I purchased both the xbox 360 and the PS3 on release night. I liked both for different reasons, xbox social interaction (ease of playing with friends) and the PS4 graphics and bluray capability. I purchased games for both consoles (as well as PC titles) based off which platform they were designed best for, or if I wanted to play with friends (madden and cod on xbox). My first xbox got the dreaded red ring. Shipped back to Microsoft and waited 2 weeks for a repaired console. I played the second Xbox for about 9months until it died. Purchased a third xbox that died 14 months later. Frustrated I gave all my xbox games away to friends. As for the PS3.... the same 4 usb, 40gb, backwards compatible is still sitting in my entertainment stand and has been working flawlessly since the day of release (6.5 years ago....). Not only is it my only console, its my only bluray player and gets used almost daily (over 100 blurays in my collection). While I have never been a fanboy of either console (still a PC gamer at heart) and Sony and Microsoft companies both disgust me.... Sony makes a better "gaming" console than Microsoft. If you want the entertainment/social aspects of a PC on your TV, ya Microsoft is appealing - but Id rather have a good gaming PC and a PS4 any day.

From news today that Sony will require Vita 'Remote Play' on all 'non-Eye' titles, I stand by it being not required.

http://www.ign.com/a...r-all-ps4-games

That doesn't mean the EyeToy can't be required to be connected and on at all times--just that you can use the Vita as a PS4 controller/monitor combo.

Also, please note that if Sony and Microsoft require their EyeToy/Kinect devices for operation, that doesn't mean their use is required for play.

---

WAHusker, if you have an XBox die on you that many times, it's likely something you're doing on your end. I'm still using my 2006 console that got the RROD, got it shipped and returned fixed in the same week, and no problems since. But I also have a clean house, dust, and take care of my electronics.

Also, we could talk about the shoddy PS3 and how my fat system YLODed on me and Sony wouldn't repair, despite it being known as a widespread problem with their fat system models. But that didn't stop me from replacing it...though it's now mostly a Blu-Ray player since there's precious little worth playing on it that isn't already on the PC.

You know if game companies want to fight used game sales they might try to actually make quality games that we don't want to get rid of (looking at you EA). Or sell them at a better price so the savings isn't that great when buying used.

I don't think they're trying to fight used game sales, because both are either offering or working on ways to sell the game back.

Here's a thought. By linking the game to each individual game consoles and by requiring a check-in to the servers every 24 hours, could it be possible that Microsoft and the game developers are just trying to more accessibly gather usage data in order to better tailor what they offer?

You know if game companies want to fight used game sales they might try to actually make quality games that we don't want to get rid of (looking at you EA). Or sell them at a better price so the savings isn't that great when buying used.

I don't think they're trying to fight used game sales, because both are either offering or working on ways to sell the game back.

Here's a thought. By linking the game to each individual game consoles and by requiring a check-in to the servers every 24 hours, could it be possible that Microsoft and the game developers are just trying to more accessibly gather usage data in order to better tailor what they offer?

They already do that with the current generation of consoles, and EA and Activision still produce s**t. :)

A. This is incorrect--it doesn't require always-on internet. Just internet to authenticate DRM, just like Sony will require.

B. So does Sony, or have you not been paying attention to the latest news?

I'm not a fanboy. Well actually I am; I'm a Nintendo fanboy. But you don't see me mentioning the POS Wii U there do you. Also, calling me a dumbass for things I posted several days ago and citing articles and information that came out YESTERDAY is pretty silly. Not to mention the fact that these are rumors and are not confirmed.

Its not ok for tschu to be a fanboy but its ok for Matthew to be a fanboy of Xbox?

BTW all of these things you've mentioned about the PS4 having what the XboxOne does are all just RUMORS. We will know more about these added features till June 10 during E3.

Just face it the XboxOne is garbage and your trying to drag the PS4 down with all these rumors

A. This is incorrect--it doesn't require always-on internet. Just internet to authenticate DRM, just like Sony will require.

I'm not a fanboy. Well actually I am; I'm a Nintendo fanboy. But you don't see me mentioning the POS Wii U there do you. Also, calling me a dumbass for things I posted several days ago and citing articles and information that came out YESTERDAY is pretty silly. Not to mention the fact that these are rumors and are not confirmed.

Its not ok for tschu to be a fanboy but its ok for Matthew to be a fanboy of Xbox?

