Golf Club Recommendations?

I'm anywhere from a 5-12 handicap.

Depending on how much money is on the line? :sarcasm

I would definitely go for the hybrids. I held out for quite awhile and now I wouldn't be without them.

I've never actually gambled on golf. Frustrating enough as is don't need to add losing money to that. Thinking the next iron set I get will have hybrids. I don't hit a ton of long irons but having those will help me when I actually have to.

A lot of people who have speed issues when putting can benefit from a couple things i do. I consider putting a strong part of my game. First thing about longer putts coming up well short. I walk the putt. Meaning walk a line fairly close to the actual line ill putt the ball. By walking a similar line I can get a feel of the contour of the green. On my way back to the ball, ill stop about half way and see what my line would be if the putt was from there. Usually on longer putts you'll power through any slight slope over the first half of the putt so ill pick a spot halfway that I want my ball to be on the 2nd half of the putt. Also remember that the direction of the grain affects the speed of your putts. Rule of thumb is the grain will run towards the sun. Also remember that a 2 ft putt past the whole at least has a chance to go in. The 2 ft putt short misses 100 percent of the time. And I'll be damned if both putts arent the same distance from the hole. Another thing to pay attention to if your putts are always coming up short. Does the ball hop on you a lot. This is caused by not squaring the ball at impact. If it jumps right off the putter then you are closing down the face angle/hitting down on the ball.

A really good but tough drill I learned for speed/distance putting is to take a bag of balls on the practice green, hit the first one a few feet out and then each consecutive ball you have to hit no more than a foot farther. You aren't hitting at a hole or anything, just working on the same line and distance control. You eventually work your way out to some pretty long putts and can gain feel of speed/distance pretty quickly. Since you don't want to miss short during a round, getting this distance control allows you enough speed to bury the putt and if you miss, easy tap in.

Every time I play a new course, during warm up, I do a scaled down version of this (depending on how many real rounds or range rounds I have in the bag already that season) to get a handle on speed and how my normal feel for distance is affected.

• 4 months later...

Bringing this one back. Recently I have been cleared from shoulder surgery to resume some golf activities and I am on the looks for a new set of irons. I'm currently playing Taylormade Burner +'s that I like but don't love. Just have never really got a good feel for them. What I'm looking for is some sort of iron/hybrid combo set. I know Adams makes great hybrids but not real sure about the irons they make.

I'm usually in the high 70's low 80's if that helps with what kind of irons I should be playing.

Bringing this one back. Recently I have been cleared from shoulder surgery to resume some golf activities and I am on the looks for a new set of irons. I'm currently playing Taylormade Burner +'s that I like but don't love. Just have never really got a good feel for them. What I'm looking for is some sort of iron/hybrid combo set. I know Adams makes great hybrids but not real sure about the irons they make.

I'm usually in the high 70's low 80's if that helps with what kind of irons I should be playing.

It all depends on you. I hit around the same handicap as you and I play the cleveland CG16 Tour black pearls. I can tell right away when I miss hit them because I can feel it in the club. I would personally suggest them to anyone because I really like them but they might not be for everyone. The CG16 set I have are all irons but they might have hybrids for them.

First, Adams is now owned by the Taylormade-Adidas Golf umbrella. Second, Adams makes the best hybrids in the business. Lastly, their irons are great quality, too.

The newest Adams combo set is the Idea. They don't look bad. The irons would be considered "game-improvement," and will be similar in look and feel to your Burners. If you don't need new, I think the older A7 combo set would be worth looking into. The A7 hybrid line is one of the best ever produced, and they have an iron/hybrid combo set. Just taking a quick glance on eBay, they can be had for cheap! The A7 will be a little slimmer and better feel, while the A7OS will be a little easier to launch and similar to your Burners.

It all depends on you. I hit around the same handicap as you and I play the cleveland CG16 Tour black pearls. I can tell right away when I miss hit them because I can feel it in the club. I would personally suggest them to anyone because I really like them but they might not be for everyone. The CG16 set I have are all irons but they might have hybrids for them.

Have these same clubs. Really like them a lot as well.

Have these same clubs. Really like them a lot as well.

Sounds like I might have to check out the cg16's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

QMany, or other golfers: Do you lag putt from > 30' the same as you would for a shorter, makable putt, say from 8'? That is, do you use the same alignment and technique from 30' as you would from 8'? What clubs do you use in various situations around the green, say 10 yards off the green and in?

QMany, or other golfers: Do you lag putt from > 30' the same as you would for a shorter, makable putt, say from 8'? That is, do you use the same alignment and technique from 30' as you would from 8'? What clubs do you use in various situations around the green, say 10 yards off the green and in?

My lag putt setup and routine is the exact same. Off the greens, I'm mostly using my 60* wedge. If I have more room and feel like a lower running chip is the better option, I'll use my 54* wedge or 48* PW.