Don't you think it's time to forgive Bill Callahan?

NO!

He screwed my Raiders. He did everything he could to destroy a Nebraska program steeped in tradition. I have to believe he is now doing the same in Dallas.

To ask me to forgive is out of the ralm of reality and shame on you SAH for asking me to do so.

T_O_B

TOB, I know your pain being a Raiders fan as well...

In less than 5 years, he f*cked two of my favorite teams...

He did not fork the raiders, Al Davis did before and again and again and still is. lol

I think Robbins screwed your team, not BC. But then again if he did not change the calls like someone said, he certainly did not help them as much as he could.

He ran the game just like 95% of NFL coaches would have.

He did not fork the raiders, Al Davis did before and again and again and still is. lol

I think Robbins screwed your team, not BC. But then again if he did not change the calls like someone said, he certainly did not help them as much as he could.

How did he not? He showed his inability to read and react to changing circumstances.

"Hey, this isn't working so lets keep doing it"

who does that sound like?

How did he not? He showed his inability to read and react to changing circumstances.

"Hey, this isn't working so lets keep doing it"

who does that sound like?

Bo Pelini?

The only thing I can criticize Callahan for is his inability to have the nads to get rid of his defensive coordinator. Look at the guys he recruited. We could score points. We simply could not stop the other team.

As Lou Holtz once said, "The hardest thing for a head coach to do is to fire his friends." He was, of course, referring to Callahan. It is the only time I have ever agreed with Holtz!

Tell me one thing. At what point was the defense so bad that Cosgrove had to go. It wasnt after 2006. That defense was playing at a championship level second half of 2006. 2007 went haywire. Obviously Callahan wouldve made a change after 2007 if given the chance, but there was no reason to get rid of Cosgrove after 2006, or even after 2005 for that matter after the improvements the team made on both sides of the ball down the stretch of that season.

I'm just trying to be a voice of reason. We all look back and say "derka derpa, fire Cosgrove, la de da", but really, he wasnt that bad until the last season for Callahan.

Forgiveness might not be the right sentiment, as many are pointing out that at this point in time, it is a moot point and doesn't have any practical implications for the current husker program. But what sparked the creation of this thread was the recent discussion about Tim Brown's accusations against BC. Some of Husker Nations' members, whenever Bill Callahan is brought up, bring up strong negativity that doesn't seemed like it has eased up one bit in it's intensity since he got fired. It may be time for the large portion of Husker fans who post vitriolic statements about Callahan online to tone down the comments I've seen on online media. I'd be inclined to think his family doesn't have too many fond memories of Nebraska since the end of his tenure was marred by harassment and threats towards him and his family, which I didn't feel good about. One thing I thought Nebraskans usually prioritize above Husker football is standard, salt-of-the-earth Nebraskan values like treating folks with that classic Midwestern hospitality.

Also, many of you are citing things such as the tossing aside of any Husker traditions, perceived arrogance/ego, and sterilized NFL- like atmosphere in the program as reason for continued persona non grata status. I was dismayed to see these things myself, but as much as I hate to admit it, if Bill Callahan was winning championships with his own formula, I tend to think I would gradually ignore it, soak in the good vibes of winning weekly and embrace that new era of the program. Our defining tradition is a tradition of excellence and winning championships. BC had me sipping the kool-aid and 100% behind him from about the 2005 Alamo Bowl through the pinnacle of his coaching career in the 9-5 2006 season (not saying much since Bo has had a better record every year of his tenure), and even after the loss to USC in 2007. I stopped the kool-aid consumption after the debacle at Missouri. He had shown inconsistent return on investment and it was time to cut the losses. Bo on the other hand has been a steady investment, delivering returns much more consistent with his salary.

The only thing I can criticize Callahan for is his inability to have the nads to get rid of his defensive coordinator. Look at the guys he recruited. We could score points. We simply could not stop the other team.

As Lou Holtz once said, "The hardest thing for a head coach to do is to fire his friends." He was, of course, referring to Callahan. It is the only time I have ever agreed with Holtz!

Tell me one thing. At what point was the defense so bad that Cosgrove had to go. It wasnt after 2006. That defense was playing at a championship level second half of 2006. 2007 went haywire. Obviously Callahan wouldve made a change after 2007 if given the chance, but there was no reason to get rid of Cosgrove after 2006, or even after 2005 for that matter after the improvements the team made on both sides of the ball down the stretch of that season.

I'm just trying to be a voice of reason. We all look back and say "derka derpa, fire Cosgrove, la de da", but really, he wasnt that bad until the last season for Callahan.

