Turnover Battle

Turnovers have pledged the Huskers throughout the Pelini Era. I read an article that evaluates (and illustrates) the turnover rate at Nebraska since 1988, with particular attention to last year. Here is the link: http://dataomaha.com...-slippery-slope

The obvious question is, first, how does Bo turn this trend around? Is there something specific about the current offensive scheme that facilitates turnovers? Also, no one wants turnovers and I know it is controversial to ask, but how much is it hurting their ability to win games (they have been at 9-4, 10-4 records from 2008-2012, the same time the turnover margin has gone from +5 to -12)? Maybe a better way of asking this question is, how much better would you except the Husker record to be if they could get their turnover margin to be positive, or at least even?

OW8600127.JPG

First, I don't think any football fan anywhere would say that turnovers are a good thing. (Well, duh NUance). But turnovers are only one of a number of factors. Look at Osborne's teams. His worst turnover margins came in '93 and '94--two teams which were great by any standard. And look at Solich's teams. The 2000 and '01 teams don't look particularly good, if you *only* look at turnover margin. But actually they were pretty good teams.

So what am I saying? Yes, turnovers are very important. Something we definitely need to improve in. Among about a dozen other things.

• Fire 3

OW8600127.JPG

First, I don't think any football fan anywhere would say that turnovers are a good thing. (Well, duh NUance). But turnovers are only one of a number of factors. Look at Osborne's teams. His worst turnover margins came in '93 and '94--two teams which were great by any standard. And look at Solich's teams. The 2000 and '01 teams don't look particularly good, if you *only* look at turnover margin. But actually they were pretty good teams.

So what am I saying? Yes, turnovers are very important. Something we definitely need to improve in. Among about a dozen other things.

Holly hell...

Some time passes and you forget just HOW mediocre that last Cally team was. NEVER AGAIN! :ahhhhhhhh

Neat chart Nuance. +1'd. Obviously our turnover problems have a lot to do with running a spread attack with a dual threat QB who's always been slightly fumble prone (but seems to be improving). The fumbles that are REALLY concerning to me and we absolutely need to get rid of are on the punts. Not only do they give away a possession but they're a total waste of field position as well.

I was just discussing with my buddy yesterday... DO you remember the last time we blocked a kick? A punt? Or really walloped someone on coverage teams? Special teams (other than FG kicking, which has largely been, well, actually special under Bo) have seemed to have become of secondary importance to Bo's teams.

Granted, they have of other glaring issues to worry about right now. But the ball security on returns is one of the most important IMO and it makes me sad we aren't drilling harder for a very overlooked 1/3 of the game that could potentially help put these teams that need the extra boost over the top.

The turnover margin problem falls on the shoulders of the defense as much as it does the offense.... The past few years our 'd' has been horrible at forcing turnovers....

Exactly. Had we had a decent front 7, we would have seen more INT's this year too.

I love it when people say that turnovers have been an issue since Pelini has been here. Yes, they have been an issue, but they have been an issue far before Pelini was even a DC here.

clearly the margin on turnovers needs to be addressed on both sides of the ball and on special teams. The D needs to generate more turnovers, the Offense needs to reduce their turnovers... especially the sloppy careless subset of their turnovers, and the special teams simply have been a problem wrt dropping punts (many were not turnovers, just a muffed catch then falling on it ourselves... still a problem).

This team is flawed in terms of execution in so many areas --- which, at first glace is a major problem... and is... but there is a good part to that too --- and it is this... minor improvements in multiple areas can produce a net, team-wise major improvement. An example is the turnover margin. Slightly better and more aggressive team tackling and few more turnovers go our way --- slightly better break on the ball and a couple more interceptions go our way --- a modest improvement in the mental side of ball protection on offense and a few less turnovers result. All of a sudden the -12 turnover margin becomes a -3 or so and that difference might be a victory or two on the season. In other words, in the realm of turnovers and in a dozen other execution/technique problem areas on the team -- a minor improvement in each (or, at least many) areas yields a major net positive effect. Most of it is fixable.

A strong front 7 on D makes a lot the difference. It forces Offenses to make decisions they may not want to make. Makes them hurry up a play or try to do too much because they are in trouble. That correlates to turnovers. We haven't had that strong of a front 7 the last few years so there you go.

OW8600127.JPG

Holly hell...

Some time passes and you forget just HOW mediocre that last Cally team was. NEVER AGAIN! :ahhhhhhhh

Neat chart Nuance. +1'd. Obviously our turnover problems have a lot to do with running a spread attack with a dual threat QB who's always been slightly fumble prone (but seems to be improving). The fumbles that are REALLY concerning to me and we absolutely need to get rid of are on the punts. Not only do they give away a possession but they're a total waste of field position as well.

I was just discussing with my buddy yesterday... DO you remember the last time we blocked a kick? A punt? Or really walloped someone on coverage teams? Special teams (other than FG kicking, which has largely been, well, actually special under Bo) have seemed to have become of secondary importance to Bo's teams.

Granted, they have of other glaring issues to worry about right now. But the ball security on returns is one of the most important IMO and it makes me sad we aren't drilling harder for a very overlooked 1/3 of the game that could potentially help put these teams that need the extra boost over the top.

Last blocked kick was 2009, last blocked punt was 2011.

If I remember correctly.

Not being able to field a freaking punt played into that negative considerably, hopefully that's corrected. Wouldnt' mind seeing Westerkamp back there. Has sure hands and while he isn't a gamebreaker he has enough shake to make a guy miss and get solid yards. I liked that in the Spring backs were working with the nylon ball covers to improve security. Would be interested to know if qb's have used them and/or really worked on ball security. TM fumbles way too much and Armstrong had some issues in the Spring game. Hopefully TM's passing takes another step forward this year, especially in terms keeping technique while on the move.

Break even or win the turnover battle and this O is dynamic enough to to keep us in it when the D is struggling.

The biggest deficit last year as it relates to TO's was that almost half the points scored against us were after we lost a fumble. This did not take into account INT's. With INT's it was like 30%.

Here is a good break down of or TO's and national comparisons.

http://dataomaha.com...-slippery-slope

We can't win the close games or join the elite if we have to play ourselves and the opponent.

Not being able to field a freaking punt played into that negative considerably, hopefully that's corrected. Wouldnt' mind seeing Westerkamp back there. Has sure hands and while he isn't a gamebreaker he has enough shake to make a guy miss and get solid yards. I liked that in the Spring backs were working with the nylon ball covers to improve security. Would be interested to know if qb's have used them and/or really worked on ball security. TM fumbles way too much and Armstrong had some issues in the Spring game. Hopefully TM's passing takes another step forward this year, especially in terms keeping technique while on the move.

Break even or win the turnover battle and this O is dynamic enough to to keep us in it when the D is struggling.

Someone had also mentioned that when we are on O, Martinez chooses to go with older "more worn" balls. I wonder if the older smoother footballs might contribute to our issues.