WR Monte Harrison

Nexus

Rumor has it that he is looking for first round money and that he will probably go in the second round.  First round he is gone, second round is the fence, third or later he will be a Husker.

For those who get excited if he ends up going in the 3rd round, regardless of what round he gets drafted in, he can still get offered 1st round money. It is rumored that Boldt turned down an offer close to 7 figures from Boston after being drafted in the 22nd round.

Rumor has it that he is looking for first round money and that he will probably go in the second round. First round he is gone, second round is the fence, third or later he will be a Husker.

For those who get excited if he ends up going in the 3rd round, regardless of what round he gets drafted in, he can still get offered 1st round money. It is rumored that Boldt turned down an offer close to 7 figures from Boston after being drafted in the 22nd round.

Bingo bango.

It's useless to try and set a pre-draft bar that will determine where Monte ends up.

It will all come down the specific team that pulls the trigger on him and how badly they want him. He's got some leverage because he's already got a full ride here and his outlooks as a football prospect are so rosy. Pro ballclubs know that, and will pay accordingly if they want him to sign.

Round he goes in is rather arbitrary.

Baseball is a whole different animal when it comes to rookie contracts. Basketball and football (maybe hockey? I have no clue) have slotted pay scales for rookies so they know about how much they are going to get based on where they are drafted.

True but baseball has something similar, just not as specific. You get a certain amount of money based on what pick(s) you have. You can use more or less than that on that pick but any extra you use on one player is that much less you have for everyone else. So it kind of depends on how well that team likes the rest of their draft as well.

Baseball has a semi-slotting system. IIRC, depending on where you are in the draft order, you get a certain amount of money to give out over your first ten rounds, and they offer suggestions of a slotted amount. If you pay a first rounder a huge contract, you have to make up for it by offering someone (or multiple) picks in rounds 2-10, less money. So I don't think someone's going to wow Monte with a huge contract offer. Also, if your first pick doesn't sign, you get an additional first rounder next year, one spot below this year's draft position. This isn't true of subsequent rounds. Might be easier to take a first round pick on him for this reason, provided he's first round talent. May make it tough to draft in the second, even if he is a second round talent, with his leverage.

Baseball is a whole different animal when it comes to rookie contracts. Basketball and football (maybe hockey? I have no clue) have slotted pay scales for rookies so they know about how much they are going to get based on where they are drafted.

True but baseball has something similar, just not as specific. You get a certain amount of money based on what pick(s) you have. You can use more or less than that on that pick but any extra you use on one player is that much less you have for everyone else. So it kind of depends on how well that team likes the rest of their draft as well.

You are correct. I just meant that the #1 pick can only sign for 4 years and 22 million like Cam Newton with Carolina. The year before, Sam Bradford got like close to 80 million over 6-7 years I believe. I just meant that it wasn't a set deal per spot.