BTW all of these things you've mentioned about the PS4 having what the XboxOne does are all just RUMORS. We will know more about these added features till June 10 during E3.

Just face it the XboxOne is garbage and your trying to drag the PS4 down with all these rumors

Like I said, let's just wait until after E3 before we get all "Xbox One sucks" on here. I'm betting Sony has something like the used games thing up their sleeve, they're just not wanting to say it yet because it's killing Microsoft right now.

That's probably the correct strategy from a consumer point of view. From a business point of view Microsoft has obviously made some mistakes getting to this point. But that also doesn't mean that's going to be the case going forward.

All of this is the reason that I usually wait until late in a console's life to make the purchase. After the console has been out for awhile we know it's strengths and weaknesses and can compare each console in the generation. Plus, the price has often gone down, the great games from earlier in its life are available for cheap, etc etc.

That's probably the correct strategy from a consumer point of view. From a business point of view Microsoft has obviously made some mistakes getting to this point. But that also doesn't mean that's going to be the case going forward.

All of this is the reason that I usually wait until late in a console's life to make the purchase. After the console has been out for awhile we know it's strengths and weaknesses and can compare each console in the generation. Plus, the price has often gone down, the great games from earlier in its life are available for cheap, etc etc.

Speaking of consoles and price. I'm prolly gonna wait just to get it til after The last of us drops a bit as that game looks ah-freaking-mazing.

Like I said, let's just wait until after E3 before we get all "Xbox One sucks" on here. I'm betting Sony has something like the used games thing up their sleeve, they're just not wanting to say it yet because it's killing Microsoft right now.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. Sony's PR reps know the public likes to shoot the messenger, so why not let Microsoft fall on that sword--especially since Sony knows Microsoft has a machine that far outpaces the PS4 on the non-gaming front.

---

And HuskerJock no, not an Xbox fanboy. I'm more of a Colecovision, GCN, and SNES fanboy, if anything. Oh, and recent Steam/PC convert to the point where I'm building my own HTPC.

But blind fanbois putting a company down while touting a console they have yet to see the innards to is rather myopic. So what if Sony talks a good game--at the end of the day, Sony is going to have similar DRM restrictions, because this is coming from EA and Activision, not Sony and Microsoft. Why do you think that EA recently announced they're getting rid of online passes--it's because they know both the PS4 and XBox One will be online authentication machines.

And just because Sony strokes the ePeen of the fanbois with better PR, it won't make the reality any better when they introduce their own similar measures--it will just make the fanbois feel better about their purchase. This kind of crap will bring down the industry, and I've already lived through the first crash--I don't want to see a second. :-|

Oh, and as far as the XBox One, if it weren't for day one Forza 5 (vastly superior series compared to GT currently) and HDMI pass-through, I wouldn't be interested in the XBox One--most of what it could do, I can get with a HTPC build running XMBC.

Since it appears that the Sony trolls are sleeping on the job, or perhaps they don't want to report information contrary to their position, Microsoft came out with more details yesterday. Of note:

-The system must check in every 24 hours online or games don't work

-The Kinect can be turned off

-The XBox One supports used games, as long as the publisher approves it

-Microsoft will not charge a fee to clear used games (again, leaves that up to publishers).

-Up to 10 Family accounts can use one license, even on multiple machines (e.g. kid goes to college and has his own system, father and son could buy just one game, install on separate machines, enjoy.)

-Games can only be given once to someone outside of your 'family' accounts, based on whether or not the publisher allows it.

---

Frankly, the 24 hour check-in is bulls**t, and I fully expect this to change to a one-time online activation (a la Steam) down the road.

Otherwise, you can turn the Kinect off (good for the anti-Kinect folks who were butthurt), and the rest of this stuff (clearing games for used sale, publishers determining if games can be sold used, etc.) is all publisher driven, which is why Microsoft (smartly) is stepping back and putting the ball in the publishers court for this.

And isn't it rather odd that Sony has remained silent on these issues...it's almost as if they're afraid to admit they have a similar structure in place. :-|

---

On a somewhat related note, apparently Konami is the latest company to embrace PC gaming via Steam, as they're porting the prior Castlevania game to the PC, the new Castlevania game is PC-bound, and the new Metal Gear game is PC bound.

Looks like PC may end up being a legitimate third platform, especially if there's a competitively-priced Steam box on the horizon. Not too much of a stretch, considering the angst over Microsoft's (and likely Sony's) publisher-driven console policies.