Huskers survived Top 25

In a statement that will be a total shocker to everyone, the polls are pretty subjective. The AP has a Michigan team that we handled head-to-head and has a worse record than us ranked ahead of us. I don't lose a lot of sleep about who's ranked where, except for #1 of course.

That's becuase they took an SEC team to the wire, and we were "routed" by an SEC team.

Routed...Really????

They beat us by 14 points in the fourth quarter. It was tied going into that final quarter. That is hardly a rout.

I'm amazed by the traditional powers :sarcasm ranked ahead of us: Louisville, Utah State, NW, Oregon State, San Jose State, Northern Ill, and Vanderbil

This is disturbing to me that in year 5 of the Bo reign, we have a 9-4 Vanderbilt team ranked ahead of us. I get it that they play in the all powerful SEC. But even with our

tough schedule (20th ranked), the AP writers still think more of a Vanderbilt team than a Husker team with a 10-4 record.

13 Louisville 11-2 781 22 14 LSU 10-3 756 9 15 Oklahoma 10-3 615 12 16 Utah State 11-2 456 18 17 Northwestern 10-3 443 21 18 Boise State 11-2 419 20 19 Texas 9-4 358 NR 20 Oregon State 9-4 303 15 21 San Jose State 11-2 243 24 22 Northern Illinois 12-2 227 16 23 Vanderbilt 9-4 180 NR

I have never put a lot of thought into the writers.... a lot of guys, who couldn't play the sport, so they write or talk about it. A lot of bias involved here too. I am not worried about all of those teams ahead of NU. Sure, I want to be #1 and if not, the highest possible, but don't think that having all of those teams ahead of us is a poor reflection of Bo. Give Bo all of their schedules, including Vandy ("Mr. Johnny come lately) and watch out. I don't think it is a reflection on Bo, but rather a reflection on how dumb the AP really is.

if that is great.....northern illinois, louisville, all ranked ahead of nu....embarrassing.......nu is not doing something right,,,,,either its the assisstant coaches, the head coach...but nu does not get much respect anymore.

shocking

Did you watch those teams play? Did you see their records? Have you seen the players on their rosters? They deserve to be where they are at today. Our team has still not quite turned the corner... We have had several oportunities to (2 big12 CC lossses, 1 big10 CC loss), but so far have failed in each one of them. I am however optimistic that the corner will be turned next season.

Vandy finished with 7 straight wins - many by a large margin of victory. We finished with 2 losses, one in blowout fashion. I don't see an reason why Vandy would be ranked below us.

Except for the fact that the only team they beat this year with a winning record was the bowl game team.

Watch the sportscenter for that day. They said "Georgia routed Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl". Pretty much exact words. Now, if I'm an AP voter and did not have a chance to watch either the Outback or CapOne Bowl, and I watch Sportcenter so I can get my vote put it, and I see Michigan take South Car to the wire, and that Nebraska got "routed" as they said, since Georgia must've lead 45-0 at one point obviously, my higher vote is going to Michigan. I know we shouldnt worry about what ESPN says, but they pretty much are king sh#t of college football right now, and the thing is is that everyone does watch them, and what they say really does have a huge bearing on the perceptions of the sport and what goes on. I know I'm a looney bin on this subject, but seriously, if it's Ohio St or Oklahoma or Texas or Florida St who had our 90's run instead of us, do you think they just pretty much ignore that it happened like they are now-or putting asterisks next to it-or is the hot topic today, all day, comparing the current Bama to that other team? I listen to ESPN radio all day every, and havent heard a word about any sort of comparison, and it's because they do not want to go down that road, because the logical answer is that it would not support the current agenda.

if that is great.....northern illinois, louisville, all ranked ahead of nu....embarrassing.......nu is not doing something right,,,,,either its the assisstant coaches, the head coach...but nu does not get much respect anymore.

shocking

Did you watch those teams play? Did you see their records? Have you seen the players on their rosters? They deserve to be where they are at today. Our team has still not quite turned the corner... We have had several oportunities to (2 big12 CC lossses, 1 big10 CC loss), but so far have failed in each one of them. I am however optimistic that the corner will be turned next season.

Really? Northern Illinois and Louisville deserve to be ranked ahead of Nebraska?

Louisville, 11-2 vs. the #70 SOS, who fought through that rugged Big East schedule, they're deserving of being ranked ahead of Nebraska?

