Ways that Nebraska Has Pioneered

As well as the athletic training and development, dont forget the psychological advances made in the early 90's. Pretty sure I'm not wrong in saying Nebraska and Osborne were the first to really take the psychological state of mind of a team seriously. The hiring of a team pshychologist and the induction of a "unity" council. Pretty sure that was something that was never done. Now everyone has unity and "leadership" councils. Everyone keeps close tabs on the psychological mindset of their team.

That's true. 90% of the game is half mental.

true, but of that mental 45%, 100% of it is mental.

Oh no I've gone cross-eyed.

As well as the athletic training and development, dont forget the psychological advances made in the early 90's. Pretty sure I'm not wrong in saying Nebraska and Osborne were the first to really take the psychological state of mind of a team seriously. The hiring of a team pshychologist and the induction of a "unity" council. Pretty sure that was something that was never done. Now everyone has unity and "leadership" councils. Everyone keeps close tabs on the psychological mindset of their team.

That's true. 90% of the game is half mental.

true, but of that mental 45%, 100% of it is mental.

Oh no I've gone cross-eyed.

Divide by zero anyone?

First major program with a some of our famous trick plays. Fumblerooskie and Bounce Pass, to name two.

First team to win 100+ games and three national championships in one decade. (I'm guessing on that one--but I think we were first.)

First major program with a some of our famous trick plays. Fumblerooskie and Bounce Pass, to name two.

First team to win 100+ games and three national championships in one decade. (I'm guessing on that one--but I think we were first.)

depends on how far back you want to go....lol. If you go back to the 1870s Yale dominated college football winning four national championships (that's if they can claim it....no clue if they do or not).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

This article goes over some of the information.... http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5312405

The thing is, there is no longer an edge in weight training anymore as all major programs across the country do the same lifts. The school that pioneers the next big thing will be the team that gets the competitive edge. I hope what Nebraska is building right now will be the next big thing.

This is a more lengthy but interesting article on the subject. http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/IGH/IGH1103/IGH1103b.pdf

This part goes along with what a lot of people have posted about the bench press.

The Huskers, however, preferred to run over and through the opponent. The strength program, with its emphasis on explosiveness and sheer strength, is an emblem of rationalization. The original record board included the bench press and did not include the 10-yard dash. Testing of the bench press was dropped because Boyd felt it was not a useful measure of football talent; the ten-yard dash was added because short, explosive bursts of speed are essential on the gridiron

Off the top of my head:

-- First school to install field turf for football

-- First school to have instant replay video boards for football

-- One of the first schools to employ a Sports Nutrition staff (last I heard we are one of only 5 schools with multiple people on staff)

-- Soon to be first school to have a dedicated research facility studying concussions and athletic performance

We installed field turf in 1999, correct? Werent' we also the first school to use astro-turf before then? When did that start?

Correct on field turf. No on astroturf though. I had to look it up and this is what I found on astroturf. According to that link, Indiana State was the first college to install astroturf.

They must have gotten the beta model that wasn't quite up to snuff. It's held them back all these years...

Does anyone know if the stuff like the ipads in the lockers had been done by anyone else before? Or the indoor practice facility?

I think the Hendricks Complex deserves mention here as far as pioneering - who else in the country can match it?

I have not seen any videos of other major programs putting iPads in their locker room like Nebraska has. I'm going to ask around on the forums to see if any program has. I know that recruits like it....even landed a recruit because of them, but I can't remember who it was.