Haters and Husker fans. Can we be our own worst enemy?

Took some time today and was watching the Capitol One Bowl, Huskers vs. South Carolina. Early in the game, Nebraska scored on a very nice pass from Taylor to Kenny. Moments later, the Huskers had the PAT blocked and returned for two points.

It occurred to me that when I was watching the game live back then, the blocked PAT almost cancelled out the joy of the scoring pass.

Granted the PAT block and return sucked. Heck the ultimate result of the game was not pleasant, but sometimes, and this is just me, I think that I need to work on enjoying what the Huskers do well as much as I hate what they do poorly.

Has anyone ever gotten to the point where they are their own best negator? Like thinking, cool, we beat Arky State, followed by, yea, but they were just Arky State. Better shore up this and that and this and that or we are going to get killed by this team or that team.

Haters often times jump on my Huskers with their various rants, but sometimes I think there is a tendency for Husker fans to minimize wins and success and maximise losses and failures more than any hater could freaking dream up.

It just sucks that we wait so freaking long for the season, then spend a bunch of it not really enjoying what the Big Red has to offer because of a tendency to dwell on the negative.

At times, I have wondered whether I should even watch if I can't just wear the red, cheer and be happy when they win and a bit less of an insufferable douche when the lose.

Does any of that make sense or is it just a long rant of psychobabble BULLSH**T?!

• Fire 2

This describes about 1/2 to 3/4 of Husker Fans, depending on the day - sometimes depending on the play in the game at the time.

There's also a segment of fans I call "self-loathing Husker Fans" for whom the success of days gone by is the flail with which they flagellate themselves, and forever the bar by which they measure every other Husker team.

Nebraska Fan is often the victim of past success. Because they know perfection, anything short of it is forever not good enough. They cannot seem to simply enjoy the players and the atmosphere surrounding Husker Football.

It's kinda sad.

It makes complete sense. Just read the "What 2012 season would you rather have". Wisconsin is good because they lost close games, including a blown lead at Nebraska. Nebraska is bad because they had to squeak out wins and got lucky against Wisconsin. The psychology of Husker fandom is a complicated area :)

• Fire 1

I don't know how I feel about the Wisky game. We did play a hell of a lot better down the stretch in that one, which was fun. And bottling up Ball and getting him to fumble was great at the end. My favorite moment of the game though was priceless. I watched at the stadium. Guy standing next to me, a Wisky fan, is talking about how Nebraska is screwed and the Badgers had NU right where they wanted em... blah, blah, blah. I was about ready to wheel and punch the dude in the nose when.... Taylor goes streaking in for the touchdown that sparked the come back. He claimed TMart was out there at the one or whatever and didn't score. When his protest fell on deaf ears he really had nothing to say for the rest of the game. I didn't say anything to the guy. I was just smiling for the remainder of the clock, so widely that I think I might have done some damage to my face. LOL

• Fire 1

Has anyone ever gotten to the point where they are their own best negator? Like thinking, cool, we beat Arky State, followed by, yea, but they were just Arky State. Better shore up this and that and this and that or we are going to get killed by this team or that team.

I don't see any reason with a fan having this mindset. This is exactly what goes through my mind after wins against teams like Arkansas State and Wyoming and things like that, and that's the entire reason we play those games, so I don't see any flaw with that.

As far as South Carolina, Georgia, etc., I carry a lot of the same mindset. "Man, if only we had done this just a little bit better, we could have won that game." Once again, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Having fans who are knowledgeable about the game and demand success is what makes Nebraska truly unique. It also keeps teams from slipping into complacency. Teams who have demanding fans generally have successful teams (with exceptions obviously) because there is so much pressure to deliver on those demands. There is nothing wrong with this way of thinking as fans, and I hope we as a fan base never change.

I've never encountered a Nebraska fan who is also a Nebraska hater. Those two words have basically opposite meanings. Such a thing can't really exist.

You can have someone like Landomatic, who used to be a fan, but became a hater. But fan and hater at the same time? Nah. That doesn't make sense.

I think what you're describing are impatient fans. Those aren't exclusive to Nebraska Football.

In 2008 after the Va Tech loss I was scowling and pissy the rest of the night. After that game, I realized that I was quite literally worshiping Nebraska Football and that wasn't okay. So I took a few steps back and reminded myself that it is sport and that I have no right to any sort of expectations.

Since that time, I have really enjoyed being a fan. Finding joy in success and still finding joy in defeat, not letting wins and losses dictate your spirit is a really freeing thing.

• Fire 1

In 2008 after the Va Tech loss I was scowling and pissy the rest of the night. After that game, I realized that I was quite literally worshiping Nebraska Football and that wasn't okay. So I took a few steps back and reminded myself that it is sport and that I have no right to any sort of expectations.

Since that time, I have really enjoyed being a fan. Finding joy in success and still finding joy in defeat, not letting wins and losses dictate your spirit is a really freeing thing.

About an hour after the VT game, I was sitting alone sulking in the lobby of my dorm. Some due walked out of the elevator, saw me, said "F*** YOU MAN" and continued on to wherever he was going. I'm pretty sure I said it back without even looking up.

Nice to meet you, Landlord.

• Fire 4

About an hour after the VT game, I was sitting alone sulking in the lobby of my dorm. Some due walked out of the elevator, saw me, said "F*** YOU MAN" and continued on to wherever he was going. I'm pretty sure I said it back without even looking up.

Nice to meet you, Landlord.

I was at a kids camp outside of Central City, but I'm sure that guy was going through something similar ;)

Most of you young folks probably missed the "Sooner Magic" days and the scarred exit wounds from having your hearts repeatedly ripped out in the last two minutes of every game with OU in Tom's first 7-8 tries against Barry.

I think the self depreciating? humor and the trend to dwell on the negatives and "aw shucks" the positives is handed down from the Swedish settlers that formed most of the farming communities, and maybe refocussed durring the Great Depression and the stubborn folks that persevered (stayed back).

All I know is that the older I get, the easier it is to convince myself that's it's only a game..Or after the bigger dissapointments, that it's really just entertainment..And then, and only then do I feel safe in taking the Suicide Hotline off my speed dial.

that game sucked... went down to orlando for that one. i reached my brandon kinnie breaking point in that game. i lost it when he dropped one of the many catchables that we needed regain control of that game. not my finest hour... fitting considering the thread.

This describes about 1/2 to 3/4 of Husker Fans, depending on the day - sometimes depending on the play in the game at the time.

There's also a segment of fans I call "self-loathing Husker Fans" for whom the success of days gone by is the flail with which they flagellate themselves, and forever the bar by which they measure every other Husker team.

Nebraska Fan is often the victim of past success. Because they know perfection, anything short of it is forever not good enough. They cannot seem to simply enjoy the players and the atmosphere surrounding Husker Football.

It's kinda sad.

Sounds like Southern Miss.

The success of the 90's plays a big part in how we feel today. We got accustomed to winning big and winning championships. Until we see that dominance again, fans will not be satisfied with the wins.

Exactly! +1

I guess that's a downside of having an awesome run like the 90s. Our expectations go through the roof. I do my level best to be positive about the Huskers. After a devastating loss when I'm feeling too negative (like the CCG vs. the Cheese Tards), I try to stay the heck away from posting on HB for a while. But a better NUance wouldn't let setbacks send me into a blue funk. Oh well, what's a guy gonna do?

• Fire 1