Don't you think it's time to forgive Bill Callahan?

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

+1 for the Princess Bride quote.

As for Bill Callahan... what's to forgive? He did his own damage to himself. There's no forgiving that needs to happen, we just needed to part ways.

Sure, some of the fans are over-the-top in their hatred for the guy... but even considering that he was put in an awkward position, he just never fit into the culture here, and he never tried.

Does Bill Callahan forgive "Nebraska" for firing him? Does he even care anymore? I doubt it. Why should we?

Yeah, I agree most parties that were involved the situation have moved on. I was speaking more to the incredibly nasty vitriol I see and hear directed towards him. It seems most fans should not be bitter towards the man or his tenure now that we are, by most accounts, stabilized as a program.

You must have forgotten the part when are nation leading bowl streak came to an end.

So he screwed up a number that increased by one yearly - so what? That's all it was. A number.

As for Bill Callahan... what's to forgive? He did his own damage to himself. There's no forgiving that needs to happen, we just needed to part ways.

Sure, some of the fans are over-the-top in their hatred for the guy... but even considering that he was put in an awkward position, he just never fit into the culture here, and he never tried.

Does Bill Callahan forgive "Nebraska" for firing him? Does he even care anymore? I doubt it. Why should we?

Why should we? I don't have a clue. But do we? Collectively, oh yes. Not that it makes any sense.

Slight tangent: Those Bill Callahan checks-in segments on 1620 the zone's unsportsmanlike conduct show were comedic gold. A lot of them are on youtube and I highly recommend checking them out. Somebody (my suspicions are that it was Matt Schick) would call in impersonating BC's voice with a slight exaggeration to make it hilarious. Its hilarity is on par with the FauxPelini persona. The impersonator has the voice mannerisms down to a T and acts excessively crass for comedic effect (like fauxpelini).

There isnt a single one of us that can say after the win against Michigan in the Alamo Bowl in 2005 that didnt think Callahan had the program headed in the right direction and that he could get it done. Winning cures all, and he stopped winning. And let's not put all the blame on his defenses. Cosgroves defense had some pretty solid performances in his time here as well. remember 7-6? Cosgroves team carried the team on numerous occasions in '04-'06 until the offense was able to get clicking. It just seemed like they could never put it together on the same day in a big game. It hasnt necessarily been said, but it drives me nuts when people act like they knew all along Callahan was gonna fail, because going into 2007, I would put money on 90% of the fanbase being optimistic.

I wouldnt say I forgive Callahan. I just dont recognize it. He's not here anymore. He had his time. He had his chance. He failed. Hell, according to some, Bo's failing too, and he was 2nd coming of Jesus in this state exactly 5 years ago. Winning cures all. I dont have anything personally against Bill Callahan, and I sure as hell never went down the road of not caring if we won/lost or hoped we lost in order to get Bill fired. That's absurd and is NOT the trait of a true fan. You alway stand behind your team no matter what. And for god's sake, how could you not put 100% faith in Osborne to make the right decision regardless how the season was finished out?

Forgive Clownahan???

Are you f*cking insane? If given the opportunity I would stop his guts out...

That man took a storied program, steeped in tradition and legend, that was built over decades, through hard work and perseverance, and managed to piss it away in less than 5 years and you want to forgive that? That would be like forgiving a guy for banging your wife while you were married.

How many records did that douchebag completely obliterate during his time at the helm of our program? He changed the offense to fit his ginormous ego which set our program back years.

I was trying to get tickets to gets games so I could throw batteries at that sonofabitch.

• Fire 1

I wont blame Callahan for ruining the program, or ending streaks and records that were important to us. I will blame that stuff on Pedersen. He's the one that hired Bill. He's the one with a history at Nebraska and knew full well how important football was to the people of the state on an emotional level. He knew, and went another direction anyway-for whatever reason-that was going to take additional years of building. All Callahan did was come in here and try to rebuild a program the best way he thought he knew how. Bill Callahan was and is a coach in the NFL. You dont get to that point by ruining programs for the sake of your own ego and protection of your own system. Bill wanted to win as much as anything else. I dont have any hatred to Callahan. That's all been put on Pedersen, only because like I said, he's been here. He knows how it is, and went against the grain anyway.

I dont hold a grudge, so there is no reason to forgive. He did his best and failed, its unfortunate. I agree fans need to get over it.

He was correct in firing Solich

This is, and more than likely, always will be, open to debate.

+1

+2. I agree that this is where the real debate is. I'm on the other side of the fence in that I thought it was a mistake to fire Solich. He had made changes and was in the process of making more. IMO Pedey made the job undesirable by firing a winning coach and threw away our identity. We had to start over from scratch when all that was needed was some tweaking. That killed our momentum as a program. I thought it was very unfortunate that the new staff never got to prove itself on the recruiting trail and for more than 1 season. That's the number 1 thing which would of helped Solich. They were also moving towards some changes to be more multiple on offense and defensively, I think Bo is a good head coach but I think makes a better DC and I think it would of been a pretty good combination.

Just my opinion.

Back to the subject on hand. Bill was just not a good fit for college or for our culture. Letting him go was the right thing.

Look. The firing of Solich is always going to be up for debate. It may have left a blackeye on the program in terms of national perception, but as Husker fans, many of us have our sources and such. Most of us know in our heart that the firing of Solich was about more than wins and losses. We know deep down the on-field performance was more the excuse than the reason.

Forgive Clownahan???

Are you f*cking insane? If given the opportunity I would stop his guts out...

That man took a storied program, steeped in tradition and legend, that was built over decades, through hard work and perseverance, and managed to piss it away in less than 5 years and you want to forgive that? That would be like forgiving a guy for banging your wife while you were married.

How many records did that douchebag completely obliterate during his time at the helm of our program? He changed the offense to fit his ginormous ego which set our program back years.

I was trying to get tickets to gets games so I could throw batteries at that sonofabitch.

:yeah

In case anyone is not sure, my answer is NO !!!!!!

GBR!!!

Look. The firing of Solich is always going to be up for debate. It may have left a blackeye on the program in terms of national perception, but as Husker fans, many of us have our sources and such. Most of us know in our heart that the firing of Solich was about more than wins and losses. We know deep down the on-field performance was more the excuse than the reason.

He was a BAD recruiter. Callahan started with a completely empty cupboard and had it stocked full by his last season with talent and potential. He was too loyal to his staff....sound familiar?