Northern Illinois, 12-2 vs. the #120 SOS, who ground their way through a super-tough MAC schedule, losing to Iowa for crying out loud... they're deserving of being ranked ahead of Nebraska?

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with that. Give either of those teams our schedule, and if you think they'd be 10-4, I've got a bridge to sell you.

You named off two teams who don't have a schedule like ours. Record wise, they deserve to be higher than us. For a more guaranteed win I would have rather played Florida, but I would rather play SEC's best. Yes I still think Georgia is the best team in the SEC. One play away and a mental mistake from a rookie WR.

If we played their schedules, we would be ranked higher. Just saying.

EDIT: Dammit knapp, you had to beat me to the punch lol

I bet if Vandy plays in the CCG and then loses their bowl game they end lower than us. Final polls don't mean all that much really. It would mean more if 1/2 3/4 5/6 and so on played. But our game, for instance was Georgia (top 5 team, arguably) against a Nebraska team no one thought had a chance. So we inevitably drop really far, and they hardly move up.

shocking

Really? Northern Illinois and Louisville deserve to be ranked ahead of Nebraska?

Louisville, 11-2 vs. the #70 SOS, who fought through that rugged Big East schedule, they're deserving of being ranked ahead of Nebraska?

Northern Illinois, 12-2 vs. the #120 SOS, who ground their way through a super-tough MAC schedule, losing to Iowa for crying out loud... they're deserving of being ranked ahead of Nebraska?

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with that. Give either of those teams our schedule, and if you think they'd be 10-4, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Northern Illinois had a 1 point loss to Iowa as their only loss prior to their 21 point loss to FSU. They also have a mobile QB.

Louisville actually had an impressive win to cap their season.

Nebraska on the other hand had 4 losses which equals the combined losses for both NIU and Louisville. Factor in the 2 blowouts against Wisconsin and Ohio State where we surrendered 63 and 70 points. How can you objectively say that we could beat those teams? I stand firmly behind where we are in the polls. Our 2012 defense was simply atrocious. Our pass defense high rating was mostly due in part to our league. Georgia was kind enough to expose this for us.

In a statement that will be a total shocker to everyone, the polls are pretty subjective. The AP has a Michigan team that we handled head-to-head and has a worse record than us ranked ahead of us. I don't lose a lot of sleep about who's ranked where, except for #1 of course.

That's becuase they took an SEC team to the wire, and we were "routed" by an SEC team.

Routed...Really????

They beat us by 14 points in the fourth quarter. It was tied going into that final quarter. That is hardly a rout.

That's probably why he put quotes around it.

Northern Illinois had a 1 point loss to Iowa as their only loss prior to their 21 point loss to FSU. They also have a mobile QB.

Nebraska on the other hand had 4 losses which equals the combined losses for both NIU and Louisville. Factor in the 2 blowouts against Wisconsin and Ohio State where we surrendered 63 and 70 points. How can you objectively say that we could beat those teams? I stand firmly behind where we are in the polls. Our 2012 defense was simply atrocious. Our pass defense high rating was mostly due in part to our league. Georgia was kind enough to expose this for us.

I don't think Georgia exposed anything. Wasn't Murray still around a 52% completion rating? We were never #1 in ypg allowed. Let alone top 10. Murray threw some VERY good passes that were completely undependable. Only thing we could have done was a PI to prevent it. Georgia didn't expose anything. He found 2 plays where we had broken coverage and he took advantage of it. It was a good read by Murray more than it was a poor secondary.

shocking

I presume you didn't read the part about their strengths of schedule compared to ours? They didn't play anybody all season. At all.

It's easy to go undefeated or with a one loss season when you don't play anybody worth their weight in salt. Then when you have the media, who probably doesn't have the time to watch every game or do the deeper research (aka looking at strength of schedule); so they look at the records and 12-2 is better than 10-4, despite us losing to teams who: played in the Pac-12 championship, played in the Rose Bowl, had an undefeated season, and was :05 away from playing against Notre Dame last night.

Same thing goes with the coaches.

There is absolutely no validity in the rankings. They don't really accurately rank the teams, because it is too difficult to do so accounting for all the variables that make up the quality of a team.

But a ranking is better than no rankings at all. I personally prefer to evaluate the team based on what I see from them, rather than where we are ranked.