Skeptic/Believer

After reading some of the comments herein, for those of you who think Bo is going to be fired this coming year or in the near future if he "only" wins 9 games +, you're off your rockers. He would have to have more like a 6 or 7 win season before the powers would make a move and more likely he would leave on his own if the fans started getting organized and forced a decision. I know he is not a well loved person (within the big donor circles) but if he gets 9 wins this year and next and the next and so on, he will have to leave on his own before he is thrown out. IMO

Even if we get taken to the shower Jerry Sandusky style like last season against Wisky and tOSU? That shows me that we are not improving. It also shows systematic issues in the program. No one wants us to get abused like we have in some of our defeats but those two drubbings last season were Callahan style

Let's just say that with the spotlight that was upon us during the firing of Solich, it will take more than us only having 9 win seasons to push him over the edge. I hope he corrects the problems we have seen over the past few years and I think he could. If he has 9+ wins it will most likely be good enough to keep his position "Unless” and I say this with caution; “unless he goes ballistic on the sidelines and embarrasses the University with his antics to a point that the boosters use that as their reasoning to fire him”! I know the majority of alum who are big donors had a HUGE problem with his sideline behavior 2 years ago and were annoyed last year a few times but reeled in their emotion because they seen his effort in controlling himself better. However, if he reverts back to pre-B1G sideline behavior, then and only then do I think a nine win season wouldn’t be good enough to retain his position.

Now; should that occur, where do we lure our next coach from and what will they think of us terminating another 9 win coach? Would the sideline antics that caused Bo’s demise be something that a new potential coach would see as justified reaction by the admin? :dunno

We would have a ton of trouble finding a quality coach if this happens, Nebraska is one of the best jobs in the country to have, but it wont stay that way if coach's dont feel like they have much job security, even if they are winning 9+ games a year

I agree, the losses are not that big of deal to me. I do not expect MNC teams or even CC teams. I just do not expect to see the Wisconsin, Ohio State games anymore. It can happen, but if it does again this year, and he really has no answer in game or after game, most will feel he is in over his head. I am hoping these young defensive studs actually show up. This program needs them to. None of us want to see us start over again. He needs to figure it all out this year. Win the ones we are supposed to, be competitive in the ones that are questionable. Losing a hard fought game to Ohio State would be a major improvement. Winning 9 games really means nothing if we are not improving as a team. As I have stated many times, I would have rather had the season Wisconsin had last year, yea the 5 losses, but improvement was obvious. If we lose to UCLA and don't give up 500 yards and the score is close to last year. I can deal with that. Michigan a loss is expected, keep it close no complaints. I think he was lucky last year to end up with the ten wins. We got the right calls when needed. Very easily could have been a 7-6 season last year. Sorry I can not make new paragraphs on this site for some reason,.

After reading some of the comments herein, for those of you who think Bo is going to be fired this coming year or in the near future if he "only" wins 9 games +, you're off your rockers. He would have to have more like a 6 or 7 win season before the powers would make a move and more likely he would leave on his own if the fans started getting organized and forced a decision. I know he is not a well loved person (within the big donor circles) but if he gets 9 wins this year and next and the next and so on, he will have to leave on his own before he is thrown out. IMO

Even if we get taken to the shower Jerry Sandusky style like last season against Wisky and tOSU? That shows me that we are not improving. It also shows systematic issues in the program. No one wants us to get abused like we have in some of our defeats but those two drubbings last season were Callahan style

Let's just say that with the spotlight that was upon us during the firing of Solich, it will take more than us only having 9 win seasons to push him over the edge. I hope he corrects the problems we have seen over the past few years and I think he could. If he has 9+ wins it will most likely be good enough to keep his position "Unless” and I say this with caution; “unless he goes ballistic on the sidelines and embarrasses the University with his antics to a point that the boosters use that as their reasoning to fire him”! I know the majority of alum who are big donors had a HUGE problem with his sideline behavior 2 years ago and were annoyed last year a few times but reeled in their emotion because they seen his effort in controlling himself better. However, if he reverts back to pre-B1G sideline behavior, then and only then do I think a nine win season wouldn’t be good enough to retain his position.

