Bands that should not have been as big as they are or were

So I get to be the first to mention U2 and Green Day?

Yay, I win the thread.

can't remember who said it, but the line was, "U2 wishes they could have been the Clash"

I like U2, when I was a kid small town Iowa, I saw them on MTV and went out immediately and bought War. Have been a big U2 fan ever since. Probably the best concert I ever saw. They are one of the tightest bands in concert you will ever here. The Clash was great, acutally I will say Joe Strummer and Mick Jones were great, but they didn't have any staying power they quit. Everyone of there albums has a different sound and feel. U2 is a lot that way also except they will have 2-3 albums with the same feel and then change directions.

I know most don't like Bono and think he is some sort of pretentious crusader, but I guess I just like the music.

• Fire 1

So the bands that should have been bigger thread had some good names in it. Now let's see what you can come up with for bands that shouldn't get the credit the received. This isn't bands that just annoy you. We're talking bands that you can't believe got as big as they did. They can be super bands or whatever.

My first pick is System of a Down. That music sounds like rocks in a blender and the singer is horrible.

Who ya got?

I usually picture this guy from Scrubs as the lead singer.

220px-John_C._McGinley_2013.jpg

Yeah. This took a different route than I expected. It wasn't meant to be a "what band do I hate" thread. It was supposed to be more about how a band got as big as they are for not really doing much to get there.

I think there are some names that are viable in here but for the most part everyone is listing groups or singers they hate. Its cool though. Something fun to talk about until football season starts again

You tell it, Goldilocks!!!

So I get to be the first to mention U2 and Green Day?

Yay, I win the thread.

can't remember who said it, but the line was, "U2 wishes they could have been the Clash"

I like U2, when I was a kid small town Iowa, I saw them on MTV and went out immediately and bought War. Have been a big U2 fan ever since. Probably the best concert I ever saw. They are one of the tightest bands in concert you will ever here. The Clash was great, acutally I will say Joe Strummer and Mick Jones were great, but they didn't have any staying power they quit. Everyone of there albums has a different sound and feel. U2 is a lot that way also except they will have 2-3 albums with the same feel and then change directions.

I know most don't like Bono and think he is some sort of pretentious crusader, but I guess I just like the music.

There music is pretty good. Numb was a cool video

So the bands that should have been bigger thread had some good names in it. Now let's see what you can come up with for bands that shouldn't get the credit the received. This isn't bands that just annoy you. We're talking bands that you can't believe got as big as they did. They can be super bands or whatever.

My first pick is System of a Down. That music sounds like rocks in a blender and the singer is horrible.

Who ya got?

I usually picture this guy from Scrubs as the lead singer.

220px-John_C._McGinley_2013.jpg

Close enough.

17916725.jpg

The Doors.
WTH? Is this a troll or are you serious? They definitely had plenty that I would call an acquired taste but they were groundbreaking in many ways and had more than a few really good songs.

100% serious. I would rather have another root canal then to hear that organ solo from "Light My Fire." Cringing just thinking about it.

Oh, and how about the Chili Pepers? Their 15 minutes should have ended after the sock concert thing.

I'm not sure there is a band playing today that uses geographical locations more often than the Chili Peppers. That's when you know you can't write good songs. Uh what rhymes with Alabama? Hammer? Sweet!

The Doors.
WTH? Is this a troll or are you serious? They definitely had plenty that I would call an acquired taste but they were groundbreaking in many ways and had more than a few really good songs.

100% serious. I would rather have another root canal then to hear that organ solo from "Light My Fire." Cringing just thinking about it.

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

I can understand how somebody under 35 years old may not appreciate the Doors and the time period they represented. And for clarification, Light My Fire is close to my least favorite song of theirs. But Roadhouse Blues, Break on Through, Love Me Two Times, Five To One, When the Music's Over, Hello I Love You.....? c'mon now.

The Doors.

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

I can understand how somebody under 35 years old may not appreciate the Doors and the time period they represented. And for clarification, Light My Fire is close to my least favorite song of theirs. But Roadhouse Blues, Break on Through, Love Me Two Times, Five To One, When the Music's Over, Hello I Love You.....? c'mon now.

44. It has nothing to do with the time period. Cream is one of my favorite bands, about the same time right? It is just the music. I will give you Roadhouse Blues, that is tolerable. But the rest, ESPECIALLY Light My Fire, I will shut off a saw mid cut to change the channel on my garage radio when they play.

Dentist drill>Light My Fire organ solo...

Rammstein. Why is Rammstein so popular in the US among people who don't even speak German? At my high school, Rammstein was the second coming of Jesus among the closet racist kids.

I'm not racist and I like them. I also speak very little German.

Reise, Reise is probably one of my favs.