Nebraska HS players

... or perhaps not:

CJ said he’s “always going to be a Nebraska fan.”

“It would have been nice to go there,” he said, “but I wish them luck.”
If CJ duplicates his junior year, and bigger schools suddenly become more interested, Clester said he’ll advise his son to remain committed to Wyoming.
“It’s flattering that you jumped on late,” Clester said, “but once you make a commitment — and you can visualize yourself there — stick to it.”

Link

They say that now to stick with the commitment. But if Nebraska did come calling after a big sr year he would commit to us. This isn't the same as Harrison Phillips situation. Phillips was committed to play for Stanford not Wyoming, big difference

It's sad recruiting has sped up so much that kids like this consider an offer during their senior season season as late. He could grow 2-3 inches in the next 8 months before signing day and be a hot commodity. Wisconsin and K State also passed on him, so I'm comfortable the coaches didn't miss on him. He could also be 6' 4" in two years you just never know. Kids mature at a different rate and it's hard to hold a grudge against coach or school because they didn't offer you when you were a junior. Remember that's how we've gotten some of our best talent. Look at the roster and a lot of the guys playing were late

offers.

A year ago, I asked Nebraska recruiting coordinator Ross Els if coaches view in-state kids any differently than the out-of-state kids when evaluating.

Here's guessing Els' answer wouldn't be any different today than the one he gave then when he said: "If they're equal, we're taking the in-state kid first. Plus, remember, you're talking to a guy who played high school ball in this state. So I understand exactly what the people around the state of Nebraska feel. I also understand that from a recruit's standpoint where that disappointment comes in where you don't receive a scholarship. And certainly I wasn't going to receive a scholarship. I wasn't that type of player. But in the back of your head, you're going, 'Gosh, I wish Nebraska would have (offered).' So I understand what's going on there.

But if it's even, we're going to take the Nebraska kid. But we're also not going to sacrifice the caliber of ball that we play just to take a kid because he fits into a certain category."

LJS

A year ago, I asked Nebraska recruiting coordinator Ross Els if coaches view in-state kids any differently than the out-of-state kids when evaluating.

Here's guessing Els' answer wouldn't be any different today than the one he gave then when he said: "If they're equal, we're taking the in-state kid first. Plus, remember, you're talking to a guy who played high school ball in this state. So I understand exactly what the people around the state of Nebraska feel. I also understand that from a recruit's standpoint where that disappointment comes in where you don't receive a scholarship. And certainly I wasn't going to receive a scholarship. I wasn't that type of player. But in the back of your head, you're going, 'Gosh, I wish Nebraska would have (offered).' So I understand what's going on there.

But if it's even, we're going to take the Nebraska kid. But we're also not going to sacrifice the caliber of ball that we play just to take a kid because he fits into a certain category."

LJS

Because we were doing so well with these more talented recruits the first few years, :sarcasm: had we taken some of these lesser in state players and developed them I bet it would have turned out better for the classes prior to 2012. Just my speculation.

Really wish Nebraska would have offered C.J. Johnson. What the staff may have perceived as shortcoming athletically ( though I disagree) C.J. clearly has a natural instinct and vision. You could see the guy had a nose for where to be and when to be there, also had the ability to adjust to the ball very well. If he puts on a bit more size, and grows a bit taller even, this will be one I think we will have wanted back. Just my opinion.

Really wish Nebraska would have offered C.J. Johnson. What the staff may have perceived as shortcoming athletically ( though I disagree) C.J. clearly has a natural instinct and vision. You could see the guy had a nose for where to be and when to be there, also had the ability to adjust to the ball very well. If he puts on a bit more size, and grows a bit taller even, this will be one I think we will have wanted back. Just my opinion.

Its july... still plenty of time.

If you are referring to Nebraska eventually making an offer, his father told him to honor his commitment to Wyoming if such offer arises.

If you are referring to Nebraska eventually making an offer, his father told him to honor his commitment to Wyoming if such offer arises.

Ya we'll see if that holds if he actually does get the offer.
  • 2 weeks later...