I get that, but usually Callahan outsourced most of the defensive strategy and play-calling to Cosgrove to focus almost solely on offense, and usually the offense held up their end of the bargain in BC's tenure. 2006's defense was blessed with a freakishly good Defensive line. We led the nation in sacks that year with 50 I believe. A disruptive D-line can mask potential deficiencies of a defense, which I think were exposed badly in 2007. Cortney Grixby getting consistently schooled was exposed his senior year in 2007, was not exposed when he started at CB in 2006 because the QB had time to throw it to his receivers in 2007. I felt emasculated when I read Chase Daniel described Coach Coz's defenses as "stuff he saw in high school". Nothing against Coz as a person at all. I've met him a few times and he's a stellar, stand-up guy. His son was one of the nicest people I have ever met.

Also, I guess I'm tone-deaf because I didn't think the validity of firing Solich was so hotly contested as many of you are indicating. I never really got why some folks are so adamant he should have stayed. Yes, he did get fired after a 9-3 season, but I think the big reason he was fired was more because of that horrible 2002 season. I still can't decide which season has left the worst taste in my mouth, 2002 or 2007. It was under Solich's watch the winning season streak ended, and generally has some merit to note that it happened on the first roster composed 100% of his recruits.

The turnaround in 2003 was almost 85-90% because of Bo Pelini. The offense regressed considerably that year as that was the first year Solich gave up calling plays as HC and he put a certain someone in charge of that role who had lesser play-calling acumen than any other husker Offensive coordinator I can think of in our program's modern history. That offense was woeful at times, evidenced by Memorial stadiums uncharacteristic booing of the team (due to the offense's struggles) at halftime in the 2003 season opener against OSU. The defense on the other hand could be prone to chip in a touchdown or rack up multiple turnovers in any given game, it was interception-fest that year. Bo deserves the lion's share of the credit for that 2003 turnaround, in the span of about 9 months no less. Solich was a decent coach, but I didn't get the vibe that he would ever be considered a truly excellent coach. I am completely of the belief Solich would have led us into sustained mediocrity. Just about the only mistake I can think of by Tom Osborne.

I get that, but usually Callahan outsourced most of the defensive strategy and play-calling to Cosgrove to focus almost solely on offense, and usually the offense held up their end of the bargain in BC's tenure. 2006's defense was blessed with a freakishly good Defensive line. We led the nation in sacks that year with 50 I believe. A disruptive D-line can mask potential deficiencies of a defense, which I think were exposed badly in 2007. Cortney Grixby getting consistently schooled was exposed his senior year in 2007, was not exposed when he started at CB in 2006 because the QB had time to throw it to his receivers in 2007. I felt emasculated when I read Chase Daniel described Coach Coz's defenses as "stuff he saw in high school". Nothing against Coz as a person at all. I've met him a few times and he's a stellar, stand-up guy. His son was one of the nicest people I have ever met.

I guess I see your point, especially about the dline in 06. It was stellar. But also, 05's defense had some pretty decent performances too. My point I guess is that there was really no overwhelming evidence to suggest the defenses as a failure prior to '07. I also thought there were some major, glaring, MAJOR effort issues in 2007 following the 2nd half of the USC game. I was at the Ball St game in the second half and told my that there were some major issues behind closed doors because they shoulda been able to simply out-talent Ball St. by 3-4 scores on a bad day.

As far as Chase Daniels goes, that kid is a punk. He bullshittin nonsense was ridiculous. He ran his mouth some after the 2008 game too. He was a little bitch, plain and simple. I wont take to heart anything that came out of his mouth.

What's up with the weird threads started by this guy? All but one of these come out of left field, with no previous conversation fueling their advent.

Curious double standard by Husker Nation

Making the case that we should forgive & embrace Lawrence Phillips, and contrasting his issues with other Huskers who've had run-ins with the law like Alfonzo Dennard and Thunder Collins.

After 2 years, which team/fanbase do you dislike most in the Big Ten

In a conference known for its harmony (aside from a few on-field rivalries), we're supposed to ignore the conviviality of our fellow Big Ten members and focus more on disliking/hating them. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

If we lose the bowl game, it won't be the defense's fault

Started after one of the worst performances this defense has produced in 50 years, the offense is pointed out as the problem.

And now this one, brought up (perhaps?) because of the recent Tim Brown comments.

Don't you think it's time to forgive Bill Callahan?

All this thread is doing is riling people up about an issue/coach long since put to rest.

Tell me that's not a bizarre set of threads to start. One is explainable. Two are odd. Four is a pattern.

• Fire 2