The hope for a stronger defense in 2013-14.

I think UCLA will deal us fits. They have out recruited us for the last 4 years, not even close. I really do not follow them, but they are loaded talent wise. Seem to recruit athletes for running backs, but have a 4 star that should be a redshirt junior I believe, was from Corona. Same school as Taylor I think.

We will know exactly what we have, as this will be the best team we face, including Michigan until we see Ohio State. They have the same luxuries as we do, knowing more about our scheme. Look for a real hard game, home field may pull it out, but I do not think so. UCLA will be in the hunt for the Pac 12 title is my guess. A lot of speed and size both sides of the line.

I think that while we statistically we will only be a little better this year, I truly believe it is going to feel like we have a lot better defense this year. And this is what I mean. Just a couple predictions.

1) It will be feast or famine for the defense early on. We will have a lot of busted plays, especially at the beginning of the season but we will have more big plays such as tackles for loss and turnovers forced - We have a lot of atheletic and aggressive players, notably at the LB spot who are going to be hitting hard, raking at that ball, trying to rip it out.I think our interceptions will go up this year too. We have a lot of experienced talent in the secondary. And we finally have the speed to get home on the blitzes from the LB spot. I think these too stats will go up significantly.

2) Way fewer missed tackles. We might have players out of position or whatnot quite often, but when we are in position I don't think we are going to see those whiffs nearly as frequently. Most of these guys waiting in the wings were very good tacklers in highschool and have the speed and atheleticism necessary. Obviously they are going to have to adjust to the speed of the game but they will be facing a pretty salty offense every day in practice. I think our missed tackles will drop significantly this year.

I think that most of us can live with some of those mistakes from a young defense if we are attacking, physical, creating turnovers and tackling well. It was just so frustrating watching a veteran defense last year whiff on tackles, too slow to make up ground, getting pushed around up front and frankly not very aggressive trying to get the ball out. It might just be wishful thinking, but I really believe those things will get much better this year.

I think the raking the ball out caused a lot of problems last year. Make the frippen tackle, wrap up, put them on the ground. Turnovers happen, but having it be the primary first motion is just dumb I think. Never played at this level, so could be all wet for sure. I know when I played it was get the sucker on the ground and make him happy he was there. Deal out pain and intensity, and what happens happens. I got so sick of seeing our DB's trying to knock the ball out, never attempting to tackle and the guy just runs for another 10 yard or scores.

They road the bench last year for a reason. Not good enough to beat out the starters. Not ready to play, so redshirted. I think we will look better, because we play an easier schedule. But I doubt we see a tremendous turn around form what we have seen. I do agree they should be better by the middle of conference play, but is better really good enough. We will see as the games are played. I just hope we do not see the 600 yards allowed games this year.

Our defense will improve if the DL can stay healthy. That to me is the key. If Vince V and Thad Randle stay on the field a significant amount, we will see improvement. A few of the youngsters hopefully step up and provide good minutes. This crop of linebackers should be able to stay with most running backs in coverage and meet them on the edge for limited yards. Better play up front will free the DB's to only worry about coverage and less with run support. A defense is like a human body. A bad back or a broken leg makes the whole body suffer and last year our D line was a hurting unit.

Bo admitting that he made a mistake in not playing some guys gives me hope. IMO, it means that they could have/should have played, but didn't. The guys we are counting on this year, were possibly ready last year, but Bo didn't pull the trigger. Same with his ST comments. He plans to get the best 11 on the field. I honestly do not see how we can be any worse. You look at our losses, the points, yardage, missed tackles etc and IMO, the guys would have to try to duplicate those disasters to be close to that bad.

Hopefully not just coach speak.

Defense is predicated on talent. Although athleticism/speed/talent are of the utmost importance, developing those attributes to achieve the objective is critical. In order to do that, a team has to have a support system similar to what Osborne had in the 1990's. His system, (through his assistant coaches), developed the players from the weight room to the scout squad so that when they reached a certain level of competitiveness, they were able to be on the field. Until Pelini develops a similar system, our defense will be sadly lacking, year to year.

Yes. Youre right. That system. The one 20+ years in the making. :rolleyes:

It doesn't have to be 20 plus years in the making Accountability. If that was the case, there wouldn't be so many other schools having success.

The key is continuity and repetition. Clearly continuity is a huge issue at Nebraska. We have none in almost every aspect. When you have no continuity, it's hard to have repetition. When everything is constantly changing, your routine and plan of attack changes. Your scheme changes with new coaches. Your approach changes in a new cinference.

As I've said for years now, simplicity is key. Get great at something, not mediocre at "multiple" things. That goes for both sides of the ball.

Defense is predicated on talent. Although athleticism/speed/talent are of the utmost importance, developing those attributes to achieve the objective is critical. In order to do that, a team has to have a support system similar to what Osborne had in the 1990's. His system, (through his assistant coaches), developed the players from the weight room to the scout squad so that when they reached a certain level of competitiveness, they were able to be on the field. Until Pelini develops a similar system, our defense will be sadly lacking, year to year.

It doesn't have to be 20 plus years in the making Accountability. If that was the case, there wouldn't be so many other schools having success.

The key is continuity and repetition. Clearly continuity is a huge issue at Nebraska. We have none in almost every aspect. When you have no continuity, it's hard to have repetition. When everything is constantly changing, your routine and plan of attack changes. Your scheme changes with new coaches. Your approach changes in a new cinference.

As I've said for years now, simplicity is key. Get great at something, not mediocre at "multiple" things. That goes for both sides of the ball.

exactly.

Youre right. But I wasnt really calling out that concept whatsoever. Just another comparing Bo to TO case, and that sh#t's gettin old.

