Good things are already happening to our guys!

Wow, I learned a few things there.

I had never heard of, much less seen, a Fair Catch Kick. Interesting rule, and it took me a while to figure out the benefits and how it all worked. Hope to see one tried, and successful. Last successful one was in the 70's I think.

I also recalled Sebastian Janikowski being a helluva kicker, but wow, he was drafted high.

Thanks for the link, and the knowledge. Hope I get to share my new-found info about the Fair Catch Kick sometime. The perfect useless trivia to amaze friends and exasperate wives.

Wow, I learned a few things there.

I had never heard of, much less seen, a Fair Catch Kick. Interesting rule, and it took me a while to figure out the benefits and how it all worked. Hope to see one tried, and successful. Last successful one was in the 70's I think.

I also recalled Sebastian Janikowski being a helluva kicker, but wow, he was drafted high.

Thanks for the link, and the knowledge. Hope I get to share my new-found info about the Fair Catch Kick sometime. The perfect useless trivia to amaze friends and exasperate wives.

These players were drafted in the first round:

Sebastian janikowski was the 5th place kicker

Ray Guy was drafted in the first round by the Raiders in 1973

Charlie Gogolak was drafted in the first round by the Redskins in 1966

Russell Erxleben was drafted in the first round by the Saints in 1979

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_kickers_and_punters_have_been_selected_in_the_first_round_of_the_NFL_Draft

Would love to see Burkhead in Green Bay, I think he'd fit that system really well.

I thought it made a lot of sense. There's some connection there with Ahman and Brandon Jackson, but watching the playoffs they picked Ryan Grant back up and DeJuan Harris was pretty dynamic. But there was still a lot to be desired in a solid running game.

would love to see him in Shanahan's system at Washington. He would be a 1K rusher for sure

They've got a clear number one in Morris and Helu was on IR all year with turf toe I believe. Don't think Rex would see much playing time there.

I'd like to see him go to the Broncos. They need a consistent running back, and one that can block as well as catch out of the backfield and run hard.

I don't know the Broncos have some pretty decent backs, with Knowshon there and Peyton tossing the ball around all the time how much would Rex really do for them?

Who wants to hear this one...

Jets?

Would love to see Burkhead in Green Bay, I think he'd fit that system really well.

I thought it made a lot of sense. There's some connection there with Ahman and Brandon Jackson, but watching the playoffs they picked Ryan Grant back up and DeJuan Harris was pretty dynamic. But there was still a lot to be desired in a solid running game.

would love to see him in Shanahan's system at Washington. He would be a 1K rusher for sure

They've got a clear number one in Morris and Helu was on IR all year with turf toe I believe. Don't think Rex would see much playing time there.

I'd like to see him go to the Broncos. They need a consistent running back, and one that can block as well as catch out of the backfield and run hard.

I don't know the Broncos have some pretty decent backs, with Knowshon there and Peyton tossing the ball around all the time how much would Rex really do for them?

Who wants to hear this one...

Jets?

Ryan Grant and James Starks will likely be gone next year, Harris is look good, definitely would love me some burkhead at green bay.

Question--since we know that Maher can pull triple duty (punting, FG kicking, kickoffs), does this raise his stock any in the draft?

Personally, I would think if you could draft/sign one man to competently pull triple duty for you (and thus letting you spend another roster spot on an area you need support in), that they would be a valuable commodity that could go quicker in the draft than 'normal' or 'specialized' kickers/punters...or am I missing something here?

Whoever gets Rex will get one hel of a steal. I think he would be a great fit in Atlanta if they are looking to get rid of Turner. Still think Kyler Reed has Aaron Hernandez potential, it will be interesting to see what happens to him.

Not a chance in my opinion... I hope the best for him, but I don't see that kind of potential....

Question--since we know that Maher can pull triple duty (punting, FG kicking, kickoffs), does this raise his stock any in the draft?

Personally, I would think if you could draft/sign one man to competently pull triple duty for you (and thus letting you spend another roster spot on an area you need support in), that they would be a valuable commodity that could go quicker in the draft than 'normal' or 'specialized' kickers/punters...or am I missing something here?

Yes, as long as you can do all 3 good enough. Most likely though, you are either going to be the punter or the kicker, not both. Too specialized once you get to the NFL and they want them focusing just on their aspect. Kicking is too important in the NFL.

Ok, Ok, 10 is wrong. It was just a comment someone made on a board when they were talking about kickers drafted by the NFL. However, I would think that it depends on the need for that year. I'm sure there were some years when more teams needed kickers so the number would go up. Right now 2-3 kickers and 1-2 punters on average are drafted each year. But again, it's not correct to say that kickers are 'rarely' drafted.

You quoted the wrong person. ;) No big.

Yes, as long as you can do all 3 good enough. Most likely though, you are either going to be the punter or the kicker, not both. Too specialized once you get to the NFL and they want them focusing just on their aspect. Kicking is too important in the NFL.

Gotcha. Thanks. Do you think Maher can prove he's good enough to do all three at a NFL-level?

Rex's career will be very interesting to watch.

My prediction is that there will be at least a couple in this year's senior class that have a longer career than Rex. Not that he isn't talented enough. BUT, I see him as a guy who will go to the NFL, play a few years and then move on to the next stage in his life. I don't see him as someone who believes he needs to hang on to this career as long as his body will hold up.

What ever happens, he will be successful. I would love to see him in coaching and if I remember right, that is where he wants to be.