NFL Rumors – Cincinnati Bengals Will Make Rex Burkhead Their Number One Running Back

I think anybody who argues that Rex is not an every-down back will be pretty surprised if he is ever given the chance to be one. The only thing he's missing is top end speed, but honestly, how many times a game does a RB break free and have to have blazing speed? Not very often.

Rex is going to be a stud for the Bengals. I was kind of hoping he would end up in Denver because of their tendency to build a scheme for one-cut downhill runners. As it turns out, Cincy might even be better for Burkhead. All he needs is a chance to show what he can do. Provided he can stay healthy, Rex will help the Bengals take the next step toward being relevant.

Glad to see Rex is doing well there, and that would be something if he were to start on Sunday. :)

Question--does Cincy have any sort of line for Rex to run behind, or does the ineptitude that Cincy's reputation is saddled with extend to their O-Line?

i would really like to see Rex win the starting job.....but the Bengals have too much invested in Bernard to name rex the starter right off. Bernard will be given every chance to win the job or prove that he can't carry the load before rex can be named the starter. JMO

This is not correct. The new rookie wage scale means Bernard will be making less than $1M per year and in the NFL, no contracts are guaranteed so they can cut him at any time with very little financial implications.

I don't see anything in the article that would lead anyone to believe he is being considered for the starting job at this point. Jay Gruden has recently been quoted that Bernard and Burkhead are competing for the 3rd down job right now, which is a good thing for where a lot of people would have expected RB to be at in his first year. However, in that role, we all know receiving ability and pass pro are the most important attributes. Bernard had a far more prolific pass catching career in college and Rex's biggest negative (more so than his speed) on the scouting report was his pass pro ability. At this point he is probably a ST player, with a strong opportunity to win a role in the backfield at some point this season. Either way, I, like everyone else is rooting for him.

Said offensive coordinator Jay Gruden: "He's quicker than a cat. He has (one of the fastest times) in the short shuttle. His quickness is above average, if not great, but the intangibles he has, the size he has, his strength, his work ethic, all that makes him to be reckoned with come camp time. He's got great feet and quick; it's what we thought we had (with him). He's a great option for us. He’s a little bit thicker and bigger to handle pass protection. He's tough as nails, we know that."

OWH Article

Said offensive coordinator Jay Gruden: "He's quicker than a cat. He has (one of the fastest times) in the short shuttle. His quickness is above average, if not great, but the intangibles he has, the size he has, his strength, his work ethic, all that makes him to be reckoned with come camp time. He's got great feet and quick; it's what we thought we had (with him). He's a great option for us. He’s a little bit thicker and bigger to handle pass protection. He's tough as nails, we know that."

OWH Article

"Not that I didn't know he had ability, but watching him in person, you get to see a guy in a whole different light. He has extremely quick feet, has really good hands, is very smart, and catches on extremely well. He’s just another good player for our room."

No dammit, he's a great player.

i would really like to see Rex win the starting job.....but the Bengals have too much invested in Bernard to name rex the starter right off. Bernard will be given every chance to win the job or prove that he can't carry the load before rex can be named the starter. JMO

This is not correct. The new rookie wage scale means Bernard will be making less than $1M per year and in the NFL, no contracts are guaranteed so they can cut him at any time with very little financial implications.

I don't see anything in the article that would lead anyone to believe he is being considered for the starting job at this point. Jay Gruden has recently been quoted that Bernard and Burkhead are competing for the 3rd down job right now, which is a good thing for where a lot of people would have expected RB to be at in his first year. However, in that role, we all know receiving ability and pass pro are the most important attributes. Bernard had a far more prolific pass catching career in college and Rex's biggest negative (more so than his speed) on the scouting report was his pass pro ability. At this point he is probably a ST player, with a strong opportunity to win a role in the backfield at some point this season. Either way, I, like everyone else is rooting for him.

And coaches who worry more about playing the higher paid players more, are not NFL head coaches very long. Use Seattle as a perfect example. They spend a boatload on the free agent market, and start the second round rookie, because he gave them a better chance to win. That is the only thing that really matters in the NFL.

I can't get over how many people think the only reason Rex could make it is cause of his work ethic and attitude. He isn't exactly some talentless schlub we picked up off the street.

Talentless, no, but his work ethic is most of what has made him to this day.

I remember that Tex-ass wouldn't recruit him out of high school because he had already "peaked" then. His work ethic is what has made him the player he was in college.