SVP and Russillo

I think the team has been more delusional then the fans. http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/73898/huskers-still-look-to-clear-last-hurdle

Some players, including quarterback Taylor Martinez, talked last spring about their aims to play for the national title. Such talk has been conspicuously absent this year.

I remember this being discussed on HB but nobody took it seriously and believed it to be a possibility.

Bennet and Rittenberg commented on this in a few of their articles so maybe these other ESPN characters are putting those words into fan's mouth.

I actually agree with everything he is saying except for the part about being delusional. Have we done anything recently? no. Have we embarrassed ourselves when it counts? yes. Nobody understands the under acheivements around here more than nebraska fans. Nobody (pun intended =) ).

Does that mean that we are delusional to want more? he said it himself.. "three titles in four years not even twenty years ago." I dont understand the logic here. He makes it seem like once you start under impressing you are supposed to own it and not want to be better. We havent done sh#t, ill be the first to sing it from a mountain.. but that doesnt change the fact that we are nebraska and what we have done. Who would throw history out the window as a fan and accept mediocrity? who the f#*k would do that?

pick a school who hasnt done anything and wants titles, not a school who is a top tier program in terms of success history & who wants titles. How about boise state or a&m and their fictional conference titles? If thats not delusional then i dont know what is.

When I think of Nebraska fan's delusion it's not delusion in the sense of we think that we field a better product on the field than reality shows us. If anything that's the opposite - everyone, especially on messageboards, is quick to believe our team is far more awful than they actually are. Remember the absurd and unfounded predictions of how we'd get scorched by five touchdowns by halftime against Georgia?

I think of our delusion as one of a delusion of grandeur; collectively, we tend to think we are far more important (read, not talented or superior performers) in the scheme of college football than reality shows us.

This has been proven in this thread, really.

"ESPN hates us". No. ESPN doesn't really care about us; they care about themselves.

"Kirk Herbstreit hates us." I mean, if anything, he's fond of us, but generally he's probably not that worked up in thought over us period.

"People are butthurt because we won their competition or we beat them" Usually, they either aren't butthurt at all, or if they are, part of it is because we're insufferable.

Thankfully, there are plenty who disprove this theory; especially on Huskerboard, but there's plenty of legitimate reasons why so many other programs can't stand Nebraska or it's fans, and believe it or not, it's not entirely jealousy.

ill even go as far to say that bo is somewhat to blame for yappin that "nebraska is back" after the holiday bowl. kinda askin for it with sh#t like that and then u get 70 hung on you before you have achance to actually make that statement reality.

I still make a raydisgusted.png face when i think about bo saying that. I know that it was a knee jerk reaction to the hustle and bustle of that game but now we have do deal with stuff like this.

First off, who cares what someone on some TV/radio station said about Husker fans. They can say we're the best or the worst, doesn't matter. I'm still going to tailgate on Saturday and raise hell come game time. I couldn't care less if someone thinks that makes me the best or worst fan.

But this conversation is funny on another level. It provides such great opportunities for people to show how great a fan they are.

There's the group that says "______ has it in for us" and believes it.

There's the group that says they're the best because they were born in Nebraska (or to Nebraska-loving parent/s)

Then there's the group that's the best fan because they're cool enough to rise above the fray and look down on all the other fans for being... fans.

Doesn't matter how you slice it. You're either a great fan because "Go Huskers!" or you're a great fan because you're better than those great fans.

When I think of Nebraska fan's delusion it's not delusion in the sense of we think that we field a better product on the field than reality shows us. If anything that's the opposite - everyone, especially on messageboards, is quick to believe our team is far more awful than they actually are. Remember the absurd and unfounded predictions of how we'd get scorched by five touchdowns by halftime against Georgia?

I think of our delusion as one of a delusion of grandeur; collectively, we tend to think we are far more important (read, not talented or superior performers) in the scheme of college football than reality shows us.

This has been proven in this thread, really.

"ESPN hates us". No. ESPN doesn't really care about us; they care about themselves.

"Kirk Herbstreit hates us." I mean, if anything, he's fond of us, but generally he's probably not that worked up in thought over us period.

"People are butthurt because we won their competition or we beat them" Usually, they either aren't butthurt at all, or if they are, part of it is because we're insufferable.

Thankfully, there are plenty who disprove this theory; especially on Huskerboard, but there's plenty of legitimate reasons why so many other programs can't stand Nebraska or it's fans, and believe it or not, it's not entirely jealousy.

I totally agree with this. The attitude that ESPN is against anyone or has any agenda is laughable.

SVP and Russillo are usually very good at giving honest opinions and pretty sound in their opinions. I tend to agree with them a lot. But, it's like he's trying to blame the fans for nebraska being ranked when he doesn't think they deserve it. Basically, it sounds like he has more of a problem with the "Brand" of Nebraska and coaches/sports writers over valuing the program. I just think it's misplaced to put it on the fans and call them delusional. Very similar to Duke in regards to basketball. Whether they are truly good or not, they get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to seeding and ranking. I honestly have no problem with it either. You earn your place over the course of time not as a flash in the pan (see Texas Tech, Missouri, etc)

Delusional? Not really, I don't think most Nebraska fans think their football team is better than it has shown over the past decade. I think many fans are mad about where Nebraska is at in the football world and want it to get better.

ESPN is delusional for constantly proping up Florida St., Clemson and The U even though they constantly have underachieved for the past several years. Last year was FSU's best year in how long and they still can't manage to beat a terrible NC St. team.

I think that as a whole ESPN does not have a problem with Nebraska, I don't think they understand Nebraska or its fans, nor do they wish to understand. All they care about is making money and the places with the most butts in front of the TV will win everytime. This is why they don't understand Nebraska. Even though it is a small state population wise they still have a very strong national following and tend to have highly rated games so they always show them. They can't seem to put 2 and 2 together.

I think some of their announcers are not huge Nebraska fans though and that is fine as long as they are professional about it. Robert Smith is very unprofessional most of the time when talk of Nebraska comes up. I used to really like Chris Spielmans color, but after he went off about what he percieved as a bad call in the PSU game and wouldn't let it go I am no longer so much a fan. Herbstriet, Meh, Pelini probably gave him a wedgey and a swirley all in the same day for being a pu&&y QB or something.