Let's talk about Wisconsin

I disagree with some who say the coaching change will impact them. If you think that, then you are assuming they hired the wrong coach. If they hired the right one however...they shouldn't miss a beat. Michigan hired the right coach, they won 10. A&M hired the right coach, they won 11 in their FIRST year in the SEC. Ohio State hired the right coach, they went undefeated. The program is not in decline. Wisconsin's been pretty consistent of late. I don't see any reason why the coaching change will impact that. They aren't going from the option to west coast, pro style to the spread. They'll still be a force in our division. One that no NU fan can truely say we've been better than.

I disagree with some who say the coaching change will impact them. If you think that, then you are assuming they hired the wrong coach. If they hired the right one however...they shouldn't miss a beat. Michigan hired the right coach, they won 10. A&M hired the right coach, they won 11 in their FIRST year in the SEC. Ohio State hired the right coach, they went undefeated. The program is not in decline. Wisconsin's been pretty consistent of late. I don't see any reason why the coaching change will impact that. They aren't going from the option to west coast, pro style to the spread. They'll still be a force in our division. One that no NU fan can truely say we've been better than.

No changes you say that could impact them? How about going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with an entire different philosophy in scheme, going to a more West Coast offense (yes, that is a fact), changes in the methods of practice, completely changing their weight room program (changed it to cardio focused than size/strength). Like I always say in these type of repetitive threads, if it works, they keep near the top. If it doesn't work, he will be ran off. Also changes in recruiting methods.

You have a point, but there is a difference. Michigan, Ohio State, Texas A&M....those schools all have every single piece in place for a coach to be successful. Wisconsin, on the other hand, has been successful BECAUSE of the coach, as in, much more dependent on the coach's ability, while the others are more equally dependent on good coaching combined with facilities, tradition, etc.

Like Landlord said its kind of a different scenario. Michigan, A&M and OSU are all stacked with talent and have easy access to more, Wisconsin isn't like that. I have no doubt we'll have a rough first year, maybe two.

Part of me wants to see Wisconsin struggle after that Big Ten Championship game I had to sit through. The other part wants to see the new guy be successful so incase the East/West Divisions do happen we are not stuck in the Big 12 North part deaux.

If the formula aint changing than I can't see a drop off.

Bielema isn't some amazing coach. He didn't stray too far from the Alvarez mentality.

He went 12-1 in his first year with Barry's guys. Beat R-Kansas in the bowl, lost in ann arbor(A place that Barry only won at once)

It's not like there is too much competition for Big Ten "greatness" anyway. Illinois, Iowa,PU and Minny don't seem to want to step up.

Bielema isn't some amazing coach. He didn't stray too far from the Alvarez mentality.

He went 12-1 in his first year with Barry's guys. Beat R-Kansas in the bowl, lost in ann arbor(A place that Barry only won at once)

It's not like there is too much competition for Big Ten "greatness" anyway. Illinois, Iowa,PU and Minny don't seem to want to step up.

Woody, that's what I think gets overlooked by many. Wisconsin has stayed relativity the same since Barry stopped coaching. Brett does get some credit for maintaining it and being successful though. There's a lot to be said on keeping continuity in what you do and they've been prosperous for it. For me I'm willing to take a wait and see approach with them.

Woody, that's what I think gets overlooked by many. Wisconsin has stayed relativity the same since Barry stopped coaching. Brett does get some credit for maintaining it and being successful though. There's a lot to be said on keeping continuity in what you do and they've been prosperous for it. For me I'm willing to take a wait and see approach with them.

I will definitely wait and see but I just think they've gotten to the ann arbor formula. A lot of programs do that and never change.

Same guys every year but with different names. Thats what happened under Bo, drunk Gary Moeller and Lloyd Carr before dicky changed the formula. Pro Style QB, 6-3 receivers, power tailback,etc. They never changed before 2008.

Wisky has found the formula and they will stick with it. Unless they are completely stupid. I respect Barry Alvarez too much to think he will be changing that serviceable qb, 5 trees, good TEs, good wrs, power tailback formula.

I will definitely wait and see but I just think they've gotten to the ann arbor formula. A lot of programs do that and never change.

Same guys every year but with different names. Thats what happened under Bo, drunk Gary Moeller and Lloyd Carr before dicky changed the formula. Pro Style QB, 6-3 receivers, power tailback,etc. They never changed before 2008.

Wisky has found the formula and they will stick with it. Unless they are completely stupid. I respect Barry Alvarez too much to think he will be changing that serviceable qb, 5 trees, good TEs, good wrs, power tailback formula.

I agree

So does that mean that Bo is the right coach for us since he won 9 games his first year?

Far more qualified, and going into a pretty stable situation. A AD that is actively involved with the program, and a pretty happy fan base.

Bo did not have the luxury Anderson is getting. Bo had/has a tough road to hoe. He gives it his all, but just not there to give. No experience at the HC level is a tough nut to crack. Given a major program, with all of us demanding fans is tough. I think he needs more time, I am on the two year mark. Two years after this year if he has not returned us to the old Nebraska, he is not going to. Is that good enough for most. I think if he gets where we are always competitive, keeps the program out of NCAA sanctions/inquires he has the job for ever. But if the blow outs continue, I do not think he will get three more years to do it. Wisconsin has the advantage now as I see it. I think Anderson will make it a quick transition. He knows college football, knows how to recruit and has dealt with young kids as a Head Coach. I do not expect them to fall much if at all.

Far more qualified, and going into a pretty stable situation. A AD that is actively involved with the program, and a pretty happy fan base.

Bo did not have the luxury Anderson is getting. Bo had/has a tough road to hoe. He gives it his all, but just not there to give. No experience at the HC level is a tough nut to crack. Given a major program, with all of us demanding fans is tough. I think he needs more time, I am on the two year mark. Two years after this year if he has not returned us to the old Nebraska, he is not going to. Is that good enough for most. I think if he gets where we are always competitive, keeps the program out of NCAA sanctions/inquires he has the job for ever. But if the blow outs continue, I do not think he will get three more years to do it. Wisconsin has the advantage now as I see it. I think Anderson will make it a quick transition. He knows college football, knows how to recruit and has dealt with young kids as a Head Coach. I do not expect them to fall much if at all.

Stable? 13 new assistant coaches over the last two years (before the new coaching staff). Big drop off in terms of losses from the previous two seasons. Very dangerous O Line depth chart (any injury would be big). No true second WR worth a damn. Switching players from the offense to defense to try and find defensive backs as they don't have any depth. Third new O Line coach in less than a year. A ton of the expected starters for this coming season are on their third position coach in the last three years. Third offensive coordinator in three seasons.

It may appear stable for the causual viewer, but those who understand football know being on your third offensive coordinator in three seasons is not stability.

• Fire 1