Observation from the Fiesta Bowl

Assuming Oregon and Georgia have comparable defenses, I think I'd take Taylor Martinez over Colin Klein.

Absolutely.

tmagic.gif

klein.gif

T-Magic has a lower percentage of INT's to touchdowns. And although he has a lower completion percentage, he has more total yards. Add to that the intangible of him being able to bust any given play open for 6 (as evidenced in the CCG), I'd take Martinez.

I'm never happy about the turnovers, and not really looking at the overall stats.

Just saying that Martinez and Klein had showcase games against quality defenses, and Taylor looked like the better athlete and better decision maker.

I also liked seeing Taylor get in the grill of the Bulldog defenders after the play, whereas Klein looked frustrated and defeated well before the game was over. Taylor fights back. Sometimes to overcome his own mistakes. But still.

It may not go on a Taylor Martinez highlight reel, but that first 14 yard touchdown pass, that absolute bullet to a well-covered Jamal Turner as the play clock ran out and with an enraged Georgia lineman closing fast, that was an incredibly cool piece of quarterbacking. I don't know if any Husker quarterback of the past makes that play.

It may not go on a Taylor Martinez highlight reel, but that first 14 yard touchdown pass, that absolute bullet to a well-covered Jamal Turner as the play clock ran out and with an enraged Georgia lineman closing fast, that was an incredibly cool piece of quarterbacking. I don't know if any Husker quarterback of the past makes that play.

But the flip side is on 3 and 3ish to keep the drive alive and stay in the game he feels phantom pressure scrambles out of the pocket and loses yards, when he had that same throw open again if you would have just settled and took a hit if need be.

But the flip side is on 3 and 3ish to keep the drive alive and stay in the game he feels phantom pressure scrambles out of the pocket and loses yards, when he had that same throw open again if you would have just settled and took a hit if need be.

I did notice TM got skitterish and bolted from the pocket when there was no immediate threat. I wrote it off to having questionable protection all year and a self defense mechanism. I did notice it several times though.

I did notice TM got skitterish and bolted from the pocket when there was no immediate threat. I wrote it off to having questionable protection all year and a self defense mechanism. I did notice it several times though.

Last season Martinez worked with the QB coach on mechanics ie foot placement, squaring the shoulders, follow through etc..... IMO, he was such a train wreck mechanically that was all they really had time to work on. His miscues this year, were not really a result of poor mechanics, but not progressing through reads, finding the outlet receiver etc..... I am hopeful that in year 3, Martinez will know the play book as much as possible (no wasted time "learning" playbook)and that his time with Calhoun will be spent with reading defense, pocket presence and looking the D off. Things that elevate a QB from serviceable to intangible winner. I also think that this time i the system will also allow Beck and Ganz to work on the same issues. Again, IMO, some of the passes thrown this year would not have been possible last year.

Did anyone catch the Texas A&M/Oklahoma Cotton Bowl?

Holy crap. Johnny Manziel is the real thing.

Still, hard to imagine him being able to keep up the pace for the next two or three years.

He seems to be a lot like Taylor his freshman year. He knows he is a good runner and that is how he likes to make plays. Too many times he seems to be back in the pocket just waiting for defenders to leave so he could take off running.

Uh....Tommie Frazier disagrees as he rifles a bullet to Ahman Green with a Colorado defender pulling him to the ground....

Uh....Tommie Frazier disagrees as he rifles a bullet to Ahman Green with a Colorado defender pulling him to the ground....

With a pump fake. :lol: Still one of my favorite football plays of all time.