Also, you can throw in the new conference and set of opponents as a cog in that continuity as well. Maybe the style of play isnt so much different, but it's still a whole schedule worth of new opponents, new schemes, new identities, new tendancies, and so on and so on. I'm just tired of the "back in '95 Tom Osborne bla bla bla". It was lightening in a bottle and to expect anything close to that is irresponsible. and unreasonable.

I get what you are saying, but simplicity on defense anymore doesn't work very well. NU ran a very simple aggressive defense back in the 90's through the dominating years. That style of defense was invented by Miami and FSU. Get the best athletes you can at every position and attack. Have your corners play man and everyone else apply pressure on the LOS. Todays offenses are a direct result of this style of defense. The spread loves to play this defense. I remember the first time I really saw this offense against the attacking defense it was the Rose Bowl when Penn St. played Oregon I think in 94 or 95. PSU won, but Oregon dealt them fits passing and running sideline to sideline creating matchup problems. I think FSU and Miami fell off because they still thought they could just out athlete everyone and they didn't keep pace with the changing times.

I get what you are saying, but simplicity on defense anymore doesn't work very well. NU ran a very simple aggressive defense back in the 90's through the dominating years. That style of defense was invented by Miami and FSU. Get the best athletes you can at every position and attack. Have your corners play man and everyone else apply pressure on the LOS. Todays offenses are a direct result of this style of defense. The spread loves to play this defense. I remember the first time I really saw this offense against the attacking defense it was the Rose Bowl when Penn St. played Oregon I think in 94 or 95. PSU won, but Oregon dealt them fits passing and running sideline to sideline creating matchup problems. I think FSU and Miami fell off because they still thought they could just out athlete everyone and they didn't keep pace with the changing times.

Well said. We are not some over complex defense that is more complex than most other college defenses. I read an article about Nick Saban last week and he makes his defenses know the playbook, know how to be multiple, etc. He, much like Pelini, won't put a player on the field until he knows the defense even if he is talented. And they run an equally complex defense. The issue is more, are the kids doing the classroom work and film work it takes to learn a college defense. Are they really giving it their best effort around the clock in all aspects (nutrition, weight training, conditioning, film study, practice effort, positive attitude, playbook study, asking questions, etc.) We've heard leaks from players on the team that there are guys who don't buy in 100% and actually do all these things... they cut corners in some areas. We, unlike Alabama, don't have the depth to be able to get away with losing some guys to laziness or poor choices. We need our team to be our team and to all do their part, which is why coach Pelini constantly preaches accountability amongst guys on the team. There's only so much a coach can do to get the kids who cut corners to change. He can make them run, yell at them, meet with them, talk with them, make them sit out or keep them off the field, but if they still choose to not buy in 100% he can't make them buy in.

Well said. We are not some over complex defense that is more complex than most other college defenses. I read an article about Nick Saban last week and he makes his defenses know the playbook, know how to be multiple, etc. He, much like Pelini, won't put a player on the field until he knows the defense even if he is talented. And they run an equally complex defense. The issue is more, are the kids doing the classroom work and film work it takes to learn a college defense. Are they really giving it their best effort around the clock in all aspects (nutrition, weight training, conditioning, film study, practice effort, positive attitude, playbook study, asking questions, etc.) We've heard leaks from players on the team that there are guys who don't buy in 100% and actually do all these things... they cut corners in some areas. We, unlike Alabama, don't have the depth to be able to get away with losing some guys to laziness or poor choices. We need our team to be our team and to all do their part, which is why coach Pelini constantly preaches accountability amongst guys on the team. There's only so much a coach can do to get the kids who cut corners to change. He can make them run, yell at them, meet with them, talk with them, make them sit out or keep them off the field, but if they still choose to not buy in 100% he can't make them buy in.

I agree, but leadership, and I mean vocal team leadership is a very hard thing to develop on a team. NU was very lucky in the 90's to not only have great players, but they had great leaders. The accountability is preached by the coaches, but they have to do it themselves. Most of these players have never had to stretch themselves very far to be successful. They have never had to because they have always been the best or near best on every team they have played on. TO had 20 years of a system of showing kids the process of what it takes to get on the field and truly be great. All it takes is a couple of really good years to get things going and it could take off.

It ultimately comes down to talent on defense. It's kind of a different deal on offense, where you can get away with not being talented at every position. If your RT sucks, for example, you can just make a living running to the left.

If you have holes on defense, other teams will exploit that, and there's not a whole lot you can hope to do about it.

It ultimately comes down to talent on defense. It's kind of a different deal on offense, where you can get away with not being talented at every position. If you're RT sucks, for example, you can just make a living running to the left.

If you have holes on defense, other teams will exploit that, and there's not a whole lot you can hope to do about it.

This is also very true. You have to have the talent to play at a high level. You can only scheme so much.

The defense this year as I see it is like a piece of clay. We have a lot of young guys that are untested and have very little experience in games. But we also have some veterans who have played and some who have started. We have a good mix of JUCO players at positions that need depth and experience. Pelini has had 2 years of Big 10 recruiting for this defense, and now its time for him to mold that clay into what is necessary to compete against the multiple offenses of the league. When we left the Big 12, we left the ultra spread, the need to have 6 DBs and 1 LB, and our recruiting had to change to get the talent to play 3 or 4 LB on the field at any given time. We have some exciting Linebackers coming up, we have lots of talent in the back. So with all of that sunshine, I see a defense that may be soft at times, may look great at times, but will continue to get better as the season progresses, and hopefully as the competition heats up, they become a solid unit.