Now; should that occur, where do we lure our next coach from and what will they think of us terminating another 9 win coach? Would the sideline antics that caused Bo’s demise be something that a new potential coach would see as justified reaction by the admin? :dunno

We would have a ton of trouble finding a quality coach if this happens, Nebraska is one of the best jobs in the country to have, but it wont stay that way if coach's dont feel like they have much job security, even if they are winning 9+ games a year

Any coach that is worth a lick would still be interested in NU. 3+ mil and a 5 year contract will snag a coach. With as weak as the B1G is any coach can win his fair share of games. One thing I refuse to believe is that if you feel your current coach isn't getting it done you don't use an excuse of "no one better will want to come" we don't know that and we cannot let that be a reason for holding off. Either he gets it or he doesn't. Plenty of coaches will come calling for a fat check. We have the money if it needs to be spent

I am one of Bo's biggest critics no question. But I really do not want to start over. We have been playing the catch up game for ten years now. He needs to get it, the program and the fans need him to succeed. I really do not know if he will or not. But this year is a very important year for this program and Bo as I see it.

I saw the Monkees play about 5 years ago. Age has not been kind trust me. They were all busting at the seams. It was more pathetic than funny. Some just never learn it is time to move on. These guys have not. Now the Rolling Stones on the other hand still look a lot like they did near 50 years ago. I think I am dating myself here!!! I saw them play at the civic auditorium many many many years ago!!!! Sorry for the HiJack.

I saw the Monkees play about 5 years ago. Age has not been kind trust me. They were all busting at the seams. It was more pathetic than funny. Some just never learn it is time to move on. These guys have not. Now the Rolling Stones on the other hand still look a lot like they did near 50 years ago. I think I am dating myself here!!! I saw them play at the civic auditorium many many many years ago!!!! Sorry for the HiJack.

I bet you watched all the Monkey's TV shows, too, didn't you? :P

You do realize our defense will be loaded with newcomers, right? Not sayin they arent more talented and/or athletic than 2012's group, but there could be some growing pains. Yes, 9-4 will be a failure, but frankly, when is 9-4 at Nebraska NOT a failure? 11-2 in 1996 was even a failure.

I am very curious about this year's defense and the supposed athleticism we are hearing about. We'll have to see come september. We're not gonna see enough to know anything of real substance at the spring game.

And in answering the question.

2 years ago I was a solid believer. But after the last couple season some rifts have become clearly obvious to push me to that middle ground. Doesnt mean the issues wont be fixed though.

And here we have the great divide between Bolievers and the opposition: whose fault is that? The young, inexperienced defense this year is largely a reflection of poor roster management and awful recruiting a few years ago. I understand there are naturally going to be up and down years, and we still have a lot of talent on defense, but there's going to be way too many growing pains this year for what there should be in a coach's 6th year.

You completely missed the point.

Then what exactly is the point of you saying "we're loaded with newcomers" in response to Headly saying "there aren't any excuses"? Sure sounds like an excuse to me. One that Bo is responsible for creating.

Recruiting for the B12 vs B1G seems to me to be quite different. The O needed help and it seems to me Bo spent more time with the O, and the O has only gotten better. The D has suffered, but Carl had one yr. (which I think Bo trusted him in handling the D,I think he failed) The Rookie Pap takes over D and it wasn't bad, it just didn't have enough speed. Now Bo is spending the majority of his time with the D, and I don't think he forgot how to coach D. He came to Nebraska the first time and coached that teams D to a high level (first yr in the system for those boys). With his attention to the D this yr, with the talent and speed on that side of the ball (yes very young and without experience) that makes up for a bevy of mistakes. (example David's first yr. I'm not proclaiming any of the youngsters as the next David, but there are players on D that could step up to that level. GBR

You do realize our defense will be loaded with newcomers, right? Not sayin they arent more talented and/or athletic than 2012's group, but there could be some growing pains. Yes, 9-4 will be a failure, but frankly, when is 9-4 at Nebraska NOT a failure? 11-2 in 1996 was even a failure.

