an OC, if you keep pushing something that's working, you expect the defense to adjust to stop it, so you get away from it before they can. It's like a chess match, unless you know you can just run the other team over play after play after play (a la our offense in the 90's), you have to make sure you always keep opposing defenses guessing.