Did Frazier do enough?

Ability-wise both young back coming in could play....but can they pick up the playbook????????

Bo and staff have shown and made it very clear: You don't know the playbook you will not play much at all.

We've had multiple true freshmen RBs play over the last few years. I don't think it will be a lot different this year.

I'd like to see them redshirt Taylor and Newby. Frazier is perfectly capable of being the #3 running back. It's not like we use the #3 back enough that it requires us to have some freak in that spot. Someone serviceable like Frazier is sufficient. If Abdullah gets injured significantly, that's another matter.

That being said, I doubt we redshirt either freshmen, just going off past experience.

I am wondering about the value of redshirting. The player gets a year to learn the system and gain strength and speed, but the trade-off is loss of scholarships. If everyone redshirted, you could only offer 17 scholarships per year instead of 21 or 22.

I have said this for a while now. With the current scholarship limits, redshirting really hurts a program unless the kid really comes out of his RS year a stud. Much has been said about the SEC schools being able to run many more kids through the program because they cut kids if they don't perform. Well, that is just compounded if you compare a school like Alabama or LSU to a school that doesn't cut kids and redshirts a lot of them.

I'd like to see them redshirt Taylor and Newby. Frazier is perfectly capable of being the #3 running back. It's not like we use the #3 back enough that it requires us to have some freak in that spot. Someone serviceable like Frazier is sufficient. If Abdullah gets injured significantly, that's another matter.

That being said, I doubt we redshirt either freshmen, just going off past experience.

I am wondering about the value of redshirting. The player gets a year to learn the system and gain strength and speed, but the trade-off is loss of scholarships. If everyone redshirted, you could only offer 17 scholarships per year instead of 21 or 22.

You learn some in fall camp/spring football but through the year you are really on scout team learning the opponent's stuff. You don't really work on your team's stuff that often.

I have said this for a while now. With the current scholarship limits, redshirting really hurts a program unless the kid really comes out of his RS year a stud. Much has been said about the SEC schools being able to run many more kids through the program because they cut kids if they don't perform. Well, that is just compounded if you compare a school like Alabama or LSU to a school that doesn't cut kids and redshirts a lot of them.

I still think redshirting lineman - particularly OLinemen - is a pretty good idea. But I'm now convinced that most others can probably play if they're as good as you hope they are.

A lot of you are under-estimating AT's football IQ. I'm gonna tell you right now, he will play and he will play a ton.

This is what I think also as well as hope. I also think TNewb will get a look as a returner along with some snaps at RB. These two are already gonna make it hard to attract an elite RB for next years class, now try and convince someone to commit here knowing those two will only be redshirt frosh. Gotta play em for that reason but most importantly because I think behind Ameer, they are your next best RBs. And that I believe is only temporary. As much as I love Ameer, I love ATs film and believe he is as elite as there is. I think both freshman will be great.

Getting the play book isn't as important to me for RBs as other positions. The important thing for me is blitz pickup. And I know that has to do with the playbook to a degree but give them the ball and let nature do its thing. I'm pretty sure they used to hand Barry sanders the ball and let him do his thing.

Touched on this before in another thread and like I said many people wouldn't like it but Newby is probably going to be the most talented RB we have seen in a long, long time. It will come down to how him and AT pick up the pace, blocking, and playbook. Ameer is an above average all conference RB. Those two guys have all american potential. They both work their tails off, and I still think ameer is in serious trouble if he stays his senior year (which he should but if those two guys develop and get PT... cant say how often he would get the ball)

I might take some heat for this, but Imani really doesnt look that great to me. I think he should stay a 3rd down bruiser.

I think that's accurate. Based strictly on what I saw during games (and not knowing at all what happened during practice) it looked like Heard was the better back.

I expect Taylor and/or Newby to contribute.

Bo and staff have shown and made it very clear: You don't know the playbook you will not play much at all.

I wonder if this factored into Heard's lack of carries?

I think Heard not being able to pick up a blitz was the issue, pass pro. Running and playbook not so much.

I also believe his academics was an issue on why he didn't see much playing time. This is why we probably haven't heard about him transferring to a bigger school, or matter of fact, where he is transferring to at all.

A lot of you are under-estimating AT's football IQ. I'm gonna tell you right now, he will play and he will play a ton.

Ez-E, why do you place AT before Newby? I'm not saying I disagree - just wondering about your perspective - what you see. We were having this same conversation when Green, Heard, and AA came into the fold. Only AA remains. I remember some predicted that AA would be the best back - I wasn't so sure. With today's egos (kids wanting to be THE BACK), I wonder if both AT and Newby stay long term - if they both can get meaningful time. or if one pulls a Green and leaves.

If our discussion holds true, then Frazier will be the odd man out. AA, AT, Newby, Cross getting the snaps. Can't see us having a 5 back rotation.

I would like to see two running back sets on the field a lot. We've always thought we would see it quite a bit the last few seasons but it never really happened. Ameer will most likely be the guy but let's hope the RBs stay healthy and we see a nice rotaiton this year. Frazier ran really hard and I think he should have a shot to get a couple carries a game. Hard to say if Cross will ever be an every down type back but he'll be solid as a short yardage guy again or the guy you give ten straight carries to with 5 minutes left in the game to finish.