The hope for a stronger defense in 2013-14.

In past threads we have discussed reasons as to why our defense has been so ineffective (a kind adjective) the last few years. This topic will not address that any further, rather I want to express why I have hope we can be better in the not to distant future. When Bo took over 5 years ago the defense was in a shambles and the offense was by far the stronger of the two. We kept many of the O assistants and Bo poured himself into the defense. By the middle of the 2nd season we could see the D start to gain confidence and get critical stops and by the 3rd season they were one of the best in the country. I understand they were mostly Cally's recruits but they did accomplish great things under Bo and staff.

On the other hand, the O slid till by the 3rd season when the D was insanely good, we just hoped the O could get the ball close enough so Alex could kick a long FG. A few new assistant coaches and fine tuning the type of O we wanted has put our offense back on the map with talent all over the field.

Now it is time to focus again on the defense and get it to the same level as the offense. A defense that causes turnovers, contains offenses and in general holds up its end. I have confidence Bo will do to that side of the ball what he did with the offense.

The next problem we will have is keeping the young assistants in the stable and not loosing them to other programs as they get head coaching offers.

• Fire 1

I probably needed to clarify some. I'm not saying this years defense will be at the level of the offense. I do think the steps will be taken this year to get us to that point in a year or two. Growing pains this year for sure.....especially early and against UCLA in particular.

This is pretty much every year on at least 1 side of the ball. Next year we have to break in a new qb unless we blow some teams out and the backups get some reps in; it will be a long season next season as well.

It's early summer, I'm going all optimistic here. I'm not proclaiming another David, but the talent level is certainly better than last yrs. We're very young, players will make mistakes, hopefully with all the added speed, one players mistake will be covered by another's speed and talent. It's going to be interesting.

I had the same thoughts as you've stated. When Bo devoted all his energies on defense, it became dominate. He switched to the O leaving the D to Carl. The O got better each year, now they carry the team. With Bo back with the D, I'm looking for exciting games from this young D. Hope eternal. GBR

• Fire 1

Suh and Amukamara, two recruits from the Callahan era (I'm assuming correctly, yes?) were no names in Nebraska's defense while Callahan was still the coach. When Bo became the head coach, Suh and Amukamara became staples and well-respected names in Nebraska's defense.

That leads to one of two conclusions: a) Bo is really good at developing talent. Or b) Those players were of a certain mentality that they were willing to put in the work despite their coach being crap at developing talent.

It is well known that Bo's first few recruiting classes weren't very good, and past two years' worth of defense showed it. However, Bo's recruiting classes have gotten better and better and the athletes are coming. Now, why didn't Bo decide to play them?

Our offense was improving, but it wasn't to that point where it was consistently electric. The current defense we had then should've been enough to allow our offense a chance to win football games. Let's redshirt the better talent and better potential now in favor of a better later defense which will be coupled with an offense that won't see a drop off in talent for a good couple of years.

• Fire 1

IMO we face 2 issues with improving the D. We need better talent. That is plainly obvious given the lack of drafted seniors as well as the opinion that this year will be a case of addition by subtraction when losing all of the seniors.

Secondly, when Bo has all word talent ie Sum Gnomes, Prince, Haag, Assante etc....his D was flat out scary. When we lose this talent we get our 2 blow out losses per year. Is it talent? Is it coaching?

With better talent Bo's D will work. He just needs to figure out a way to let the talent and the guys he has fit his scheme. Last year for example, no way a 260 lb Cam (feel I am adding about 20 lbs) can have success as a DT in any scheme let alone a 2 gap. Bo needs to learn to make work what he has available.

Again last our DL was so porous the safeties had to play the run and pass. Good luck in any scheme with that. IMO, Bo has shown some good growth by basically admitting he blew it last year by not playing younger guys who could have helped. This season he has also installed permanent captains. Another plus IMO.

On another note, look at Zaire last year out performing (IMO) veterans and he was playing with a torn ACL. Are you kidding me?!

Long story short, with better talent ie speed Bo's scheme will work. I would like to see more hat on hat from the DL, but that is my preference. More attack, less read and react. see Lavonte when he was playing lights out and Bo said he was still not "playing in the system or right position. Speed and a nose for the ball covers a multitude of sins.

I am hopeful and also quite certain that our D will be much improved over the previous two seasons. If it is not vastly improved, I will become a Bo naysayer this coming season and I do not want to go there because, personally, I like Bo. But it is time to put the product on the field.

And call me elitist or delusional or whatever but I am absolutely disgusted with all the posts already anticipating failure against UCLA. M'erf'ing UCLA, at home in Lincoln no less. That's BS. The day I have to whine about our chances against UCLA is the day I'll find another team or quit college football for good. You don't have to be an unrealistic sunshine pumper to think we should win that game so excuse me but some of you need to have a bit more hope and faith.

• Fire 2

I am hopeful and also quite certain that our D will be much improved over the previous two seasons. If it is not vastly improved, I will become a Bo naysayer this coming season and I do not want to go there because, personally, I like Bo. But it is time to put the product on the field.

And call me elitist or delusional or whatever but I am absolutely disgusted with all the posts already anticipating failure against UCLA. M'erf'ing UCLA, at home in Lincoln no less. That's BS. The day I have to whine about our chances against UCLA is the day I'll find another team or quit college football for good. You don't have to be an unrealistic sunshine pumper to think we should win that game so excuse me but some of you need to have a bit more hope and faith.

I can't say our D won't be frustrating early on. However, we CANNOT let them come in our house and win. That said its a game we can win. Its just up to the players and coaches alike, and I hope they know that.

Preach it brother.

My prediction for UCLA is a shootout with our inexperienced defense making inexperienced mistakes. But I do believe with 100% certainty that the athletes will be on the field and the roster to win every game we play this year.