The hope for a stronger defense in 2013-14.

I think the raking the ball out caused a lot of problems last year. Make the frippen tackle, wrap up, put them on the ground. Turnovers happen, but having it be the primary first motion is just dumb I think. Never played at this level, so could be all wet for sure. I know when I played it was get the sucker on the ground and make him happy he was there. Deal out pain and intensity, and what happens happens. I got so sick of seeing our DB's trying to knock the ball out, never attempting to tackle and the guy just runs for another 10 yard or scores.

They road the bench last year for a reason. Not good enough to beat out the starters. Not ready to play, so redshirted. I think we will look better, because we play an easier schedule. But I doubt we see a tremendous turn around form what we have seen. I do agree they should be better by the middle of conference play, but is better really good enough. We will see as the games are played. I just hope we do not see the 600 yards allowed games this year.

I agree with you about the way they were doing it. Watching the highlights of a lot of our young players (Afalava, Anderson, Jackson in particular but I know there were others) they were very good at tackling with form and getting that ball out while still wrapping up. That's what I'm talking about. Not that stupid crap where you try to grab the ball and not tackle the player. Putting your helmet right on the ball, bringing your arm down so hard it punches the ball out all while wrapping up is the kind of technique I am talking about here, and a lot of these younger guys do it instinctually.

I probably needed to clarify some. I'm not saying this years defense will be at the level of the offense. I do think the steps will be taken this year to get us to that point in a year or two. Growing pains this year for sure.....especially early and against UCLA in particular.

This is pretty much every year on at least 1 side of the ball. Next year we have to break in a new qb unless we blow some teams out and the backups get some reps in; it will be a long season next season as well.

More worried about line than qb. Lotta guys to replace. If Lewis can plead down to a misdemeanor and our '13 juco guys are as advertised we should be in good shape though. QB will be inexperienced but he'll also be surrounded with a sick group of backs and receivers that can take the pressure off and make him look good. Plus if it's Armstrong he'll be in his third Fall in the system and should have it down.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and start acting like people who have been in the system are going to turn out great.

I probably needed to clarify some. I'm not saying this years defense will be at the level of the offense. I do think the steps will be taken this year to get us to that point in a year or two. Growing pains this year for sure.....especially early and against UCLA in particular.

This is pretty much every year on at least 1 side of the ball. Next year we have to break in a new qb unless we blow some teams out and the backups get some reps in; it will be a long season next season as well.

More worried about line than qb. Lotta guys to replace. If Lewis can plead down to a misdemeanor and our '13 juco guys are as advertised we should be in good shape though. QB will be inexperienced but he'll also be surrounded with a sick group of backs and receivers that can take the pressure off and make him look good. Plus if it's Armstrong he'll be in his third Fall in the system and should have it down.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and start acting like people who have been in the system are going to turn out great.

Not unless they get 10 snaps a game period

:sarcasm:

Defense is predicated on talent. Although athleticism/speed/talent are of the utmost importance, developing those attributes to achieve the objective is critical. In order to do that, a team has to have a support system similar to what Osborne had in the 1990's. His system, (through his assistant coaches), developed the players from the weight room to the scout squad so that when they reached a certain level of competitiveness, they were able to be on the field. Until Pelini develops a similar system, our defense will be sadly lacking, year to year.

Yes. Youre right. That system. The one 20+ years in the making. :rolleyes:

Yes, and once it was recognized, it should be painfully obvious to Pelini what needs to be done to replicate it. Simply put, Pelini either does not have the components that will allow him to do that or he does not recognize what those components need to be. If I were a head coach at any university in the country, I would take a good hard look at what Osborne did at NU. He faced the same recruiting difficulties that Pelini does. Osborne founded a culture to overcome those difficulties. That system was player development.

Defense is predicated on talent. Although athleticism/speed/talent are of the utmost importance, developing those attributes to achieve the objective is critical. In order to do that, a team has to have a support system similar to what Osborne had in the 1990's. His system, (through his assistant coaches), developed the players from the weight room to the scout squad so that when they reached a certain level of competitiveness, they were able to be on the field. Until Pelini develops a similar system, our defense will be sadly lacking, year to year.

Yes. Youre right. That system. The one 20+ years in the making. :rolleyes:

Yes, and once it was recognized, it should be painfully obvious to Pelini what needs to be done to replicate it. Simply put, Pelini either does not have the components that will allow him to do that or he does not recognize what those components need to be. If I were a head coach at any university in the country, I would take a good hard look at what Osborne did at NU. He faced the same recruiting difficulties that Pelini does. Osborne founded a culture to overcome those difficulties. That system was player development.

Osborne had unmatched facilities and 2nd-to-none, state of the art psychological programs. I appreciate the desire, I really do. God knows I want it back just as much, but quite frankly, those years are just not repeatable in the current atmosphere of college football the way it was done then.

Coach Osborne had nearly every kid in the state of Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and the area in general wanting to play for Nebraska. Walk on was a needed tool then. It was a god send for Nebraska. Not the same any more. Kids that could not get or were not considered for scholarships are getting them now due to social media, larger budgets for the smaller schools. Kids can not afford to walk on if there is a full ride some place else. Those are the days that are over along with what MR, where the hell did that come from, Accountability said.

Wasn't there a lot more scholarships during Osbourne era, a much larger practice squad, that allowed use to run 4 to 5 groups continuously during a practice? Last i heard we were down to 2 or 3 with current restrictions on team size. That effects a program top to bottom, especially one who leans on our walk on program as much as we do.

Wasn't there a lot more scholarships during Osbourne era, a much larger practice squad, that allowed use to run 4 to 5 groups continuously during a practice? Last i heard we were down to 2 or 3 with current restrictions on team size. That effects a program top to bottom, especially one who leans on our walk on program as much as we do.

yes. A little behind the scenes concept that is forgotten is that back then, we had an additional 2 whole teams worth (20-30) more scholarships. Now, in practice, when your scout team is composed of 11 scholarship caliber guys that could play anywhere, as opposed to now mostly walkons and freshman/sophs that arent good enough or developed enough to see the field, it creates a lot healthier competition for those 1st/2nd teamers in practice. Competition breeds success. When the scholarships were limited, the big schools like Nebraska started losing their really good 4th and 5th teamers that they used to practice against to teams like TCU, Boise St, etc and etc. becuase they didnt get the schollys to the Nebraska's, Florida St, Bama's etc.