I am very curious about this year's defense and the supposed athleticism we are hearing about. We'll have to see come september. We're not gonna see enough to know anything of real substance at the spring game.

2 years ago I was a solid believer. But after the last couple season some rifts have become clearly obvious to push me to that middle ground. Doesnt mean the issues wont be fixed though.

And here we have the great divide between Bolievers and the opposition: whose fault is that? The young, inexperienced defense this year is largely a reflection of poor roster management and awful recruiting a few years ago. I understand there are naturally going to be up and down years, and we still have a lot of talent on defense, but there's going to be way too many growing pains this year for what there should be in a coach's 6th year.

Then what exactly is the point of you saying "we're loaded with newcomers" in response to Headly saying "there aren't any excuses"? Sure sounds like an excuse to me. One that Bo is responsible for creating.

Recruiting for the B12 vs B1G seems to me to be quite different. The O needed help and it seems to me Bo spent more time with the O, and the O has only gotten better. The D has suffered, but Carl had one yr. (which I think Bo trusted him in handling the D,I think he failed) The Rookie Pap takes over D and it wasn't bad, it just didn't have enough speed. Now Bo is spending the majority of his time with the D, and I don't think he forgot how to coach D. He came to Nebraska the first time and coached that teams D to a high level (first yr in the system for those boys). With his attention to the D this yr, with the talent and speed on that side of the ball (yes very young and without experience) that makes up for a bevy of mistakes. (example David's first yr. I'm not proclaiming any of the youngsters as the next David, but there are players on D that could step up to that level. GBR

not every team that lacks speed gets 63 and 70 hung on them, the defense was bad

I hope you realize Pap is not in charge of the defense...never has been never will be. Bo runs the D. So the entire new coordinator yada yada is another excuse. Bo runs the defense period. How did we lack speed on defense in the first place? You mentioning coming from the Big12 and recruiting for the Big12.

The same Big12 that is primarily a SPREAD offense conference that has speed all over the freaking field! If we had ANYTHING going for us it should have been speed when we joined the BIG. Problem is we didn't have speed and we were lucky as heck to go to the BIG when we did. It allowed us to cover up our lack of talent and speed on D. Imagine our defense the last couple years trying to slow the offenses of the Big12 down. Bo wouldn't have made it to this season.

B1G Champs or Bust in 2013.

A 4th year starting, dual threat QB who owns the schools total offense record

A JR running back who's on pace to break Rex's yardage and TD mark

A trio of WRs who are already considered to be the best in school history

It's time.

No excuses.

1 loss is acceptable.

2 losses would be disappointing.

3+ losses is unacceptable given the talent we have on offense and the potential we have on defense combined with the easier schedule.

• Fire 4

I am on the fence. Nine wins 5 years in a row, no sanctions and 3 CCG appearances is positive. The humiliating blowouts losses are disturbing. NU should never give up over 60 points or 600 yards of offense. I am not sure if Bo can fix the D or not. I hope so, but I am not convinced. I am also disturbed by the number of penalties, the turnovers and the poor special teams. I am really hoping to see a fast, attacking D this year along with an explosive offense with plenty of substitutions on O and D to build depth for the future.

B1G Champs or Bust in 2013.

A 4th year starting, dual threat QB who owns the schools total offense record

A JR running back who's on pace to break Rex's yardage and TD mark

A trio of WRs who are already considered to be the best in school history

It's time.

No excuses.

1 loss is acceptable.

2 losses would be disappointing.

3+ losses is unacceptable given the talent we have on offense and the potential we have on defense combined with the easier schedule.

+1 to all of that, but without a defense, I don't like our chances of beating teams in a shootout...